2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

I don’t see Okudah sliding past CAR and I don’t see Simmons sliding past JAX

I think Carolina takes Derrick Brown. Brown is being slept on in this draft, and a rookie HC? DL is a very safe pick. I think Okudah falls to the Cardinals and they shock everyone and take Okudah. Cards FO are on record saying Murphy is moving to Nickel this year. So Peterson-Okudah-Murphy, yikes. 

I went to a Cards forum (taking my last mock seriously lol, and nobody knows a team better than their own fans) since @DirtyDez is literally the only Card fan on this forum. None of them really want a OT, that’s just the media not really researching the team. They have Marcus Cannon who is a good RT and Murphy is a decent backup. 

They could still draft an OT but if Okudah or Simmons are on the board, they will probably be the pick imo. 

On the “Moving the Sticks” podcast #530 with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks at around the 35-37 min part they started talking about the Panthers with McCaffrey and Saints with Kamara and they’re possible extensions. What they said was due to their workloads (rushes and catches) itd be important for them to move some rushing responsibilities to a bigger back if they extend them.  Their so valuable as receivers that their worth a reasonable extension but they wouldn’t last long into the new contract if they have the same high usage rate.

I think the same ideas applies to the Raiders and Jacobs.  He’s too valuable to run into the ground (IR).  Richards a very good pass catcher but I think we need to get Jacobs more catches... so we open up the offense.  I think Richard can pick up some rushes if needed (he’s declined from 83 as a rookie to 56/55 in years 2/3 and last year 39).  I’d like to see Richard get back up to around 60 or so rushes and draft a RB in round 3.  Keeping Jacobs fresh And healthy is so important to us.  He’s a beast and played thru insane pain last year but if your getting numbing shots in your shoulder to play each week your not gonna perform nearly your best.  

I’d make the argument that spending a 3rd on a RB (depending whose there) give more value to the team then many other positions. 

We had roughly 400 RB/FB rushes last year (removing QB runs and screens to WR/TE).  Jacobs had 242 rushes (plus 20 catches).... if he played 16 games that would have been 298 rushes.  Only Henry(303:15g), Zeke(301:16g), Chubb (298:16g) ran more per game (Chris Carson had More total rushes but just slightly less Rushes/game (278:15g).

We can’t keep Jacobs at a 18.6 rushes:game level.  It’s not sustainable long term, and it certainly doesn’t maximize his skills.  I think the sweet spot for him is 15-16 rushes a game but increases his use in the passing game.

If we could get a guy like Cam Akers, who is totally interchangeable with Jacobs it would allow for more seamless substitutions.  If you draft a big banger like AJ Dillon it tips and limits your play calling.  Ideally we could get a guy like Akers 6-12 (not an average of 12 per game just some instances where he gets 12) rushes a game to keep Jacobs fresh and without a huge drop off in production.  Also, while not a speedster (4.47 40yd) he’s still rather fast for a RB with decent size and that speed brings a dynamic to the rushing attack Jacobs lacks.

How do you guys feel about drafting Akers in the 3rd or guys like D.Evans, A.Gibson, Z.Moss in round 4.  Or do you not put such a premium on RB2 and just get one of the other guys in round 5.

We definitely need a RB to spell Jacob. 4th Round is what I was aiming for. AJ Dillion or Gibson should be available. Dillion is my preferred target. 

In my final mock I have Taylor, Swift, Dobbins all going Early 2nd, Edwards Mid 2nd, Akers Late 2nd, Moss in the 3rd, and Eno Benjamin the first few picks of the 4th Round. 

• Like 1

With the Apple deal falling through, I think there's a pretty good chance the Raiders go with Henderson over a receiver at 12, take the best receiver available at 19 (if they don't trade back), and maybe double-dip at receiver again in the 3rd. I'd call it about a 60/40 chance Raiders go with a receiver or Henderson at 12 if he's there.

Edited by Rich7sena

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

With the Apple deal falling through, I think there's a pretty good chance the Raiders go with Henderson over a receiver at 12, take the best receiver available at 19 (if they don't trade back), and maybe double-dip at receiver again in the 3rd. I'd call it about a 60/40 chance Raiders go with a receiver or Henderson at 12 if he's there.

If Okudah falls to 12 (this type of stuff happens all the time) you pick him over WR and Henderson no question right? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

On the “Moving the Sticks” podcast #530 with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks at around the 35-37 min part they started talking about the Panthers with McCaffrey and Saints with Kamara and they’re possible extensions. What they said was due to their workloads (rushes and catches) itd be important for them to move some rushing responsibilities to a bigger back if they extend them.  Their so valuable as receivers that their worth a reasonable extension but they wouldn’t last long into the new contract if they have the same high usage rate.

I think the same ideas applies to the Raiders and Jacobs.  He’s too valuable to run into the ground (IR).  Richards a very good pass catcher but I think we need to get Jacobs more catches... so we open up the offense.  I think Richard can pick up some rushes if needed (he’s declined from 83 as a rookie to 56/55 in years 2/3 and last year 39).  I’d like to see Richard get back up to around 60 or so rushes and draft a RB in round 3.  Keeping Jacobs fresh And healthy is so important to us.  He’s a beast and played thru insane pain last year but if your getting numbing shots in your shoulder to play each week your not gonna perform nearly your best.  

I’d make the argument that spending a 3rd on a RB (depending whose there) give more value to the team then many other positions. 

