Sheldon Richardson traded to Seahawks

Forge

56 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

BTW, Benjamin Allbright tweeted about 15-20 minutes prior to the Schefter tweet saying the two teams are working on a deal to send Richardson to NYJ. I know some people are skeptical about him but he seems to have pretty good scoops.

He used to post on here as Reality_Check

So much for league parity.  The Browns, Bills and jets trading off players to top Super Bowl contenders.  Rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, and the middle class drifting back closer and closer to the poor end of things.

Browns send Erving to the Chiefs.  Jets send Richardson to the Seahawks.  The 49ers send McDonald to the Steelers.  The Bills send Ragland to the Chiefs.

In free agency, Brooks leaves SF to join Green Bay and  the Browns let go of Haden, who joins the Steelers.  

Tanking is real.  

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

He's not better than Anderson. 

Kearse career year was 49/685/5 in his 4th year (90 targets)

Anderson as a rookie with garbage QB (fitz/Petty) was 42/587/2 (78 targets)

I never said he was better but that can be argued. What I said he was more experienced and, if he hits the ground running and learns the playbook, he could have a career year. As a starter he should definitely pass 50 recs, barring injury.

Kearse was pretty bad last year. PFF had him ranked as one of the worst WRs considering he was like 3rd-4th worst in terms of QB passer rating when he was targeted. He always seemed to make some great catches, and then be an absolute non-factor for several games. I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to just trade Kearse for a 6th or something lol. Seahawks just threw in Kearse to shed his contract. If anything the Jets did Seattle a favor by picking him up as he was going to cost $7-8M next year and would've been cut anyway. 

Jets real target was the draft pick. 2018 draft class is loaded and there's lots of QBs so the Jets getting ammunition to either pick up another rookie in the 2nd or using that extra 2nd to move around in the 1st to get their signal caller is significant. 

It is highly amusing to me that Seattle now sports probably the best D-Line and worst O-Line in the NFL lol. The O-Line looked okay in preseason but I'm not holding my breath. Hard to judge preseason because while teams do use first stringers you're not blitzing as much, your schemes are fairly simple, corners aren't playing super physical etc. Regular season brings a different intensity and I can't help but think Seattle's line is going to struggle. 

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

I never said he was better but that can be argued. What I said he was more experienced and, if he hits the ground running and learns the playbook, he could have a career year. As a starter he should definitely pass 50 recs, barring injury.

Fair enough I think he was a starter in his best season so with the horrible QB play I doubt it's anything significantly better.

I was more so just pointing out how people want to continue the narrative that the Jets have no NFL caliber players when Kearse is viewed as one and arguably not even as good as our 2nd year UDFA.

The Jets have been trying to trade Richardson for a long time now. They couldn't get a 2nd prior to last year's draft. The highest draft pick they were rumored to have been offered was Dallas' 2nd right before the trade deadline during the season. But that, apparently came off the table after the season. This is a solid trade for both teams. The Jets have been playing Richardson out of position and have 2 good 3-4 DEs already. As poor of a team as the Jets have, they dealt in excess at the DE position.

Richardson can now play his more natural position and light it up in Seattle's defense. I can see a 10 sack season for him, to be honest.

Solid trade for both teams.

45 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

While it doesn't sound good for McDowell, information hasn't exactly been flowing out over there. Even if he's out for the year, he'd be a welcoming piece back next year.

Also worth mentioning, though he doesn't necessarily look like he's slowing down just yet, Michael Bennett also turns 32 this year.  McDowell has the kind of athleticism that he could be a long-term successor to Bennett at the position.

Since Kearse was on the roster bubble it appears they wanted to shed his salary of 5M to offset the additional 8M by taking on Sheldon.  That was why the Jets probably got such great value.  SEA gets their guy and save a few bucks while Jets get the 2nd rounder. 

Win win for both sides.

Jets taking Kearse likely the reason they gave up 2nd and not a 3rd straight up for Sheldon.  Kind of like an NBA salary dump situation to an extent.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Since Kearse was on the roster bubble it appears they wanted to shed his salary of 5M to offset the additional 8M by taking on Sheldon.  That was why the Jets probably got such great value.  SEA gets their guy and save a few bucks while Jets get the 2nd rounder. 

Win win for both sides.

Jets taking Kearse likely the reason they gave up 2nd and not a 3rd straight up for Sheldon.  Kind of like an NBA salary dump situation to an extent.

I 100% agree. Seattle probably had to pony up a bit more to have someone actually take Kearse's stupid contract. He was rated as one of the worst WRs in the NFL last year according to PFF. One of the lowest QB ratings when he was targeted. 

46 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fair enough I think he was a starter in his best season so with the horrible QB play I doubt it's anything significantly better.

I was more so just pointing out how people want to continue the narrative that the Jets have no NFL caliber players when Kearse is viewed as one and arguably not even as good as our 2nd year UDFA.

Yeah he was a starter along with Baldwin and Richardson but they used Lockett alot too. Those targets were spread around alot. Doing a dive into the stats (which I don't care to do) would shows Kearse is by far the better player right now then Anderson but he should be. 

But I'm with you that Kearse standing out as a top 1-2 offensive weapon on an NFL team isn't inspiring. 

Archived