2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I was much too young to remember him. Definitely read about him.

He was the guy pushing the envelop for most receptions in a season when with the Packers and young Favre/Holmgren.

Dude was our only weapon, always doubled, or bracketed or watched extremely close.  And was always open.

You would have loved him.  Really physical and on a funny note, he had nothing to do with the local media guys.

To me he was the best receiver in the NFL when he played who wasn't named Rice.  You can argue for a few others, but Sterling was amazing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

was the best receiver in the NFL when he played who wasn't named Rice.

I loved the comment from his brother Shannon during his HOF induction speech...

" I'm not even the best football player in my family"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He was the guy pushing the envelop for most receptions in a season when with the Packers and young Favre/Holmgren.

Dude was our only weapon, always doubled, or bracketed or watched extremely close.  And was always open.

You would have loved him.  Really physical and on a funny note, he had nothing to do with the local media guys.

To me he was the best receiver in the NFL when he played who wasn't named Rice.  You can argue for a few others, but Sterling was amazing.

Who if anyone could you compare him to recently or past his time?

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

First thought out of my mind was that he's the guy that others can be compared to.

He was as physical, if not more physical than TO.  Really tough to tackle.

Great hands.

Speed to beat you deep.

But really, he made his money with those short to intermediate routes where he would get a seam and just smoke a DB with his body.

I thought that AJ Brown last year (Titans) had a little Sharpe in him.

But really?  He was a little better version of Prime Larry Fitzgerald.  That's probably the one I'd settle on.

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

DeAndre Hopkins with Anquan Boldins power.     Sterling could beat you with route running, or just beat the DB up.   Excellent hands

31 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what are thoughts on antonio gibson - returner only or can he stretch the field and develop into a real wr?

Guy looks like he has some serious serious wheels.  Cordarelle patterson with WR upside?

Definitely a gadget guy, chess piece type dude. SPARQ meets the Gute threshold. 4.39 40. 

It’s gonna be up to the organization ultimately, but lots have him graded as a RB. He has tangible upside past just return duties. 

1 minute ago, festiveonion said:

Definitely a gadget guy, chess piece type dude. SPARQ meets the Gute threshold. 4.39 40. 

It’s gonna be up to the organization ultimately, but lots have him graded as a RB. He has tangible upside past just return duties. 

he's a WR or nothing at 6-2 IMO

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He absolutely HATED the media. One of my relatives lives near his old place on Taylor St. and shortly after he was forced to retire, you didn't dare go near the place.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

He absolutely HATED the media. One of my relatives lives near his old place on Taylor St. and shortly after he was forced to retire, you didn't dare go near the place.

If memory serves...regarding Sharpe and the media....some of the local guys were critical of him as a rookie.  And he never forgot that...or would forgive it.  

I have two Sharpe memories.

One game was against the Cowboys.  Maybe pre-Favre, in fact, probably pre-Favre.  Cowboys weren't very good.  Sharpe ran a slug-go for a 70-80 yard TD score.  From where we were sitting, we saw it all open up. (Me and Dad.) I read about it later it was said that was the last time Sharpe saw pure 1:1 coverage.

The other was after his holdout.  I think he was holding out to be the highest paid WR in the league...and I think he got $1 more than Rice at the time.  I believe the opener was against Detroit and it was a home opener.  I was there with my father.  Sharpe came out and was instantly booed by the fans.  He got this huge grin on his face and waved his arms to pump up the boos and crowd noise, which happened.  Then he went to the jugs machine and had it 5 yards from him and balls were just flying at him.  And he caught them.  With every catch, the boos changed to to cheers.

Good memories.

• Like 3