NFL Lead Investigator Recommended No Suspension For Elliot

Broncofan

1 hour ago, hornbybrown said:

TMZ have released pics of her injuries. A lot of brusing, if he did that to her he is lucky to only get 6 games

Re-released them might be a better way of putting it. She posted them to her own Instagram account a year ago.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hopefully it's not a PR being around move on the part of either party and Zeke actually gets something out of it.

A bit of personal info here, I'm friends with the FB coach at John Burroughs, and if you ask him, Zeke was a model HS student and never would have done anything like this. It's sad because the Zeke he knows is a well spoken, smart, squared away dude who crushed academics in HS, was on his way to any school in the country that he wanted to go to, and sure as hell was not a guy who would beat up women.

Sadly, having played college athletics (and I don't want anyone thinking this is the norm in every athletics program, but it can be), the groupthink involved in being around your teammates in an environment where you're given a pass to get away with far more than the average student - it can often only take the influence of a few bad apples to get perfectly stand-up guys to do things you'd never think them capable of.  It's something that's run rampant in college fraternities for a long time.

One thing, however, that irritates me is I keep seeing Josh brown's name brought up and, sorry, but while they may be similar situations, these aren't comparable cases.  Honestly, if anything, Zeke was being scrutinized more closely and the league took their time considerably more in this investigation because the realized they crapped the bed with Josh Brown - who was suspended under the Player Conduct Policy (hence only receiving 1 game) not the Domestic Violence Policy, because the Sheriff's documents/records which contained his admission of spousal abuse weren't released until after the League had handed down sentence, and the player was released within a week of the release of those documents.  Brown is also 38; were he to attempt to comeback, I'd be pretty darn confident the league would slap him with a DVP violation suspension, and he knows it, which is why he's effectively retired.

17 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Sadly, having played college athletics (and I don't want anyone thinking this is the norm in every athletics program, but it can be), the groupthink involved in being around your teammates in an environment where you're given a pass to get away with far more than the average student - it can often only take the influence of a few bad apples to get perfectly stand-up guys to do things you'd never think them capable of.  It's something that's run rampant in college fraternities for a long time.

One thing, however, that irritates me is I keep seeing Josh brown's name brought up and, sorry, but while they may be similar situations, these aren't comparable cases.  Honestly, if anything, Zeke was being scrutinized more closely and the league took their time considerably more in this investigation because the realized they crapped the bed with Josh Brown - who was suspended under the Player Conduct Policy (hence only receiving 1 game) not the Domestic Violence Policy, because the Sheriff's documents/records which contained his admission of spousal abuse weren't released until after the League had handed down sentence, and the player was released within a week of the release of those documents.  Brown is also 38; were he to attempt to comeback, I'd be pretty darn confident the league would slap him with a DVP violation suspension, and he knows it, which is why he's effectively retired.

He wasn't involved much with Zeke while he was at OSU, but obviously stayed in touch. At Burroughs they think he's a somewhat controversial idiot who has given Goodell every reason to suspend him given the weed shops and partying and whatnot, but never could imagine him crossing the line to violence.

Not that it changes anything, just wanted to share what people who knew him growing up thought.

39 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He wasn't involved much with Zeke while he was at OSU, but obviously stayed in touch. At Burroughs they think he's a somewhat controversial idiot who has given Goodell every reason to suspend him given the weed shops and partying and whatnot, but never could imagine him crossing the line to violence.

Not that it changes anything, just wanted to share what people who knew him growing up thought.

Alex Gleitman of Bucknuts said he knew Zeke had some issues while at OSU

Not that he was necessarily doing stuff like this, but that Zeke has some stuff he needs to address about his behavior and off-field actions

Wait...didn't Goodell say multiple times that they were only investigating or looking at the domestic violence in this investigation? Why does the report mention the pulling down of a woman's top on page 1? I mean, I know why. They want to throw anything and everything out there to justify their decision.

