Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Cool to have you in the Official WR hunt now @jrry32 with Cooks gone and pick at 52 and 57.

So let's say the WR class falls very favorably to the Rams and you have:

12. Jerry Jeudy

13. Henry Ruggs III

19. CeeDee Lamb

30. Justin Jefferson

46. Denzel Mims

Who you do you take? Still Higgins? Do you like Aiyuk? I love Aiyuk but he seems to be a love/hate guy like Shenault. I love Aiyuk, definitely do not like Shenault. Aiyuk is just super explosive with a crazy vertical. If he can add strength he could be scary.

Also, do you think they'd entertain trading up for Mims, considering they now have more draft capital?

One way to ruin my draft day is to take Ruggs with Lamb still on the board. The extra kick in the nuts is Jefferson going 30th. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

@jrry32 Well, good luck. I think there's a solid chance Higgins is there at 52. I'd worry about the Ravens trying to jump you though. Seems like the exact target they would want to give Lamar as a security blanket.

I'll be celebrating if he is. I think we'll have to trade up.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tee Higgins is a bust to me. He reminds me of Limas Sweed. Bad route runner and not quick. Linear route runner that wins jump balls, but is a 1-trick pony that will be more of a niche player than a starter. 

Limas Sweed was soft as Charmin, couldn't catch a cold, and was a bad contested catch WR in college. Y'all are killing me with these comparisons. You're making me rethink my love of Higgins for a minute. But he ain't Sweed or Jarrett. Telling ya, that kid is a baller. Watch his games and see what he does in contested catch situations. It's unreal. Hasn't been a guy like him in those situations since Mike Evans.

I’ve moved Ruggs to WR #1. Just what he offers as a speedster is special and he’s actually awesome at the catch point. I will say though, the top 3 guys are really about what you need, rather than who is best. 

Ruggs is the speed demon that will horrify DC’s. More polished than most of the “speed” WRs we’ve seen recently and has a great catch radius for a small guy. Needs a complementary WR next to him IMO.
Ruggs Comp—Steve Smith (CAR)

Jeudy is the uber polished WR that will always find himself open. Runs a full route tree and catches the ball consistently. Fast and strong, but a tick below Ruggs (speed) and Lamb (play strength). Can be a #1. 
Jeudy Comp—Torry Holt

Lamb is the physical receiver that will wear out DBs. Great route runner, elite hands, elite body control. Good enough speed to run past you, but he is more sudden than explosive. Violent after the catch. Can be a #1. 
Lamb Comp—Brandon Marshall

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Haven't watched much of Higgins, but this is Josh Doctson to a T.

Higgins is bigger and faster than Doctson, but I thought about comparing the two. I just think Higgins has more natural talent and ability than Doctson. 

@jrry32, I feel like Higgins is soft. He doesn’t do well getting off press coverage and while he is great on contested catches, he seems like he’s always covered and he offers nothing in the short/intermediate game. He runs fades, digs, and posts. Teams that commit a safety to sit over the top of him will feast on his limitations. His teammate Justyn Ross is better IMO. Much more physical and diverse. 

• Like 1

When a lot of people evaluate Ruggs they don’t factor in he’d be a DC’s worst nightmare, not Lamb or Jeudy. Ruggs can take any ball to the house anywhere and can take the top off a defense. Look at how good the Texan Offense is with Will Fuller and how terrible it is without him. And Ruggs III is a much better player than Fuller. DC’s would have to gameplan heavily for Ruggs, entire schemes. Jeudy/Lamb, double them, and they are mostly eliminated .

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

When a lot of people evaluate Ruggs they don’t factor in he’d be a DC’s worst nightmare, not Lamb or Jeudy. Ruggs can take any ball to the house anywhere and can take the top off a defense. Look at how good the Texan Offense is with Will Fuller and how terrible it is without him. And Ruggs III is a much better player than Fuller. DC’s would have to gameplan heavily for Ruggs, entire schemes. Jeudy/Lamb, double them, and they are mostly eliminated .

