Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

Seems like poor booking to announce Cody's return and then have him win at 30 but I'll take the Elite reference in his celebration. Looking forward to Omega doing his Nash impression when he too sweets the camera during his entrance with a "right back atcha nightmare!"

I don't follow WWE much outside of watching Sami clips but the man and the bloodline program itself is the hottest thing wrestling has had in a good while. Here's hoping they capitalize on it and make a star out of him

2 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Seems like poor booking to announce Cody's return and then have him win at 30 but I'll take the Elite reference in his celebration. Looking forward to Omega doing his Nash impression when he too sweets the camera during his entrance with a "right back atcha nightmare!"

I don't follow WWE much outside of watching Sami clips but the man and the bloodline program itself is the hottest thing wrestling has had in a good while. Here's hoping they capitalize on it and make a star out of him

Something in AEW has gotten stale for me. IDK what it is, but I am not as excited to see what they are going to do. Maybe its because the Elite is treading water. Maybe its because MJF and Bryan just isn't interesting to me. Maybe it's Hangman going from one of the best long term storylines in wrestling to, well, throw in feuds. Maybe its that all those guys I was excited about never really got pushes or have gotten lost (Keith Lee, Malachi Black, Swerve, Miro, Adam Cole and the whole UE, Andrade, Saraya, Athena, Paige VanZant). Maybe I am bored of Jericho factions. Maybe it was Cody leaving and costing them more name recognition then they or I realized. Maybe it was never really being able to capitalize on their homegrown talent, they've pushed guys like Wardlow, Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, and put them in big spots that watched their star fade immediately after the blow off. JungleHook is lame and Hook should be a prize fighter. 

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is or if its just all those things rolled together, but AEW is no longer my clear favorite anymore. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Something in AEW has gotten stale for me. IDK what it is, but I am not as excited to see what they are going to do. Maybe its because the Elite is treading water. Maybe its because MJF and Bryan just isn't interesting to me. Maybe it's Hangman going from one of the best long term storylines in wrestling to, well, throw in feuds. Maybe its that all those guys I was excited about never really got pushes or have gotten lost (Keith Lee, Malachi Black, Swerve, Miro, Adam Cole and the whole UE, Andrade, Saraya, Athena, Paige VanZant). Maybe I am bored of Jericho factions. Maybe it was Cody leaving and costing them more name recognition then they or I realized. Maybe it was never really being able to capitalize on their homegrown talent, they've pushed guys like Wardlow, Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, and put them in big spots that watched their star fade immediately after the blow off. JungleHook is lame and Hook should be a prize fighter. 

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is or if it’s just all those things rolled together, but AEW is no longer my clear favorite anymore. 

AEW needs to move on from factions. I just don’t think it works long term anymore. Look at wcw at the end and TNA. It seems like half their roster was in a faction. You have to build guys as individuals. The Jericho thing has gone on way too long. 

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

AEW needs to move on from factions. I just don’t think it works long term anymore. Look at wcw at the end and TNA. It seems like half their roster was in a faction. You have to build guys as individuals. The Jericho thing has gone on way too long. 

Factions arent the problem IMO. It's how they are being used right now. BBC is an afterthought right now, and no one really knows if Danielson is even with them anymore. On the flip side, Jon Moxley had a good run with the belt while a member of the BBC and his affiliation was still clear and yet separate from his title run. 

The best storyline in AEW history, IMO, was the Hangman vs Omega/The Elite. The betrayal from the Bucks, leveraging the long standing relationship, etc. THAT's how you use factions. I am not saying you have to constantly break them up or pit them against their own members but it creates meaningful relationships between talent and THAT is what makes good stories. It's why the Sami storyline is so good. He ingratiated himself into the faction but his old relationships has gotten in the way. They do work long term, you just have to think long term. When you look at a faction and its members you gotta sit down and decide how this will benefit each member and what the endgame of the faction is. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Factions are all right if user properly and the pin is pulled at the right time.

Bloodline is it done at its best. Problem for AEW is their factions as a casual observer are not booked well. Which also means when they do decide to break them up the group impact isn’t there, because the fans aren’t invested enough.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Factions arent the problem IMO. It's how they are being used right now.

This.  Though AEW is a shade oversaturated on factions, the same way that early 2000's WWE and WCW were.  At this point the faction feels more gimmick than it does sensible for the storyline.  I feel like AEW is trying to do what the Japanese do where it's more like different camps/dojos or, for those that don't follow NJPW and All-Japan all that closely, its akin to different mega-gyms in MMA - there are rivalries between the heads of the gyms and sometimes between certain, top guys in the camps, but you don't often see a ton of faction vs faction matches except as one-offs at supercards.

Having multiple heel stables running isn't a bad thing and your heel stables should always outnumber your babyface stables, but that's also because babyface stables really should only be ad hoc as needed to combat heel factions; you didn't see Sting's Squadron running around calling themselves that except when they were needed as a unit to face the Horsemen.  The Union was only formed because, and to, combat the Corporation/Corporate Ministry.

It feels like guys nowadays do get chucked into a stable, like I said, as a gimmick... so that the faction is what they're then written/storylined for rather then their personality or individual character.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:23 PM, biggio7 said:

Dominik is bad. He isn't hated like a heel. He is hated because he sucks.

Yeah, but this is him at his peak. He plays this smarmy dweeb perfectly because that’s who he is. I think he’s fine in this role. But to make him a redemption story (which will happen eventually) won’t work. He’s not good at anything other than the gold that is this prison Dom stuff he’s been handed. And he can’t do that forever…although it’d be kinda funny if he did.

Factions are fine when they make sense. Throwing random guys with nothing to do together is what makes factions and tag teams bleh. There has to be a dynamic of…almost family. And yeah. The Bloodline is amazing because all of its members can conceivably main event a show in a singles match and no1 would blink. I thought it would diminish Roman at first. Boy was I wrong pretty much immediately. He went from being the worst and cringiest thing on tv to the best in decades. I think we all knew this could be the case, which is why his booking in the 2015-2018 era was so frustrating. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Why did Rhea choose Charlotte? C'mon man, enough of Super EST. They literally don't know what to do with Bianca anymore that they had her and Alexa Bliss literally copying, move for move, Scary Movie 2. 

To be fair, logically it would make sense for her to want to avenge the Wrestlemania loss from a few years ago.  I can't blame them for that