NFL Lead Investigator Recommended No Suspension For Elliot

Broncofan

1 hour ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Wow another suspension for the cowboys! Shocker! But they're just unlucky!

Trolling like this isn't acceptable.  If I see you doing it again, you can expect a formal warning and then it's on Webby whether or not you get the designation of being the first person banned from the new site.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

So the NFL could interview "more than a dozen" eye-witnesses and "thousands" of texts, but the prosecutor somehow didn't have enough evidence? None of this adds up.

You need a ton of evidence to prosecute someone for criminal charges. Evidence could be very strong but not enough. 

I'm sure the NFL knows more than we do and did their own research on the matter. Plus, as said before in this thread, the NFL does not need as much as evidence to suspend Elliott. Their guidelines are much less than an criminal investigation. If they needed that much evidence then nobody would ever be suspended for anything. 

They are obviously very confident Elliott is guilty and they have an absolute zero tolerance on domestic violence. Something the NFL is guilty of by far over any other sport. 

Eh. Either the NFL finally got it right for once ( I doubt it) or Zeke actually did it despite the texts brought up earlier. 

I'm just gonna assume the NFL screwed up and Zeke is just a douchebag. 

The bar for Criminal vs Civil likely isn't the most important criteria here

Its how the advertisers and networks feel - they are the source of all the TV money that this league runs on. Hence all the commentary about Protecting the Shield

The court of public opinion/perception is the one they are worried about the most, and with the NFL hell-bent on winning over more female viewers, its not difficult to understand why they did what they did. The NFL is also facing a huge PR backlash over the CTE studies-  and guess who decides if Little Johnny is gonna play tackle football or another sport ?  Moms.... Who coincidentally, are mostly women.

Really looking forward to watching Jerruh fight this one, hopefully he has time to put his pants back on before the appeal.

That criminal charges weren't filed has nothing to do with what the NFL is looking at. I know it has been stated in this thread a number of times, but it bears repeating because apparently people still don't quite understand the difference between criminal guilt and non-criminal culpability. That's not necessarily an indictment of anybody, because if you haven't spend any time learning about the criminal system it can seem a bit strange, but they are fundamentally different things. As was mentioned before, it's why OJ Simpson can be acquitted of criminal charges, yet help civilly responsible for causing the deaths of the people he was accused of murdering. One is seeking to determine guilt beyond any reasonable doubt, the other is seeking to determine whether a person is more likely than not responsible for what happened. "More likely than not" is worlds apart from "beyond a reasonable doubt".

And if anybody has any questions about circumstances when a prosecutor might choose not to file or further pursue criminal charges despite the existence of some level of compelling evidence, feel free to ask. Suffice it to say, it is not the least bit curious to me that a suspension would be handed down in an instance such as this despite the absence of criminal charges.

Sucks for the Cowboys. I think if they appeal it will be reduced to like 3 games. I think the NFL just wants to appear to be coming down hard on these charges. They don't want bad press. If they came out and said 2 games everyone would be saying "that's it!?!" In reality, the NFL is about money, and debatably its #1 money making team's best young player is doubtful to be suspended that long. 

17 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

That criminal charges weren't filed has nothing to do with what the NFL is looking at. I know it has been stated in this thread a number of times, but it bears repeating because apparently people still don't quite understand the difference between criminal guilt and non-criminal culpability. That's not necessarily an indictment of anybody, because if you haven't spend any time learning about the criminal system it can seem a bit strange, but they are fundamentally different things. As was mentioned before, it's why OJ Simpson can be acquitted of criminal charges, yet help civilly responsible for causing the deaths of the people he was accused of murdering. One is seeking to determine guilt beyond any reasonable doubt, the other is seeking to determine whether a person is more likely than not responsible for what happened. "More likely than not" is worlds apart from "beyond a reasonable doubt".

And if anybody has any questions about circumstances when a prosecutor might choose not to file or further pursue criminal charges despite the existence of some level of compelling evidence, feel free to ask. Suffice it to say, it is not the least bit curious to me that a suspension would be handed down in an instance such as this despite the absence of criminal charges.

I find it kind of funny that this thread is basically full of people yelling about how this makes no sense and then the only 2 lawyers in the thread are like 'eh yeah this all works'.

17 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This is worth reading for anyone concerned, upset, or honestly just interested in this case. This makes it pretty compelling that, if nothing else, the NFL sure did their due diligence with this.

I dunno. I admit if there wasn't evidence of her lying about details of some of these incidents that it would be a lot easier to believe her version over his. As it stands, she is a proven liar and he is just a possible, even if likely, liar/abuser.

"In the commissioner's judgement, there has been no persuasive evidence presented on your behalf with respect to how Ms Thompson's obvious injuries were incurred other than conjecture"

"There was no evidence that anyone else could have caused these injuries"

So he had to prove how the injuries happened to another person to clear himself? I don't think that is how it is supposed to work whether it is the judicial system or the NFL. O.J. would have searched for the real killer in other places than the golf course if that was the case.

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I find it kind of funny that this thread is basically full of people yelling about how this makes no sense and then the only 2 lawyers in the thread are like 'eh yeah this all works'.

But does that say more about the judicial system, or the opinion of the majority?

Archived