2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I had Love going to Carolina in one of my mocks, but I don’t see it happening anymore. Joe Brady is a genius and will want to show what he can do with any QB. If Teddy stinks it up, they can do everything they can do bring in Hometown Hero Trevor Lawrence in 2021. 

That is a possibility but the way Teddy's contract is it makes me think they will take a QB for the right value.

• Like 1

Anyone remember how Ferrell did inside last year? I don’t remember anything too good. However, he does have the body and length Rod likes for a 3T. 

Bringing it up because Ferrell working out with Buckner and Armstead is interesting, not that it means anything at all of course. 

If we had plans to move Ferrell permanently inside, EDGE at 19 is almost a certainty between: Chaisson or Gross-Matos, two guys highly capable of playing 4-3 EDGE. 

This would kill us at corner, but corner is a historically bad choice in the 1st Round anyways. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Anyone remember how Ferrell did inside last year? I don’t remember anything too good. However, he does have the body and length Rod likes for a 3T. 

Bringing it up because Ferrell working out with Buckner and Armstead is interesting, not that it means anything at all of course. 

If we had plans to move Ferrell permanently inside, EDGE at 19 is almost a certainty between: Chaisson or Gross-Matos, two guys highly capable of playing 4-3 EDGE. 

This would kill us at corner, but corner is a historically bad choice in the 1st Round anyways. 

He didn't do well inside. He's not ready to play in there. He definitely is going to get bigger and stronger. That's why he's spending time with Buckner and Armstead. I think he'll be a power/hands rusher outside like Flowers. Eventually he could become a good rusher inside, but he's definitely gonna rush outside with Nassib to spell him and Crosby.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

On the “Moving the Sticks” podcast #530 with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks at around the 35-37 min part they started talking about the Panthers with McCaffrey and Saints with Kamara and they’re possible extensions. What they said was due to their workloads (rushes and catches) itd be important for them to move some rushing responsibilities to a bigger back if they extend them.  Their so valuable as receivers that their worth a reasonable extension but they wouldn’t last long into the new contract if they have the same high usage rate.

I think the same ideas applies to the Raiders and Jacobs.  He’s too valuable to run into the ground (IR).  Richards a very good pass catcher but I think we need to get Jacobs more catches... so we open up the offense.  I think Richard can pick up some rushes if needed (he’s declined from 83 as a rookie to 56/55 in years 2/3 and last year 39).  I’d like to see Richard get back up to around 60 or so rushes and draft a RB in round 3.  Keeping Jacobs fresh And healthy is so important to us.  He’s a beast and played thru insane pain last year but if your getting numbing shots in your shoulder to play each week your not gonna perform nearly your best.  

I’d make the argument that spending a 3rd on a RB (depending whose there) give more value to the team then many other positions. 

We had roughly 400 RB/FB rushes last year (removing QB runs and screens to WR/TE).  Jacobs had 242 rushes (plus 20 catches).... if he played 16 games that would have been 298 rushes.  Only Henry(303:15g), Zeke(301:16g), Chubb (298:16g) ran more per game (Chris Carson had More total rushes but just slightly less Rushes/game (278:15g).

We can’t keep Jacobs at a 18.6 rushes:game level.  It’s not sustainable long term, and it certainly doesn’t maximize his skills.  I think the sweet spot for him is 15-16 rushes a game but increases his use in the passing game.

If we could get a guy like Cam Akers, who is totally interchangeable with Jacobs it would allow for more seamless substitutions.  If you draft a big banger like AJ Dillon it tips and limits your play calling.  Ideally we could get a guy like Akers 6-12 (not an average of 12 per game just some instances where he gets 12) rushes a game to keep Jacobs fresh and without a huge drop off in production.  Also, while not a speedster (4.47 40yd) he’s still rather fast for a RB with decent size and that speed brings a dynamic to the rushing attack Jacobs lacks.

How do you guys feel about drafting Akers in the 3rd or guys like D.Evans, A.Gibson, Z.Moss in round 4.  Or do you not put such a premium on RB2 and just get one of the other guys in round 5.

I believe RB is our biggest need behind WR and CB. Wanted Hyde in FA, but I’d definitely take one in the 3rd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I hope we trade up for an impact player. Depth is nice but we need some game changers on defense to help us become serious contenders.

Leaning on this line of thinking, I’m usually again moving up. But Mayock has done a great job adding depth to this roster and now it’s more about adding impact.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He didn't do well inside. He's not ready to play in there. He definitely is going to get bigger and stronger. That's why he's spending time with Buckner and Armstead. I think he'll be a power/hands rusher outside like Flowers. Eventually he could become a good rusher inside, but he's definitely gonna rush outside with Nassib to spell him and Crosby.

Mayock spoke on moving Ferrell around and how it stunted his growth a bit, and after they kept him at DE in the 2nd half of the season is when he came along. I believe he’ll stay on the edge this year.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Carolina takes Derrick Brown. Brown is being slept on in this draft, and a rookie HC? DL is a very safe pick. I think Okudah falls to the Cardinals and they shock everyone and take Okudah. Cards FO are on record saying Murphy is moving to Nickel this year. So Peterson-Okudah-Murphy, yikes. 