Yeah Ruggs is going to be more of a pain in the butt. You have to designate 2 players to him and even then, he’s shown the ability to get open at all levels and even win jump balls against safeties and corners. Not sure what, other than height, he lacks. Thus, the Steve Smith comparison.

@jrry32, I’m gonna dig into more Tee Higgins right now. Im watching him vs OSU as we speak. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Higgins is bigger and faster than Doctson, but I thought about comparing the two. I just think Higgins has more natural talent and ability than Doctson. 

@jrry32, I feel like Higgins is soft. He doesn’t do well getting off press coverage and while he is great on contested catches, he seems like he’s always covered and he offers nothing in the short/intermediate game. He runs fades, digs, and posts. Teams that commit a safety to sit over the top of him will feast on his limitations. His teammate Justyn Ross is better IMO. Much more physical and diverse. 

Justyn Ross is an elite prospect in his own right. He's going to be a top 15 pick if he stays healthy. That doesn't take away from Higgins. I gotta disagree that he's soft. Do you remember that TD catch from 2018 against Wake Forest? Safety had a clean shot, nailed Higgins, darn near knocked himself out, and Higgins didn't even flinch (or get knocked off his feet).

Higgins is an effective blocker, a dominant contested catch WR, fearless over the middle, and physical before and after the catch. I also think he's going to be lethal in the intermediate game as he develops as a route runner. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah Ruggs is going to be more of a pain in the butt. You have to designate 2 players to him and even then, he’s shown the ability to get open at all levels and even win jump balls against safeties and corners. Not sure what, other than height, he lacks. Thus, the Steve Smith comparison.

@jrry32, I’m gonna dig into more Tee Higgins right now. Im watching him vs OSU as we speak. 

OSU is a bad game for him (probably the only bad game I've seen from him). Okudah locked him up. Okudah is one of the few guys in college who is a better athlete and physically able to completely disrupt his game. Check out his game against Virginia. I know Virginia is an above average team at best, but if that game doesn't compel you to watch every other game you can find, I don't know what will lol.

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

So apparently Reagor ran a 4.22.... laughable. Not even 4.3 imo. Probably  a little better than his combine like a 4.42-4.43. 

Yeah, that time is a joke. Hamler and Ruggs are on a completely different level than Reagor in terms of acceleration and top-end speed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Justyn Ross is an elite prospect in his own right. He's going to be a top 15 pick if he stays healthy. That doesn't take away from Higgins. I gotta disagree that he's soft. Do you remember that TD catch from 2018 against Wake Forest? Safety had a clean shot, nailed Higgins, darn near knocked himself out, and Higgins didn't even flinch (or get knocked off his feet).

Higgins is an effective blocker, a dominant contested catch WR, fearless over the middle, and physical before and after the catch. I also think he's going to be lethal in the intermediate game as he develops as a route runner. 

Watched a highlight film and both OSU and South Carolina games. 

He’s quicker than I gave him credit for. He does a nice job of setting up his routed and he eats cushions on DBs exceptionally well. Adequate blocker. Competes hard for every ball. Has some easy drops. If the ball hits his hands deep down the field, he locates and squeezes it tight every time. Slow breaking out of his stance and lets DBs bully him to the outside vs. press coverage. That’s the one glaring negative I took away from watching him tonight. The omission on my part is his quickness and suddenness on routes. He snaps off in breaking routes so quickly that if you aren’t in perfect position, he’ll stride past you. 

NFL Comparison: Plaxico Burress

• Like 2

Just now, Ragnarok said:

While I'm at it, I'll believe Dantzler's time of 4.38.

Lol, I don’t. Not sure if you’re joking though. 

Dantzler probably is a 4.57 instead of a 4.64 because he started his 40 bad at the combine. But he’s not close to 4.4 speed. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yeah, that time is a joke. Hamler and Ruggs are on a completely different level than Reagor in terms of acceleration and top-end speed.

Agree but how much would opinions in here have changed in Ruggs ran a 4.4 at the combine and not the 4.2. Shouldn't matter but we know it does. Ruggs can be a dangerous weapon in the right offense...but people are also blinded by his combine time.

• Like 1