The Batman

Acgott

Just now, 43M said:

Theres huge plot holes throughout that entire trilogy.    I still love it though....at least the first 2.

Of course. They are highly entertaining but I think The Batman blows them out of the water as a complete film. There are practically no flaws with this movie. It legitimately could win Best Picture, it's that good.

This wasn't perfect by any stretch: 

It was too long and was downright flabby in places. 

They tried to go really dark and mature, and then pulled basically all the punches with the fighting. 

Catwoman didn't need to be here and was just distracting at times. 

Spoiler

Riddler just gave up. Why?

It got really preachy. 

+++

All that said, it was a pretty enjoyable movie and certainly better than anything Batfleck did. 

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Of course. They are highly entertaining but I think The Batman blows them out of the water as a complete film. There are practically no flaws with this movie. It legitimately could win Best Picture, it's that good.

This movie was long as **** man. Didn't need to be that long.

The only reason this might win best picture is that the academy is going to love the politics of:

Spoiler

Incel army tries to shoot perfect black woman politician, which then inspires white billionaire to give his money away.

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This movie was long as **** man. Didn't need to be that long.

The only reason this might win best picture is that the academy is going to love the politics of:

Reveal hidden contents

Incel army tries to shoot perfect black woman politician, which then inspires white billionaire to give his money away.

Nonsense

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Nonsense

Why was Catwoman there? The romance didn't go anywhere or add anything?

The "Who killed Thomas Wayne mystery?" didn't go anywhere.

The main antagonist got caught because . . . Why? If you're going to make a mystery movie, the characters need to solve the mystery. 

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Just got home. It was incredible. I left feeling the same way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The main antagonist got caught because . . . Why? If you're going to make a mystery movie, the characters need to solve the mystery. 

I'm sure there are explanations and I'll leave that to the people that are more nuanced in the Batman comic game. Reeves seems dedicated to the comics and stories so I'm sure there are setups. This isn't a one off film.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Without Catwoman

Spoiler

No Ani lead, no Colson details spill, and no Falcone confession. She also played a big role in softening him up and leading towards from progression his vigilante to hero. If you can't see what she added, and will likely continue to add, you're not paying attention.

Who killed Thomas Wayne 

Spoiler

This doesn't matter. It was simply about Falcone trying to manipulate Bruce like he's manipulated everyone else. Who did the deed is irrelevant. It's in the past, can't be changed, and those implied are either dead or locked up.

Main Antagonist

Spoiler

Because he wanted a good, safe view of the carnage. Batman did solve the mystery but he did it too late. Sometimes the good guys don't always win clean.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Main Antagonist

Reveal hidden contents

Because he wanted a good, safe view of the carnage. Batman did solve the mystery but he did it too late. Sometimes the good guys don't always win clean.

let's not forget either that he thought Batman was gonna be on his side

• Like 4

This movie was great. At least a 9/10 from me. Probably the best Batman movie of all time behind only The Dark Knight. First time I’ve actually been entertained by a 3 hour movie from start to finish without getting bored once. None of it felt like filler. Soundtrack was amazing. 

Spoiler

I’m glad they kept the dark theme to Batman, you can tell the first few minutes the dark vibe of the movie. I always have a fear they will try to copy Marvel with comedy and feel-good instead of dark. 

Great acting throughout. Gordon was a great actor, as he always was on westworld and elsewhere. Catwoman was solid. Riddler was GREAT. Definitely the best Batman Villain performance behind only Heath Ledger’s Joker. Great acting and performance. 

Robert Pattinson as Batman was great. I was not a fan of his Bruce Wayne though. A bit of the emo personality he always plays in movies. Bruce is suppose to be charming, charismatic, confident, and witty. Bruce was Pattinson’s usual sad character he loves to play. However, that is literally my only complaint the entire movie. The rest of the movie is just really, really great. 

We were entertained from start to finish. The dark batman scenes were dramatic, intense, and super cool, especially the opening. The story was solid and Riddler’s arc was extremely well written and well executed. 

Great first movie. Not sure why critics only have it at a 82%. As always, the audience score is always the correct score. 

Another thing I loved is it was Batman right from the start. I’m soooo tired of movies wasting the first movie of a trilogy on a origin story or huge introduction, kind of wastes the first movie. We know who Batman is. We know who Spiderman is, etc. This movie was Batman from the start. Of course, very early Batman where Gordon isn’t commissioner, police don’t like Batman yet, and the people haven’t grown to love him yet. It basically starts off at a perfect point, the very very early career part of Batman. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:
7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm sure there are explanations and I'll leave that to the people that are more nuanced in the Batman comic game. Reeves seems dedicated to the comics and stories so I'm sure there are setups. This isn't a one off film.

Both 1 & 2 are like part of the main resolution of the film. So don’t know what to say more than that.

as for 3 

Spoiler

He’s a crazy person who concocted this crusade to rid Gotham of its worst. He already pushed the domino and is getting off on the next one falling while he’s behind bars. Ed’s defining trait is narcissism in most iterations, such blind faith in his intellect. In this he’s like euphoric  on his plan working  and no one seeing it coming. But in a lot of iterations he’s very lonely and yearns for an equal or someone to get him. He thought Batman would be that, that rejection sent him spiraling until he met his new friend.

Simply he got caught because he wanted to. He wanted to smile and be accepted by Batman and tell him his plan and have Bats agree with him.

• Like 2