I went to a Cards forum (taking my last mock seriously lol, and nobody knows a team better than their own fans) since @DirtyDez is literally the only Card fan on this forum. None of them really want a OT, that’s just the media not really researching the team. They have Marcus Cannon who is a good RT and Murphy is a decent backup. 

They could still draft an OT but if Okudah or Simmons are on the board, they will probably be the pick imo. 

They have Marcus Gilbert, not Cannon.  Cannon is in Pats still.  They traded a late round pick for Gilbert last year and he got hurt and never played.  Pitt traded him cuZ he’s always hurt and sucked for a few years.  
And they don’t have a guy named Murphy.  They have Murray. Justin Murray, the guy who sucked pretty bad with us and we cut.  

Your research’s inaccuracies arise... the reality is they need a RT horribly bad.  If you go into the season with Marcus Gilbert as your RT in a high passing offense your QB could actually die.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

They have Marcus Gilbert, not Cannon.  Cannon is in Pats still.  They traded a late round pick for Gilbert last year and he got hurt and never played.  Pitt traded him cuZ he’s always hurt and sucked for a few years.  
And they don’t have a guy named Murphy.  They have Murray. Justin Murray, the guy who sucked pretty bad with us and we cut.  

Your research’s inaccuracies arise... the reality is they need a RT horribly bad.  If you go into the season with Marcus Gilbert as your RT in a high passing offense your QB could actually die.

Sorry I messed up the last names. 

Talk to Cardinal fans. Not many of them want a OT. In Kingsbury’s system, RT is not that important. And if Gilbert can stay healthy, he’s a decent RT. 

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Where not moving Ferrell to DT.  No disrespect your bored like everyone else and way over thinking things.  Ferrell to 3T is crazy talk.  He might rush a few times in NASCAR packages but no way permanently.    

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

With the Apple deal falling through, I think there's a pretty good chance the Raiders go with Henderson over a receiver at 12, take the best receiver available at 19 (if they don't trade back), and maybe double-dip at receiver again in the 3rd. I'd call it about a 60/40 chance Raiders go with a receiver or Henderson at 12 if he's there.

I have a feeling it’s Henderson at 12 and Jefferson at 19. Love Henderson’s coverage ability, but hate his effort taking down ball carriers, but I could live with the pick. Like many have noted, Deion wasn’t much of a tackler but he shut down half the field. And Jefferson at 19 might be the best value out of the WRs in the 1st. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I think Carolina takes Derrick Brown. Brown is being slept on in this draft, and a rookie HC? DL is a very safe pick. I think Okudah falls to the Cardinals and they shock everyone and take Okudah. Cards FO are on record saying Murphy is moving to Nickel this year. So Peterson-Okudah-Murphy, yikes. 

I went to a Cards forum (taking my last mock seriously lol, and nobody knows a team better than their own fans) since @DirtyDez is literally the only Card fan on this forum. None of them really want a OT, that’s just the media not really researching the team. They have Marcus Cannon who is a good RT and Murphy is a decent backup. 

They could still draft an OT but if Okudah or Simmons are on the board, they will probably be the pick imo. 

Edit: Already saw the names corrected...  Neither are long term tackles but quality-enough stop gaps to draft BPA.  If Brown and Okudah are gone I would think they go tackle but Keim is feeling himself so I wouldn’t rule out a WR.

If one of Brown/Okudah is available I believe they’d be the pick.  I don’t see a scenario where both are gone because it means only two QB’s go before us.

Edited by DirtyDez
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Sorry I messed up the last names. 

Talk to Cardinal fans. Not many of them want a OT. In Kingsbury’s system, RT is not that important. And if Gilbert can stay healthy, he’s a decent RT. 

12 games in 3 years for Gilbert: 7,5,0

30 years old and played very poorly in Pitt the last few years.  Fans don’t always know what’s best for their team.  They can’t be too smart if their Arizona fans anyways lol.  If you wanna do a mock that tries to make everyone happy go for it.... but that never works out because people want crazy things that don’t happen.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GilbMa00.htm

They might not got RT in round 1, but they do desperately need one.

Just now, DirtyDez said:

I think you mean Marcus Gilbert and Justin Murray.  Neither are long term tackles but quality-enough stop gaps to draft BPA.  If Brown and Okudah are gone I would think they go tackle but Keim is feeling himself so I wouldn’t rule out a WR.

If one of Brown/Okudah is available I believe they’d be the pick.  I don’t see a scenario where both are gone because it means only two QB’s go before us.

They have Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk starting and Andy Isabella Rd1:’19, Keesean Johnson rd6:19 and someone they really like, plus Hakeem Butler rd4:’19, who ive heard they were sour on in year 1 but he got hurt.  I cant see them spending a high WR.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Edit: Already saw the names corrected...  Neither are long term tackles but quality-enough stop gaps to draft BPA.  If Brown and Okudah are gone I would think they go tackle but Keim is feeling himself so I wouldn’t rule out a WR.

Okudah/Simmons/Brown seems to be the consensus for Cardinal fans over on AZ Cardinal Forum. 

The media is obsessed with giving them Wirfs and Wills though.