Best players to overcome bad odds

Hunter2_1

Mike Flanagan (Center for the Packers) was their 90th overall pick in 1996. He promptly broke his leg in preseason. He was out all that year, all the following year, and first played in December 1998. He was the Packers center until the end of 2005.

In 2006 he moved to the Texans for his final two years. 

Most teams wouldn't keep an injured  guy that long.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

On 5/26/2019 at 11:52 PM, Jerry said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartoonoftheday/2018/03/18/sam-bradford-has-earned-129-million-over-his-underwhelming-career-so-far/

Anyone that can earn 129 million as a career backup and never really accomplish anything has overcome bad odds like no one else.  Guy has taken mediocrity and made a fortune with it.

I agree with everything except that Overlord Checkdown technically was never a career backup. He's an average QB who was capable of big games if everything else goes perfect.

Definitely not a fan of his though

3 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Still doesn't even get that title at WR... That'd probably go to Megatron. Or maybe even Owens.

What? Matt Stafford? Steve Young? Jeff Garcia? Donovan McNabb? Tony Romo?

You think guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, TJ Yates, Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden are better QBs than those guys?

I get it that those QBs that threw to Megatron/Owens weren't elite (save for Young) but they're better than anyone throwing to Hopkins (until Watson showed up).

19 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Frank Gore. Dude blew out both of his knees in college and played the majority of his career for bad 49ers teams. Still working his way up the all-time rushing and all-purpose lists.

He was one of the first guys I thought of. Not to mention how more "severe" an ACL tear was back when he did it. He overcame Goliath like odds and turned his career into a HOF one.

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

What? Matt Stafford? Steve Young? Jeff Garcia? Donovan McNabb? Tony Romo?

You think guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, TJ Yates, Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden are better QBs than those guys?

I get it that those QBs that threw to Megatron/Owens weren't elite (save for Young) but they're better than anyone throwing to Hopkins (until Watson showed up).

Yeah but he only had two really elite seasons with that contingent of QBs. And we've since gone on to learn that Fitzpatrick and Keenum aren't trash. The other guys are though.

19 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Yeah but he only had two really elite seasons with that contingent of QBs. 

* Rookie season (Matt Schaub): 52/802/2

* Year 2 (Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Mallet, Savage): 76/1,210/6

* This is as a #2, behind Andre Johnson

Year 3 (Hoyer, Mallet, Savage, Yates): 111/1,521/11

Year 4 (Osweiler/Savage): 78/954/4

Year 5 (Savage/Watson): 96/1,378/13

So in five years without a top flight QB, I show a rookie season, an elite year as a #2 WR, two elite seasons as a #1 WR and one Brock Osweiler-led disaster.

19 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

And we've since gone on to learn that Fitzpatrick and Keenum aren't trash.

Two points:

- Keenum is trash. He's got one good run with Minnesota, but his tenures in Houston, Los Angeles and Denver are riddled with below average performances. He's good for a highlight reel of some nice bombs, but anything else was a disaster.

- Even if I qualified them as "not trash" they would still be behind the likes of Garcia, Stafford, Romo and even McNabb.

Going to homer it up in here:

Thomas Davis returned from tearing the same ACL three times to become an elite LB. Not really what you're asking but I'm gonna mention it anyway since he is, as far as I know, the only athlete to do this... though I want to say Terrell Thomas did it too but didn't have a good career after it.

2015 Cam Newton had a bunch of garbage around him outside of Olsen, a sometimes injured J-Stew, Ryan Kalil, and Trai Turner. Dude put up 45 TDs. His WRs were Philly Brown, Jerricho Cotchery, Devin Funchess, and Ted Ginn...

Charles Johnson in 2010 was an absolute monster with zero help from the DLine. Derek Landri and Nick Hayden sucked. Taylor Brayton, the other DE, had zero sacks if I'm not mistaken.

Steve Smith was considered a returner only after being a third round pick in 2011. Team had no interest in developing him as a receiver. Only 5'9 in a league dominated by Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Goes on to become a borderline HOFer.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, Gore Whore 21 said:

Frank Gore. Dude blew out both of his knees in college and played the majority of his career for bad 49ers teams. Still working his way up the all-time rushing and all-purpose lists.

His second season was absolutely amazing when you consider how bad that team was. He ran for 5.4 yards a carry on a team with a second year Alex Smith throwing for 58% to receivers such as Arnaz Battle and Antonio Bryant who topped out at 700 yards. Everyone knew that Gore was getting the ball, and he still couldn't be stopped. 

• Like 1