Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, here are a few WR comparisons for the shorter, speedy guys. This is based on potential (i.e., these guys developing well in the NFL). Tell me if I'm crazy:

Jalen Reagor = Emmanuel Sanders

K.J. Hamler = DeSean Jackson

Henry Ruggs = Peak Mike Wallace

I think Hamler is a better leaper than sanders and not quite as nuanced/polished in his routes. Understand this comp.

Same way I think Hamler is more shifty than djax. I don't really have a good comp for Hamler though.

Ruggs and peak mike wallace I can definitely see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Really love me some Bryan Edwards. First time watching him. Really jumped off the screen. Prefer him over the majority second tier guys like Mims, Reagor, Shenault etc. 

You have to watch a number of different games for Edwards. I'm a fan, but whether you like him or not will likely depend on which game you see first. His film is uneven from game to game, in part because his motor/competitiveness ran hot and cold. He was dominant against Bama. Looked like Allen Robinson. Had a couple other games where he went through the motions.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Hamler is a better leaper than sanders and not quite as nuanced/polished in his routes. Understand this comp.

Same way I think Hamler is more shifty than djax. I don't really have a good comp for Hamler though.

Ruggs and peak mike wallace I can definitely see.

Manny was an explosive leaper coming out. He's just better known in the NFL for his route running because he became so proficient at it. Reagor has the sort of skill-set that could lead to the same outcome. The question is if he'll develop like Sanders did. I don't know about the Hamler/D-Jax one. Check out DeSean's college highlights. He was shifty. Those punt return TDs of his against Tennessee and Oregon were pretty insane.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

@jrry32 I’m all aboard the Tyler Johnson hype train. Don’t need to see combine #’s. Crafty route runners with this quick feet/agility simply don’t fail in the NFL. Should be a great value pick in the Late 3rd/Early 4th. 

The NFL supposedly isn't that high on him. I don't get it. We shall see what he does. I have a feeling if he goes on Day 3, we'll be looking back in three or four years and wondering what the hell teams were thinking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You have to watch a number of different games for Edwards. I'm a fan, but whether you like him or not will likely depend on which game you see first. His film is uneven from game to game, in part because his motor/competitiveness ran hot and cold. He was dominant against Bama. Looked like Allen Robinson. Had a couple other games where he went through the motions.

Manny was an explosive leaper coming out. He's just better known in the NFL for his route running because he became so proficient at it. Reagor has the sort of skill-set that could lead to the same outcome. The question is if he'll develop like Sanders did. I don't know about the Hamler/D-Jax one. Check out DeSean's college highlights. He was shifty. Those punt return TDs of his against Tennessee and Oregon were pretty insane.

Actually you may be right if we're talking as prospects coming out. I don't remember that far back. I'm trying to think of all of them in the league.

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Actually you may be right if we're talking as prospects coming out. I don't remember that far back. I'm trying to think of all of them in the league.

Yeah, those things don't tend to stand out as much in the NFL because of the athletic parity. You're not throwing a lot of jump balls to 5'11" WRs or asking a guy with elite speed to do a lot of dancing. ;)

I'm not saying my comparisons are perfect. They're just who came to mind as upside players. Obviously, if Hamler doesn't progress, he could easily end up another Ted Ginn Jr.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The NFL supposedly isn't that high on him. I don't get it. We shall see what he does. I have a feeling if he goes on Day 3, we'll be looking back in three or four years and wondering what the hell teams were thinking.

Also a chance we could be dead wrong as well and they know more than we do. Usually not running at the combine means 4.6 or worse (not a death sentence, you have Keenan Allen, but what I always try to explain is 4.6+ and successful for a Non-Big WR is pretty damn rare). Looking at him though, he definitely doesn’t look 4.6. He looks 4.54 to 4.58 range. Kind of baffling why he wouldn’t run. 

