2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

43 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Reasoning? Not saying you’re wrong but he’s 20 years old and certainly flashed that ability as a ROOKIE in the playoffs.

Because he is a wing that isn’t a great 3 point shooter. Yeah he had a good rookie year but he regressed this year and his numbers at duke show he is probably closer to a 35-36% 3PT shooter than a 43% he was as a rookie. And that’s on just 3 attempts a game. He needs to be making that percentage at 7-8 a game. Unless you can dominate down low like Giannis then you gotta have a Really good 3 ball as a wing or do something more than iso. Even then his scoring isn’t out of this world.

Then you want to use a SSS of 19 games from his rookie year but it wasn’t like those numbers jumped off the page. He went 18-4-2 on 47% shooting in the playoffs last year. This year it dropped to 15-6-2 on 43% shooting (once again a SSS). Just because he can iso a bit isn’t going to make him a top 10 player. Just because he is young doesn’t mean he will be a top 10 player either. 

There are too many other young stars that have looked better in the early part of their careers plus the guys that are still up there. 

Young guys [under 25] I’d take over Tatum right now (not in order):

Doncic

Trae

DLo

Booker

Giannis

Jokic

Embiid

Porzingas 

He is in range with JMurray Fox Bagley JJJ etc.

and right now there are still guys like KD Kyrie Steph Harden PG Kawhi etc to compete with for a top 10 spot. 

Edited by MightyMouse07

53 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Because he is a wing that isn’t a great 3 point shooter. Yeah he had a good rookie year but he regressed this year and his numbers at duke show he is probably closer to a 35-36% 3PT shooter than a 43% he was as a rookie. Unless you can dominate down low like Giannis then you gotta have a better 3 ball in your game to be top 10.

Then you want to use a SSS of 19 games from his rookie year but it wasn’t like those numbers jumped off the page. He went 18-4-2 on 47% shooting in the playoffs last year. This year it dropped to 15-6-2 on 43% shooting (once again a SSS). Just because he can iso a bit isn’t going to make him a top 10 player. Just because he is young doesn’t mean he will be a top 10 player either. 

There are too many other young stars that have looked better in the early part of their careers plus the guys that are still up there. 

Young guys [under 25] I’d take over Tatum right now (not in order):

Doncic

Trae

DLo

Booker

Giannis

Jokic

Embiid

Porzingas 

He is in range with JMurray Fox Bagley JJJ etc.

and right now there are still guys like KD Kyrie Steph Harden PG Kawhi etc to compete with for a top 10 spot. 

James Harden is a career 36% 3PT shooter

KD is a career 38% 3PT shooter 

Kawhi 38%

PG 38%

Tatum sitting at 40%, he shot 37% this year as a 20 year old Sophomore. So tell me why we should expect him to dip to 35%? Tatum absolutely has top 10 player upside, will he get there? Who knows but people discrediting him because he was 20 and didn’t handle his entire role changing need to pump the brakes as much as people saying he’s a lock to be a superstar. 

The whole point is he’s easily the best singular piece available unless the Grizzlies have the #2 pick available 

Edited by MookieMonstah

14 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Knicks will offer something along the lines of the #3 pick and Mitchell Robinson.  Griffin will ask Zion if he’s okay playing with RJ Barrett again.  😂

Can someone tell me what kind of upside Robinson has? I haven't seen him play but a lot of people seem to think he's a valuable asset

I made an edit for a reason. I should have included the need for if you aren’t an elite 3 point shooter. Kawhi and PG are amazing defenders as is KD. 

Harden is a FT master. Gets to the line at will and he also shoots 4x the amount of 3s than Tatum and maintains a similar percentage. 

The reason that I don’t think Tatum can maintain a 40% 3PT is because I don’t think he will maintain that percentage with an increase in amount of 3s.

Idc that he is 20. You keep repeating that but all those other guys aren’t much older that I listed and I’d easily take them over Tatum. 

Tatum will probably be a solid #2 player in his career but I don’t think he has enough in him to be more. He doesn’t play defense well enough. Doesn’t involve his teammates enough. Isn’t an amazing rebounder. He is a good iso scorer but he has a long way to go to be a top 10 player. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, amac said:

Can someone tell me what kind of upside Robinson has? I haven't seen him play but a lot of people seem to think he's a valuable asset

Incredible defensive upside. He already knows how to leverage his length on defense to disrupt the perimeter (led the league in blocked 3s by a landslide) to accommodate for a slight lack of lateral quickness. However, he is jump happy and fouls a lot haha. Not a great offensive game right now, but he showed some solid touch this year to go with incredible rim-running ability. Decision making will come with time.

He's older than I thought. I thought he was still 19 but actually just turned 21. But still, consider how well he played this year not only as a rookie, but as a rookie who took a year off of basketball.

