Dolphins sign CB Xavien Howard to record deal

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

6th-8th not record deal.

Take back what I said anyways, he signed a 5 year 55m deal in January of 2010 making him the 3rd highest paid secondary player in the NFL. You didnt say record deal.. you said big money.. thats big money that won a super bowl

6 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

When they pay him, "Who? Overpaid. This is why they always suck."

If they didn't resign him, "Typical Dolphins lose all the best players. This is why they always suck."

I really thought they were going to trade Howard and get a couple of high draft picks in return. You know, a rebuild. Now it seems like it's not a rebuild, instead it was a typical multi-veteran bloated contract dump and Miami is instead looking to fight for a 2019 wildcard spot with a buncha young'uns. ;) 

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

I really thought they were going to trade Howard and get a couple of high draft picks in return. You know, a rebuild. Now it seems like it's not a rebuild, instead it was a typical multi-veteran bloated contract dump and Miami is instead looking to fight for a 2019 wildcard spot with a buncha young'uns. ;) 

Complete re-build doesn't mean you void your team of all Talent? You have to build around something?

He's one of the few pieces. Not like they've kept much else to build around? Have to start somewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, Danger said:

Could make that argument. Could also say that it's the Pats who've won every which way regardless, but maybe.

If you’re going to omit the Pats because they’re going to be good anyway, then you have to omit the Redskins and the Jets because they’re going to be bad anyway. 

Peterson doesn’t really fit that criteria because the Cards were coming off a 10-6 season and had two following playoff berths. You could also point to the Revis-Pats, Harris/Talib-Broncos, Sherman-Seahawks, or Joseph-Texans as deals that have panned out well for the teams. There’ll always be more misses than hits in this sport, but big CB deals don’t seem to be any more troublesome than any other’s.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You could also point to the Revis-Pats, Harris/Talib-Broncos, Sherman-Seahawks, or Joseph-Texans as deals that have panned out well for the teams

Can't speak to the rest of 'em, but that Joseph to the Texans one is definitely enhanced by the arrival of JJ Watt that same year.

Joseph paid big dividends for Houston, but he was one of many changes that offseason.

20 hours ago, FinSting said:

I don't see why. The cornerstone of our defense is going to be the secondary like NE does it. The key pieces of our defense are Howard and Fitzpatrick. If we can move Fitz to FS, McCann back to the slot, and find a solid #2 CB who doesn't get beat like a drum, the secondary will be good. Then it's a matter of building up front. 

On 5/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, footbull3196 said:

I would say the Dolphins would have been better off following suit with what they did involving Lamar Miller and Jarvis Landry and not paid them considering that both were looking for huge amounts of money and weren’t even top 10 players at their positions

I would normally agree, but this was a key position and he's a major piece to the puzzle. And he's definitely top 10 at this position. Plus it won't be so bad as the salary cap goes up and other guys will get bigger contracts. The money is good now, but wait until he sees what other players get at his position. The Dolphins are going to have a ton of cap space next year and a lot of it has to be filled. I'd rather that money go to a guy heading into his prime. Outside of this, the Dolphins aren't going to be major spenders. If anything, they may do the Cleveland approach and take on bad contracts for draft picks. 

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Can't speak to the rest of 'em, but that Joseph to the Texans one is definitely enhanced by the arrival of JJ Watt that same year.

Joseph paid big dividends for Houston, but he was one of many changes that offseason.

Sure, a single player will pretty much never singe handedly carry a team or offense/defense. One CB can’t do that. 

More just defending CB-deals, specifically. Disagree with the notion that good teams/FOs don’t pay corners.

• Like 1