Regardless of anyone's feelings on the outcome or the NFL's process, Zeke needs to get himself right personally. So far, there's nothing he's done that he can't come back from, and still have a productive NFL career, while serving as a functional member of society, but he needs to get some altitude and fully understand the why of his suspension, and take the appropriate measures to correct them. Frankly, Zeke having to operate under an umbrella of zero tolerance, harsh as it may be, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

43 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Clearly a PR move considering the lack of evidence.  They dont care if he's guilty or not, it's just about perception.

You may not be persuaded by the evidence, though you also likely aren't privy to a great deal of it. However, calling it a "lack of evidence" is dubious at best. Is this decision driven at least in part by perception? Of course it is. The NFL is a business that depends on people viewing it in a relatively positive light. The NFL has, as of late, had an objectively terrible track record with regard to domestic violence. It is and should be well known that they are taking steps to combat that perception in order to regain positive favor among casual viewers. But that this decision is driving in part by a desire to create a more positive perception of the NFL does not minimize the conduct that is being punished. That the NFL is getting more proactive about domestic violence is a good thing. That a part of that drive is about perception is, frankly, not unexpected and largely irrelevant. The NFL being more proactive about domestic violence is a necessary and positive step.

14 hours ago, cddolphin said:

So the NFL could interview "more than a dozen" eye-witnesses and "thousands" of texts, but the prosecutor somehow didn't have enough evidence? None of this adds up.

Also they say how much evidence they reviewed and how many witness they interviewed but don't state what came of any of it. They just say he "violated NFL policy."

But at least he can take it up with the NFL and see if they want to overturn the NFL's original ruling.

3 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Wait...didn't Goodell say multiple times that they were only investigating or looking at the domestic violence in this investigation? Why does the report mention the pulling down of a woman's top on page 1? I mean, I know why. They want to throw anything and everything out there to justify their decision.

Because that still constitutes assault.

5 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Alex Gleitman of Bucknuts said he knew Zeke had some issues while at OSU

Not that he was necessarily doing stuff like this, but that Zeke has some stuff he needs to address about his behavior and off-field actions

This is true. Zek and bosa were both over the top wild at Ohio state. But zek never did anything like this. 

So did some new event occur or is this new info on an old issue? Dont get me wrong I'm obviously against DV but i was shocked to hear 6 games unless something new and definitive came out.

i mean Oakland just had their rookie CB accused of rape and later found out he had nothing to do with it. Cost him millions. So i assume the league has some strong evidence or is this a black eye to the league that he has been in the news alot?

17 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I dunno. I admit if there wasn't evidence of her lying about details of some of these incidents that it would be a lot easier to believe her version over his. As it stands, she is a proven liar and he is just a possible, even if likely, liar/abuser.

"In the commissioner's judgement, there has been no persuasive evidence presented on your behalf with respect to how Ms Thompson's obvious injuries were incurred other than conjecture"

"There was no evidence that anyone else could have caused these injuries"

So he had to prove how the injuries happened to another person to clear himself? I don't think that is how it is supposed to work whether it is the judicial system or the NFL. O.J. would have searched for the real killer in other places than the golf course if that was the case.

The difference is there was MOUNTAINS of evidence linking OJ to the murders, and 0 for anybody else.

Also, Zeke beating up a man who may know about his potential involvement probably doesn't help matters any.

5 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Also they say how much evidence they reviewed and how many witness they interviewed but don't state what came of any of it. They just say he "violated NFL policy."

But at least he can take it up with the NFL and see if they want to overturn the NFL's original ruling.

The conspiracy theorist/cynic in me thinks your last sentence is spot on.  Perhaps the league/Goodell can look tough on DV by handing down this suspension, then the newly-formed appeal board can show how much more "fair" the new discipline/appeals process is by giving Zeke a huge reduction due to lack of clear evidence.  A bit of a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation.

Archived