I think he has serious potential to be better than Gobert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MightyMouse07 said:

I made an edit for a reason. I should have included the need for if you aren’t an elite 3 point shooter. Kawhi and PG are amazing defenders as is KD. 

Harden is a FT master. Gets to the line at will and he also shoots 4x the amount of 3s than Tatum and maintains a similar percentage. 

The reason that I don’t think Tatum can maintain a 40% 3PT is because I don’t think he will maintain that percentage with an increase in amount of 3s.

Idc that he is 20. You keep repeating that but all those other guys aren’t much older that I listed and I’d easily take them over Tatum. 

Tatum will probably be a solid #2 player in his career but I don’t think he has enough in him to be more. He doesn’t play defense well enough. Doesn’t involve his teammates enough. Isn’t an amazing rebounder. He is a good iso scorer but he has a long way to go to be a top 10 player. 

He has a better DWS than KD, Harden or Kawhi had as second year players. His DBPM was better than KD or Harden. TRB% higher than KD, Harden and Lebron. TOV% lower than KD, Harden and Lebron. 

All his advanced stats are very close to those 4 players as second year players. It’s just funny watching people say a 20 year old 2nd year player doesn’t have enough upside when he’s putting up similar advanced statistics to some of the best players in the league. 

13 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Tatum is not going to be a top 10 players. Sorry.

WOW. a 20 year old who already has garnered much experience and displayed some nice flashes in the BIGGEST moments (playoffs) and you declare he won't!!!

shame on the rest of you as well. 5 years from now he will only be 25 and who knows how much he may have improved by then. SMDH. 

Too early to say he will or won't, but to say definitely NOT is just plain hating... 

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

WOW. a 20 year old who already has garnered much experience and displayed some nice flashes in the BIGGEST moments (playoffs) and you declare he won't!!!

shame on the rest of you as well. 5 years from now he will only be 25 and who knows how much he may have improved by then. SMDH. 

Too early to say he will or won't, but to say definitely NOT is just plain hating... 

Or he has peaked... all the **** you’re saying now could have been said about a bunch of guys. Tyreke Evans played amazing as a rookie and fell flat after. 

To be a Top 10 player you have to be great. Like really great. Celtics fans tend to overrate their own players so much. Almost as bad as Lakers fans. 

Like I said above, I’m not saying Tatum is a bad player, I’m stating he isn’t a great player. He would have to make huge jumps to get there. I think he can be a great #2 and probably a top 25 player for a lot of his career but to be a top 10 player means you’re truly one of the absolute best at your position in the NBA and I can’t ever see that happening. 

I think to be top 10 Tatum would have to become a better creator for others, a top notch defender, or get good at drawing fouls and become a Melo level scorer. Way too early to say if any of that will happen, but if none of those happen he's probably just be a nice complimentary hybrid forward shooter. I'd say he has a pretty high floor anyways

Edited by amac

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's not going to happen.  And I don't think the Lakers would do Lonzo for 6 either.

I never thought he meant the Lakers wanting #6 directly.  It would be a 3-way for a vet like Beal plus other stuff.  I would take Ball only because the last thing we need is another 19 year old.

3 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Or he has peaked... all the **** you’re saying now could have been said about a bunch of guys. Tyreke Evans played amazing as a rookie and fell flat after. 

To be a Top 10 player you have to be great. Like really great. Celtics fans tend to overrate their own players so much. Almost as bad as Lakers fans. 

Like I said above, I’m not saying Tatum is a bad player, I’m stating he isn’t a great player. He would have to make huge jumps to get there. I think he can be a great #2 and probably a top 25 player for a lot of his career but to be a top 10 player means you’re truly one of the absolute best at your position in the NBA and I can’t ever see that happening. 

Wow again you just said 20 year old Jayson Tatum Peeked. If you can't see the difference between being the main option versus the fourth or fifth option on a Boston Celtics and instead claim that he regressed is basically saying that it is pointless for me to argue this so-called debate

Edited by resilient part 2

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Opinions can be debated. Facts can't. Nice try tho. 

Okay it's in most professional people's opinion that I've heard and this is throughout the last year-and-a-half that Jayson Tatum could be a top-10 player so does that make this fact yes it does there for no debate

14 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Okay it's in most professional people's opinion that I've heard and this is throughout the last year-and-a-half that Jayson Tatum could be a top-10 player so does that make this fact yes it does there for no debate

Lol no it doesn't. You need to look up the definition of a fact. But carry on with whatever works for ya. I'll guarantee that Jayson Tatum will never be a top 10 player. He doesnt facilitate at all for anyone but himself, he isn't an elite athlete nor does he have elite traits. His ceiling is top 30, max. 

He's a #2 option, at best, flat out. He's more along the lines of a Khris Middleton. Borderline all-star, solid #2 on a good team. Nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2