Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

Hmmmm......according to that breakdown, Lamb and Jefferson are the only WRs with no 0s on any of the route tendency percentages. Very nice.

Also, Aiyuk's got 30% in screens?  That's got to impact perceptions of him.

As for Aiyuk, it doesn't impact perceptions imo.  1.  It reaffirms his ability to create after the catch.  2.  It's difficult to ding a guy for running the route called in a system.  3.  Aiyuk also has no zeroes(but he does have a .68%), so you can at least see him run all these routes.  And I think he tends to run those routes well(which is more important to how often a route is called).

Aiyuk's two biggest areas of improvement for the NFL are hand fighting to get off press coverage and development on intermediate routes.  We know he can catch short and take it the distance and that he can track deep balls.  Also, over 15% are crossers or slants, so you know he can work underneath to the inside where he can do what he does best.

I think this just reinforces what the tape shows on Aiyuk.  Dude was easily the most explosive playmaker for his team and they schemed ways to get him the ball quick.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hmmmm......according to that breakdown, Lamb and Jefferson are the only WRs with no 0s on any of the route tendency percentages. Very nice.

Also, Aiyuk's got 30% in screens?  That's got to impact perceptions of him.

Ruggs and Jeudy both have zero percent for comeback screens I wonder if Bama runs them at all? 

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Ruggs and Jeudy both have zero percent for comeback screens I wonder if Bama runs them at all? 

Maybe not. It doesn't seem like they're used as often in college as the NFL. My guess is because it takes more skill to run that sort of route and for QBs to throw it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Awww crap lol because the post I quoted said screens Freudian slip. 

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Looking at what had zero percent for them both on the chart you can clearly see what I meant. 

I do get what you meant now.  Just wanted to clarify.  That said, I like being able to see a WR run a comeback now and then to see their snap at the top of the route.  I highly doubt Jeudy or Ruggs will have any issues with that at all.  But you do wonder why a trio of Jeudy, Ruggs, and Tua would never even attempt that route.  I'd almost think it has to be because it's not in the playbook as you said.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I do get what you meant now.  Just wanted to clarify.  That said, I like being able to see a WR run a comeback now and then to see their snap at the top of the route.  I highly doubt Jeudy or Ruggs will have any issues with that at all.  But you do wonder why a trio of Jeudy, Ruggs, and Tua would never even attempt that route.  I'd almost think it has to be because it's not in the playbook as you said.

I wonder what Smith and Waddles percentages look like also. I’m sure those percentages aren’t available like this though.

6 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

That's why it's so impressive to watch Nick Saban standing alongside the defensive backs and emphatically making sure the backpedal technique is correct, etc. 

Didn’t Kirkpatrick come out and say Saban doesn’t have them backpedal? I remember that being a criticism of Milliner and Kareem Jackson too.

22 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Didn’t Kirkpatrick come out and say Saban doesn’t have them backpedal? I remember that being a criticism of Milliner and Kareem Jackson too.

Yes. My recollection is that Bama CBs used to exclusively use bail technique. Don't know if they still do. I'd have to watch to assess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

What does Lamb do better than Jefferson?

Someone is going to respond "YAC", but does that really impress you all that in much in a 7v7 conference like the B12?

I think Lamb has better body control.  Jefferson has very good body control, but Lamb's is elite.

• Like 1