NFL Lead Investigator Recommended No Suspension For Elliot

Broncofan

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

i mean Oakland just had their rookie CB accused of rape and later found out he had nothing to do with it.

That's not what happened at all.

Not having enough to charge someone is not the same as saying they had nothing to do with it. 

Not saying Conley committed a crime, but no charges filed doesn't mean what you are suggesting it does.

Although the fact that Conley got no suspension may help Zeke during his appeal. Probably not though.

12 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

That's not what happened at all.

Not having enough to charge someone is not the same as saying they had nothing to do with it. 

Not saying Conley committed a crime, but no charges filed doesn't mean what you are suggesting it does.

Although the fact that Conley got no suspension may help Zeke during his appeal. Probably not though.

I thought it came out that the girl in Conleys case just made it up?

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I thought it came out that the girl in Conleys case just made it up?

I'll PM you. Not against forum rules, but it has nothing to do with this thread and I don't want to derail it further with non-football talk. This was my mistake for even bringing it up.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I'll PM you. Not against forum rules, but it has nothing to do with this thread and I don't want to derail it further with non-football talk. This was my mistake for even bringing it up.

Thanks, no need to further pursue my ill-advised post guys. Dome set me straight

I have it hand it to Goodell, he did the right thing when he very easily could have let it slide.  It would have been very easy.  No arrest, one of the brightest young stars in the game, leading rusher, plays on America's team - just let it go.  It sure would have been better for his popularity and job security to not rock the boat.  But he's clearly a man of principles.  A man with integrity.  I'm proud of him.

38 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I have it hand it to Goodell, he did the right thing when he very easily could have let it slide.  It would have been very easy.  No arrest, one of the brightest young stars in the game, leading rusher, plays on America's team - just let it go.  It sure would have been better for his popularity and job security to not rock the boat.  But he's clearly a man of principles.  A man with integrity.  I'm proud of him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/896176672881254400

Just now, matt79511 said:

There are well over a dozen of players in the NFL that were accused of DV prior to going into the NFL.  Key word, prior.  David Irving (Cowboys), Frank Clark (Seahawks), Roger Lewis (Giants), Joe Mixon (Bengals).   You can't punish someone for violating the NFL personal conduct policy if they're not in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Gmen said:

There are well over a dozen of players in the NFL that were accused of DV prior to going into the NFL.  Key word, prior.  David Irving (Cowboys), Frank Clark (Seahawks), Roger Lewis (Giants), Joe Mixon (Bengals).   You can't punish someone for violating the NFL personal conduct policy if they're not in the NFL.

Be that as it may, the league has only upheld their post-Ray Rice "6 games/1 strike" mandate on 2 out of 9 occasions on suspensions for personal conduct that may have involved domestic violence, per ESPN. Their objective here isn't the achievement of justice, it's the demonstration of power. Hence the prioritization of punitive justice over rehabilitation.

Many wise men across many centuries have warned us not to misconstrue legality with morality. But when a haphazardly engendered justice system imposes its legality without consistency, then it takes a particularly warped mind to confuse the two.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

However, isn't the incident from July 2016? If so, this means it was after he was drafted, went to OTAs, signed his rookie contract, and was about to enter his rookie training camp. So if it was from July 2016, he was already in the NFL.

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

Because that still constitutes assault.

You know, except it doesn't when the other party is entirely willing. People want to keep over looking that fact. The NFL has stated it wouldn't consider that at all in their decision. Then they say it would have nothing to do with their punishment.

My facts could be off here as I don't even care enough to dig up the quotes from Goodell. I could not be remembering it correctly. But that's what I remember. At least two instances of Goodell saying that the other stuff with Elliot wouldn't be a factor. It's obviously nonsense. But it's laughable for them then to go and mention it in their letter announcing his punishment.

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

However, isn't the incident from July 2016? If so, this means it was after he was drafted, went to OTAs, signed his rookie contract, and was about to enter his rookie training camp. So if it was from July 2016, he was already in the NFL.

Gmen is referring to Tyreek Hill, who Matt referenced in the link he posted as an example of the NFL not punishing DV. Tyreek Hill's DV arrest occurred in 2014, long before he was in the NFL. Elliott's did occur while he was in the NFL, yes. Which was Gmen's point.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:36 AM, Texasmade said:

Regardless of anyone's feelings on the outcome or the NFL's process, Zeke needs to get himself right personally. So far, there's nothing he's done that he can't come back from, and still have a productive NFL career, while serving as a functional member of society, but he needs to get some altitude and fully understand the why of his suspension, and take the appropriate measures to correct them. Frankly, Zeke having to operate under an umbrella of zero tolerance, harsh as it may be, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

I agree with this. His name has been in the news way too much. I bet his suspension will be dropped to 3-4 but if he screws up again he will get hit with 8 and probably no chance of a reduction 

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Gmen is referring to Tyreek Hill, who Matt referenced in the link he posted as an example of the NFL not punishing DV. Tyreek Hill's DV arrest occurred in 2014, long before he was in the NFL. Elliott's did occur while he was in the NFL, yes. Which was Gmen's point.

Ahh, thank you! It sometimes gets hard to follow when the threads get this long.

Archived