2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

24 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Absolutely.  Hes spent many years talking to a high percentage of the leagues GMs on what kind of players they like and their value so he’s likely got an interesting and unique insight into how most teams will pick... that said when he’s at 35 for instance he can within a degree of certainly guess how the next few teams will draft and who .... thus he can calculate the chances of his player being picked if he trades down to “X” spot and vice versa if he’s at “z” spot he’s got a good insight into the teams drafting above him and can trade up above any team that might take his guy.

seeing one draft and 2 FAs already.... it seems to go into FA with a shopping list of positions and ranks players for each position with a price he’s comfortable paying.  If player 1 takes it great... done deal.. if not on to speaking to #2.  Then when the draft comes he has his big board and his “target board” and maneuvers the board via trades to get the key players he’s after.  If he can’t get his targeted player he’s got a backup based on value. 

My favorite thing about him is that he has an AFC West depth chart in his office and he's thinking "how can I beat these teams"?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Reggie did a good job of setting fire to the mess of a roster and cap situation we had and then balancing out the Salary cap.

he was decent at getting some value FA additions but the roster was so depleted of talent it was easy for some of those veterans to look good.  He also proven time and time again he was horrible at drafting.... all the way down to his inability to manage a scouting department. 
I’m glad Mayock came into the organization and fired everyone that needed to be and bring in his own guys and establish his culture.  I think just not being a good manager of people was one of Reggie’s downfalls.  He seems like a Football Guy more so than a CEO of a organization.

I think Reg was definitely more of a football guy. Probably why he was so recommended by Madden and others to Mark. I will always respect that he got the team out of cap hell and draft irrelevance (in the way of having picks at all). He brought some stability to the franchise in a time when it was much needed. I love what Mayock is doing and think he's got the personnel moves in a good path. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I think Reg was definitely more of a football guy. Probably why he was so recommended by Madden and others to Mark. I will always respect that he got the team out of cap hell and draft irrelevance (in the way of having picks at all). He brought some stability to the franchise in a time when it was much needed. I love what Mayock is doing and think he's got the personnel moves in a good path. 

Yeah, Reggie was the strong football guy we needed at the time... but we got stable again and weren’t ever going to get better as an organization unless we got a CEO type GM to rebuild the back end (ie the scouts and personnel guys) and build a corporate culture of winning. 
I still like Reggie.  I wanted to bring in Mayock along with him at the time he was in limbo.... but looking back on it those dream teams don’t ever work out... you can only have one leader

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, Reggie was the strong football guy we needed at the time... but we got stable again and weren’t ever going to get better as an organization unless we got a CEO type GM to rebuild the back end (ie the scouts and personnel guys) and build a corporate culture of winning. 
I still like Reggie.  I wanted to bring in Mayock along with him at the time he was in limbo.... but looking back on it those dream teams don’t ever work out... you can only have one leader

Oh I agree. I think the Mayock move was a good one. Can't have too many cooks in the kitchen. He is a better talent evaluator than Reggie no doubt. I don't think any of us can say we aren't excited for the draft. Mayock will no doubt keep it interesting. 

Edited by FloydFan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Oh I agree. I think the Mayock move was a good one. Can't have too many cooks in the kitchen. He is a better talent evaluator than Reggie no doubt. I don't think any of us can say we aren't excited for the draft. Mayock will no doubt keep it interesting. 

Yeah it’s nice to be almost cocky going into the draft not worried we’ll have a Jihad Ward types drafted in the 2nd round or get abused in every trade.   
I was done with him when he gave couldn’t get 2 1sts for Mack straight up. The ‘21 swap of 2nd for 3rd was bad enough, but he couldn’t get the deal done without a throwing in a conditional 5th? Ugh even old Al would get the better of most deals.... Reggie would get out negotiated every Time.  

we should have sent Mack to Sf or the Jets who were offering similar packages and ended up finishing way worse last year.  Could have had #2 (bosa) in ‘19 and #31 In ‘20 With SF or #3 (q.williams) and #11 this year if with jets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/one-team-apparently-topped-the-bears-offer-for-khalil-mack-but-the-raiders-turned-it-down/amp/

SF offered a better package!

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

He's a beast, people worried about his 40 time, I'm not he plays faster to me and clutch.

You should be. He showed no explosiveness in his workouts. He's really tight, nothing he does is smooth. He's going to struggle to make it in the NFL. He has a better chance of going undrafted than going in round 3 in my opinion with how deep this class is. 

One name a lot are high on at 19, Grant Delpit is crazy to me. He is just coasting off previous hype from being viewed as a top pick. He didn't play that way and isn't the top S in this class to me.

Luckily, I don't think he fits the Raiders. He's not physical and doesn't tackle well and that doesn't seem like the grinders Gruden/Mayock are looking for.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

we should have sent Mack to Sf or the Jets who were offering similar packages and ended up finishing way worse last year.  Could have had #2 (bosa) in ‘19 and #31 In ‘20 With SF or #3 (q.williams) and #11 this year if with jets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/one-team-apparently-topped-the-bears-offer-for-khalil-mack-but-the-raiders-turned-it-down/amp/

SF offered a better package!

We've been through this a number of times and with hindsight, we could possibly have gotten a better pick, however this doesn't take into account the Mack effect and also Jimmy G getting injured, the Bears were clearly seen as the option that would give s high pick but it just didn't work our. Pointless to re-hash with what ifs. What if we traded Mack to SF and Jimmy G stays healthy, they could potentially make the Superbowl and we have a worse pick etc. etc.

It is what it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You should be. He showed no explosiveness in his workouts. He's really tight, nothing he does is smooth. He's going to struggle to make it in the NFL. He has a better chance of going undrafted than going in round 3 in my opinion with how deep this class is. 

I guess we will see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We've been through this a number of times and with hindsight, we could possibly have gotten a better pick, however this doesn't take into account the Mack effect and also Jimmy G getting injured, the Bears were clearly seen as the option that would give s high pick but it just didn't work our. Pointless to re-hash with what ifs. What if we traded Mack to SF and Jimmy G stays healthy, they could potentially make the Superbowl and we have a worse pick etc. etc.

It is what it is.

Yes the jets are hindsight but their own coach straight up said they offered us a better deal.

And the Jets were a far worse team then the Bears.  They apparently offered a 1st and 2nd.... I think they would have went 2 1st had Reggie had any negotiation skills.

Edited by jimkelly02

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

One name a lot are high on at 19, Grant Delpit is crazy to me. He is just coasting off previous hype from being viewed as a top pick. He didn't play that way and isn't the top S in this class to me.

Luckily, I don't think he fits the Raiders. He's not physical and doesn't tackle well and that doesn't seem like the grinders Gruden/Mayock are looking for.

I've been saying this too.  Glad I'm not the only one lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

McKinney is the better Safety.  I think he could go before 19... Atlanta Or Dallas maybe.  I only like Delpit if it’s through a trade down such as 19 to Indy for 34+44 and we get Delpit at 34 and a CB (Terrell, Johnson, Fulton) at 44.  

• Like 1