NFL Could Push For 18-Game Season In Labor Talks

DigInBoys

Just now, Daniel said:

The NFL regularly blows my mind with how poorly it's run while still making money hand over fist.  Didn't they learn their lesson last season that oversaturation reduces ratings?

It’s absolutely mind blowing, I agree.  They adapt to change like octogenarians to the internet and can’t lose a dollar if they tried.  It’s nuts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

They'd probably do a 10 AM start in Beijing.

That’s still late as hell for folks on the east coast.  I’m not trying to stay up till 1-1:30 on a work night ffs.  I think east coast teams playing night games on the east coast is too late too fwiw.  

At the risk of sounding like a nationalistic arse, it’s the NFL, not IFL.

Play the games here.

• Like 2

I dislike expanding past 16 games mostly because of the symmetry and balance of the current system; you know who and why you play each year. 

6 games in your division, 4 vs other conference division, 4 vs in-conference division, and the other 2 same-rank in-conference teams.

Who do you add games vs without unbalancing it? (honest question, I can't think of a good solution)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Also, **** an 18 games season.  Titans already can't keep their QB healthy for 16.

Few teams can.

20 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

18 games but each player can only play 16 games in the regular season. 

Rosters up to 45 on game day and 60 for the season. 

Juggling minutes, games played, etc,. would give us fans yet another aspect of the game to obsess over, but in reality it's a very impractical thing. I mean...just think about it. 

The roster absolutely has to be expanded, though. Regardless of games played. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

This would likely end my time as an NFL fan.    It's already a declining product....this would officially be "jumping the shark" IMO.

What? Why? It literally only affects the players. I don't think it needs to be done by any means, but it's not like it will negatively affect anything for us regular fans.

• Like 2

i know it would net the NFL less money than adding a 17th and potentially 18th regular season game but simply expanding playoffs would be good imo. 8 teams per conference, no teams get a bye, the schedule stays the same, etc.

the NFL only gets four more games of revenue but it's pretty much the least intrusive way of adding games. teams can prepare the way they're used to, the top seeded teams still get an advantage (home field advantage plus facing a team that's like 8-8) and it adds more excitement (chances of upsets). i think this would be a good first step to adding more games, especially because i think the teams are already seeded well enough for the playoffs with 16 games. 

honestly, i think the only thing that might make the players open to adding more regular season games is that increased revenue = higher salary cap = higher salary for each player. adding two regular season games should equal out to about a 12.5% increase in revenue.  if that was the case, even the bottom-feeders that make $500,000 a year would be getting an extra $60k.

Edited by whitehops

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

18 games but each player can only play 16 games in the regular season. 

Rosters up to 45 on game day and 60 for the season. 

Nice creative thinking, only being allowed to play 16 games would add a lot of strategy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Nice creative thinking, only being allowed to play 16 games would add a lot of strategy.

That would be a horrendous idea. Add more confusion for NFL fans for wondering why they're fantasy player is healthy but is sitting out thr game due to NFL rule of only being allowed to play 16 games. Loll that's a disaster the NFL doesn't want any part of. 

• Like 1