We had roughly 400 RB/FB rushes last year (removing QB runs and screens to WR/TE).  Jacobs had 242 rushes (plus 20 catches).... if he played 16 games that would have been 298 rushes.  Only Henry(303:15g), Zeke(301:16g), Chubb (298:16g) ran more per game (Chris Carson had More total rushes but just slightly less Rushes/game (278:15g).

We can’t keep Jacobs at a 18.6 rushes:game level.  It’s not sustainable long term, and it certainly doesn’t maximize his skills.  I think the sweet spot for him is 15-16 rushes a game but increases his use in the passing game.

If we could get a guy like Cam Akers, who is totally interchangeable with Jacobs it would allow for more seamless substitutions.  If you draft a big banger like AJ Dillon it tips and limits your play calling.  Ideally we could get a guy like Akers 6-12 (not an average of 12 per game just some instances where he gets 12) rushes a game to keep Jacobs fresh and without a huge drop off in production.  Also, while not a speedster (4.47 40yd) he’s still rather fast for a RB with decent size and that speed brings a dynamic to the rushing attack Jacobs lacks.

How do you guys feel about drafting Akers in the 3rd or guys like D.Evans, A.Gibson, Z.Moss in round 4.  Or do you not put such a premium on RB2 and just get one of the other guys in round 5.

If Moss drops to the 4th, he's a great pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If Moss drops to the 4th, he's a great pick.

Agreed, love Moss. 

Not a Utah fan in any way but damn, I’m a huge fan of a lot of their draft prospects this year: Jaylon Johnson, Terrell Burgess, Zack Moss. Three of my favorites in the whole draft. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Agreed, love Moss. 

Not a Utah fan in any way but damn, I’m a huge fan of a lot of their draft prospects this year: Jaylon Johnson, Terrell Burgess, Zack Moss. Three of my favorites in the whole draft. 

I'm starting to lean toward Terrell. I didn't like Johnson's game against USC. I think Terrell has a higher upside. He just needs to get a bit stronger.

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Carolina takes Derrick Brown. Brown is being slept on in this draft, and a rookie HC? DL is a very safe pick. I think Okudah falls to the Cardinals and they shock everyone and take Okudah. Cards FO are on record saying Murphy is moving to Nickel this year. So Peterson-Okudah-Murphy, yikes. 

I went to a Cards forum (taking my last mock seriously lol, and nobody knows a team better than their own fans) since @DirtyDez is literally the only Card fan on this forum. None of them really want a OT, that’s just the media not really researching the team. They have Marcus Cannon who is a good RT and Murphy is a decent backup. 

They could still draft an OT but if Okudah or Simmons are on the board, they will probably be the pick imo. 

I know they just signed Teddy but do not get surprised by them taking a QB.  Teddy's contract is really a 2 year deal with a team option for year 3.  I wold also target Carolina as a trade partner to get their 1st round pick.  

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm starting to lean toward Terrell. I didn't like Johnson's game against USC. I think Terrell has a higher upside. He just needs to get a bit stronger.

Terrell is better for speedy WRs but we do play a lot of Cover 3. We play like 45% Cover 3, 30% Cover 1, and then a mix of Cover 2, Quarters, and other coverages. Why I like Johnson a lot. Utah played a ton of Cover 3. 

I really like both, to be honest. I’d say Johnson and Terrell are my 2nd and 3rd favorite corners in the draft, which may not be a popular opinion. I think Henderson is solid but not for the Raiders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Terrell is better for speedy WRs but we do play a lot of Cover 3. We play like 45% Cover 3, 30% Cover 1, and then a mix of Cover 2, Quarters, and other coverages. Why I like Johnson a lot. Utah played a ton of Cover 3. 

I really like both, to be honest. I’d say Johnson and Terrell are my 2nd and 3rd favorite corners in the draft, which may not be a popular opinion. I think Henderson is solid but not for the Raiders. 

I think they like corners that have good long speed. Even though I think Johnson is better rn, Terrell physically can matchup with any WR in the NFL, just like Mullen. Johnson can't run with the superspeed guys, but Mullen and Terrell can. If we're building a team to beat KC, that should factor in.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I know they just signed Teddy but do not get surprised by them taking a QB.  Teddy's contract is really a 2 year deal with a team option for year 3.  I wold also target Carolina as a trade partner to get their 1st round pick.  

I had Love going to Carolina in one of my mocks, but I don’t see it happening anymore. Joe Brady is a genius and will want to show what he can do with any QB. If Teddy stinks it up, they can do everything they can do bring in Hometown Hero Trevor Lawrence in 2021. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think they like corners that have good long speed. Even though I think Johnson is better rn, Terrell physically can matchup with any WR in the NFL, just like Mullen. Johnson can't run with the superspeed guys, but Mullen and Terrell can.

Agreed, but we run Cover 3 Press more than anything. Look at the 49ers, Chargers, and Raiders, the three teams who play Cover 3 Press the most. All three teams were the most successful against Patrick Mahomes in 2019 minus the Raiders 2nd Qtr/Curtis Riley. You don’t need a fast corner for Cover 3. 

I’m fine with either guy though. Just not Fulton. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Agreed, but we run Cover 3 Press more than anything. Look at the 49ers, Chargers, and Raiders, the three teams who play Cover 3 Press the most. All three teams were the most successful against Patrick Mahomes in 2019 minus the Raiders 2nd Qtr/Curtis Riley. You don’t need a fast corner for Cover 3. 

I’m fine with either guy though. Just not Fulton. 

Fulton is interesting. I like him more than most but it's complicated.

• Like 1