NFL Lead Investigator Recommended No Suspension For Elliot

Broncofan

1 hour ago, Bednarik60 said:

One of the worst-unfair suspensions in recent memory. The guy didn't do anything. 

Not to mention, even if he did, he shouldn't lose his job or pay over it. 

Any man that beats up women deserves that and more. Had a guy like this abuse a family member, can't say I didn't want to murder this sack of **** or at least beat him to an inch of his life.

I don't get the how some guys justify things like this or make it appear not as serious as it actually is. 

25 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If he did actually commit a crime, he certainly should. 

If some one is seriously hurt then yeah, i can understand that, but its still up to the employer to decide(which in this case should be Jerry Jones, who's is actually paying him)

This is how it works in the real world, if i run a store(any kind of store), and a employee of mine is charged with, a assault 4 or 3 domestic violence where some one pushes there spouse or yells at them or acts threatening or slaps them, something a long those lines, and the employee had a pretty clean(nothing serious) criminal record and never showed any history of violence at the work place and is a good worker for the most part, odds are im keeping the person, they made a mistake but they still deserve to earn a living. 

If the state presses charges and give the employer jail time, then that is that, it was clearly serious enough for jail time, then maybe/most likely you let the employee go. 

Back to Zeke, the state isn't pressing anything, he was proved innocent after a investigation, if it was serious and worthy of a 6 game suspension,  most likely he would be doing jail time. 

18 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

I hope he appeals and gets a 2 game suspension. 

I also wanted the Eagles and our young defense to play the best version of the Cowboys, so im kinda down about this funny enough. 

Cant imagine it would get reduced that far. Maybe to 3 or 4 but 2 seems like the initial thought of 6 meant nothing 

The NFL isn't going to reduce anything willingly. They'll fight tooth and nail  because anything less would be conceding the authority they won in court in previous cases. This is about bargaining power as much as anything. Even if an arbitrator rules that way, it's going to court. Elliot can delay the punishment, but he's not going to beat it.

I'd also point out that this is only the second player suspended without being charged with any crime. The previous player never bothered to fight it. It comes the season after the NFL confirmed its authority over the players with Spygate. And to go with 6 games, with no reports that it really isn't a true 6 game suspension the way it was with Roethlisberger, indicates that the NFL is feeling its oats and wants to prove a point. It's really hard to believe that the league has more evidence against Elliot than past offenders who got off far more leniently despite actual convictions in a court of law.

It remains highly troubling to me that the league office continues to take such a hard stance against its players. The league office seems entirely content to generate awful headlines and trash even its biggest name players. And the more time that passes, the more obvious its about proving its authority and future CBA negotiations rather than the facts of the case, consistency/fairness, or what's good for the product on the field.

A player who has transgressed or who has had his name thrown out in public has no way of knowing what punishment he's going to get. Everything the league does is arbitrary.

Isn't the reason the suspension is 6 games is because that's what the (relatively) new policy dictates? If that's the case, then it seems that players can and do know precisely what the punishment will be.

Arguing the NFL is simply generating negative press by suspending Elliot is curious, considering this whole overdue drive for accountability was spurned by Rice's ridiculously light punishment and all the negative press that garnered.

The reason the NFL doles out the punishment is precisely because the NFL doesn't operate like other businesses, by design. How this was handled is how the owners, collectively, and along with the players via the CBA, have determined it should be handled.

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

How this was handled is how the owners, collectively, and along with the players via the CBA, have determined it should be handled.

And I am sure the NFLPA and the players will make changing the system one of their major bargaining points when the new CBA comes due in ... oh god ... it's only three years before we start that whole circus again.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was mainly suspended for destroying his phone.

Semantics about what the NFL was able to make stick to get Brady suspended don’t really change that it originated from an accusation of on field violation. Zeke and Ben (if the other wasn’t clear) are the only two situations where an accusation of criminal behavior without an actual charge has led to a player being suspended.

I’m not sure that fact much matters, as the NFL is allowed to use a different burden of proof than the legal system when handing out suspensions, but that’s the point he was trying to make.

On 8/12/2017 at 2:56 PM, Gmen said:

I have it hand it to Goodell, he did the right thing when he very easily could have let it slide.  It would have been very easy.  No arrest, one of the brightest young stars in the game, leading rusher, plays on America's team - just let it go.  It sure would have been better for his popularity and job security to not rock the boat.  But he's clearly a man of principles.  A man with integrity.  I'm proud of him.

Roger Goodell, a man with integrity....? LOL

Archived