It would be quite funny if Vikings loaded on trenches, OT/CB in 1st, DT in 2nd, DE in 3rd, and got the hometown Tyler Johnson in the 4th and he ends up almost as good as Diggs lol. Diggs was a 5th Rounder himself. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Also a chance we could be dead wrong as well and they know more than we do. Usually not running at the combine means 4.6 or worse (not a death sentence, you have Keenan Allen, but what I always try to explain is 4.6+ and successful for a Non-Big WR is pretty damn rare). Looking at him though, he definitely doesn’t look 4.6. He looks 4.54 to 4.58 range. Kind of baffling why he wouldn’t run. 

It would be quite funny if Vikings loaded on trenches, OT/CB in 1st, DT in 2nd, DE in 3rd, and got the hometown Tyler Johnson in the 4th and he ends up almost as good as Diggs lol. Diggs was a 5th Rounder himself. 

I forgot Diggs fell that far. IIRC, it was durability issues with him (and some questions about his character). There's a very real chance we're wrong, but that's the nature of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 4.6 flat type guy. But so were Cooper Kupp and Keenan Allen (as you noted). If you're quick, polished, and smart, you can still get open. And Johnson burnt some really good defenses in 2019. IMO, he'll feast on zone in the NFL. The question is if he can separate vs. M2M. I think with a little development, he will. His route running can improve, but he has a lot of the nuances down. And that's impressive for a guy who played QB in high school.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I forgot Diggs fell that far. IIRC, it was durability issues with him (and some questions about his character). There's a very real chance we're wrong, but that's the nature of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 4.6 flat type guy. But so were Cooper Kupp and Keenan Allen (as you noted). If you're quick, polished, and smart, you can still get open. And Johnson burnt some really good defenses in 2019. IMO, he'll feast on zone in the NFL. The question is if he can separate vs. M2M. I think with a little development, he will. His route running can improve, but he has a lot of the nuances down. And that's impressive for a guy who played QB in high school.

Johnson’s route running and craftiness with the right OC could be a very deadly WR. I don’t see much middle ground though. With a non-creative OC with so-so concepts, perhaps Johnson doesn’t succeed at all. 

Tyler Johnson on the 49ers, Rams, Chiefs, Colts, Panthers, or Vikings seem like great offensive fits. I think he could be a stud on those six teams. 

Kyle Shanahan with Tyler Johnson would be quite interesting. Seems Johnson can be a better Pettis in every way. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Johnson’s route running and craftiness with the right OC could be a very deadly WR. I don’t see much middle ground though. With a non-creative OC with so-so concepts, perhaps Johnson doesn’t succeed at all. 

Tyler Johnson on the 49ers, Rams, Chiefs, Colts, Panthers, or Vikings seem like great offensive fits. I think he could be a stud on those six teams. 

Kyle Shanahan with Tyler Johnson would be quite interesting. Seems Johnson can be a better Pettis in every way. 

Kyle Shanahan can keep his grubby mitts off Tyler Johnson.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Really love me some Bryan Edwards. First time watching him. Really jumped off the screen. Prefer him over the majority second tier guys like Mims, Reagor, Shenault etc. 

Yep. His injury is gonna benefit some lucky GM that waits on wr. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Kyle Shanahan can keep his grubby mitts off Tyler Johnson.

Well u would get to see him twice a yr. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, here are a few WR comparisons for the shorter, speedy guys. This is based on potential (i.e., these guys developing well in the NFL). Tell me if I'm crazy:

Jalen Reagor = Emmanuel Sanders

Henry Ruggs = Peak Mike Wallace

Reagor = Curtis Samuel

KJ Hamler = Tyler Lockett

Ruggs = John Ross

8 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

This might be reaching but if there was an Anquan Boldin in this draft, who would it be?

Jauan Jennings (Tennessee)

Both were former QBs that converted to WR.  Both ran in the 4.7s.  Both are tough as nails.   And I believe Jauan Jennings will be a good starting WR in the NFL.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Good comp.  I saw DJax in him as well.  Didn't make that comp cause Hamler is smaller than Jackson and also is more shifty and has better acceleration.