Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Reigns slamming Owens down on the stairs was uncomfortable as hell.  That's when I was like damn... some crazy stuff is about to go down.  

Reigns is a legend.  

Owens has taken that spot before a number of times (and similar-looking ones) and they never get any easier to watch, even though I'm fairly certain he has a working knowledge of how to execute it as safely as possibly (torsion in the neck and as close to tucking the chin to protect the back of the head without actually tucking the chin).  That spot and watching him take some of the spots I haven't seen him take since the Steenerico matches where he was taking backdrops onto the backrest-edge of a chair.

7 minutes ago, TLO said:

Payoff needs to be Sami or Jey dethroning Roman. I like Cody, but feels like a miss if there isn’t a big mania payoff coming in the bloodline storyline, and the tag titles aren’t big enough. 

They're going to split the titles again. Cody takes one, Jey/Sami takes the other. I want it to be Jey. 

4 minutes ago, TLO said:

Payoff needs to be Sami or Jey dethroning Roman. I like Cody, but feels like a miss if there isn’t a big mania payoff coming in the bloodline storyline, and the tag titles aren’t big enough. 

I disagree.  It should be one of those two that lands the "killing blow" so to speak, the blow that disintegrates Roman's Empire, but this story doesn't have to conclude on him losing the titles; there's a ton more downward spiral he can do after he loses the totems of his power.  That's the beauty of the dominant-for-so-long story arcs, the aftermath is often more entertaining than the build to the first climax because it's been so long (and arguably, we've actually never seen it) since Roman's been desperate or grasping for power.  So it's all legitimately new territory to explore and tell.  And it's arguably a story that hasn't been effectively told in wrestling since Hogan's first big fall from grace as the nWo/WCW champion.

5 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I disagree.  It should be one of those two that lands the "killing blow" so to speak, the blow that disintegrates Roman's Empire, but this story doesn't have to conclude on him losing the titles; there's a ton more downward spiral he can do after he loses the totems of his power.  That's the beauty of the dominant-for-so-long story arcs, the aftermath is often more entertaining than the build to the first climax because it's been so long (and arguably, we've actually never seen it) since Roman's been desperate or grasping for power.  So it's all legitimately new territory to explore and tell.  And it's arguably a story that hasn't been effectively told in wrestling since Hogan's first big fall from grace as the nWo/WCW champion.

Don’t disagree with this, and maybe payoff isn’t the right word, but I think you can have Sami win at Mania and still tell this story. 

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

They're going to split the titles again. Cody takes one, Jey/Sami takes the other. I want it to be Jey. 

I’m pro splitting the titles, but I’m curious to see how they go about it. Don’t really like the idea of Roman losing on both nights of (or before) Mania. 

59 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

so curious to see where they go with Jey now.

It will be interesting.  And I could be overthinking this, but I think there were some very purposeful word choices given to Roman to use tonight to plant seeds ahead of what was to come.  When have we heard him address Jey and Jimmy as "twins."  They're going to run this, from what I can see, to where Jey because he was mistrusting of Sami and constantly watching him, that he, as a result, paid much closer attention to how things were going down, how it became less about family/"The Bloodline" and all about Roman.  In a way, I think it's actually a bit of a blessing that health matters kept them from doing the Acknowledgment ceremony with Sika and Rikishi... it gives Jey a potential ally who could likely take a bump and further germinate the seed of doubt in the form of his dad.

Haytch more or less said in the press conference just now that he wouldn't count on Rock's schedule allowing him to be at Mania this year - and that knowing Rock he wouldn't commit to doing it unless he could give it his all in every aspect.  They can reasonably stretch the Roman/Rock stuff to next year's Mania if Rock's schedule allows it.  But I don't think we're going to see any physical altercation feuds of any major level between Jey and Roman; we could see Roman try to order Jey's brothers to turn on him and take him out, but that also furthers Jey's argument that Roman's never been about the family if he's willing to tear down family just to build himself back up.  You could even make the argument that he could see from Sami what it meant to protect family - that there were some steps that were just too far.

But the cinematic way this ends most appropriately is something akin to a trope we've seen in any number of sports and sports combat movies, one that comes to mind is Varsity Blues when the players refuse to take the field in order to keep the coach/staff from injecting another pain killer into the injured knee of the running back so he can go back out there... and effectively Roman keeps calling on each uce to intercede to help him out and one by one they turn their backs on him, leaving him to take his beating and eat his loss for a full fall-from-grace.  For another reference, think the final fight between Maximus and Commodus in Gladiator.  You add further "choosing family" drama to that if it's in a match versus the Rock and you do something like a gimmick match (call it a Tribal Circle match or something - no ropes, all "family"/or at least Samoan plants surrounding the ring, no boots, no gloves, etc.), that gives a much more au naturale feel.

• Like 1

Also, to add on to what I said above about Roman being likely pushed towards bringing up certain word choices or topics, I know that Heyman has been one of the main drivers for this Bloodline storyline, but the line Roman had to Sami about "do this or go back to doing Jackass stuff" felt very, very much Hunter's style of blurring the 4th wall, which I think was also a Dusty thing.  Great small thing to help make it feel real.