Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

6 hours ago, VanS said:

Have you not read the last few pages of this thread?  Chris Simms hit on both Mahomes and Lamar the last few drafts.  They've only won the last 2 regular season MVPs and he was the only voice in the media that had both rated as the top QBs in their particular classes.  As of now nobody in the media has hit on his bold draft takes like Chris Simms.  So when he delivers a take that diverges from the majority I listen.

Speaking of "following the herd"...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like underclassmen WRs are more likely to come out than most other positions, but don't have anything to back this up.

Of course. Just pointing out that early investments, recently, in senior wideouts hasn't really paid off. 

1 minute ago, sherm said:

1st rd wr is a tough sell no matter the classification. 

Let's look at the last 10 drafts for underclassmen at WR for comparison...

Nelson Agholor
Jonathan Baldwin
Odell Beckham Jr
Kelvin Benjamin
Justin Blackmon
Marquise Brown
Dez Bryant
Corey Coleman
Brandin Cooks
Amari Cooper
Mike Evans
Will Fuller
AJ Green
N'Keal Harry
DeAndre Hopkins
Julio Jones
DJ Moore
Breshad Perriman
John Ross III
Demaryius Thomas
Laquon Treadwell
Sammy Watkins
Mike Williams

Sure, a few busts in there (tho Blackmon wasn't skill related) but a MUCH better list than the current seniors.

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Simms is very accurate with QBs so far (although can't take him seriously with Tua at 4), but with other rankings like WR's, his opinion is not worth much. He doesn't have a great track record with WR's, and there is no way Jerry Jeudy isn't a Top 5 WR in this class. He's in most peoples Top 2.

Just because most people have Jeudy in the top 2 doesn't mean they are right.  Go back and look at the WR rankings in past drafts.  Lots of consensus top 2-3 WRs have ended up as busts.  If anything you are safer off dismissing whoever the top ranked WR prospects are rather than cosigning them based on recent history. 

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

You can be all of those things and have bad opinions on a draft class. You can also be all of things and not put in the required time it takes to build up nuanced opinions on the draft class. 

And if you don't agree with him much on stuff, why do you care so much about batting for the guy?

How can an opinion on a draft be bad when we are projecting the future?  A draft opinion only becomes good or bad after we see how the players turn out.  Also you have no idea how much time he puts in studying the draft.  I don't know if you listened to his podcast (Simms & Lefkoe) the last few years but I did and when draft season came around he gave some of the most detailed analysis on prospects I heard in the media.  The guy actually watches the All 22 tape of prospects and takes detailed notes.  He would go over these notes on the podcast.  He's not just saying stuff just to say it.

Eventhough I don't agree with him a lot, I'm defending him because I appreciate his independent thinking.  Everytime I watch guys in the media talk about the draft they all say pretty much the same stuff.  They're so afraid of being wrong that they would rather stick with the herd and if they're wrong then use the excuse that we were all wrong.  I appreciate the fact Chris Simms just states his opinion and doesn't care if it diverges from everyone else.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I know past drafts have no merits on current ones but...brutal list.

Corey Davis and Devante Parker aren't bad.  With that said, gimme Brandon Aiyuk over Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs.  Aiyuk reminds me of Chris Godwin.  He won't be a dominant #1 WR but he can be an excellent #2.

The more tape I watch on KJ Hamler the more I think he might be the best WR in this draft.  He's more explosive and elusive than Ruggs IMO.

KJ Hamler is the closest player to Tyreek Hill that I have seen.  I would draft him ahead of Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

Ok now I'm lost.  You need to explain to me why you got so much vitriol towards Chris Simms?  I actually don't agree with him a lot but I've not seen anything from him that merits this sort of reaction.  What has he said that makes him a hack?  To me he comes across as a decent analyst who does a good job being indepedent in his views rather than simply following the herd. 

Simms does exactly what you’re doing. He beats his chest because he was once in the league, despite being a complete failure in that respect. Thinks he’s the smartest person in the room - literally once called himself the most qualified person to talk about the QB position. Rips anyone that disagrees with him. Throws out crappy hot takes on a wall, and yes, some stick but they’re still crappy. He pumps out so much nonsense but because he had a ton of faith in Lamar and Mahomes (the latter of which wasn’t even that controversial), let’s lean on his opinion. For the record, hitting on a prospect doesn’t mean the evaluation was good. 

And I’ll just assume you don’t respond to the rest of the post because you can’t. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Simms does exactly what you’re doing. He beats his chest because he was once in the league, despite being a complete failure in that respect. Thinks he’s the smartest person in the room - literally once called himself the most qualified person to talk about the QB position. Rips anyone that disagrees with him. Throws out crappy hot takes on a wall, and yes, some stick but they’re still crappy. He pumps out so much nonsense but because he had a ton of faith in Lamar and Mahomes (the latter of which wasn’t even that controversial), let’s lean on his opinion. For the record, hitting on a prospect doesn’t mean the evaluation was good. 

And I’ll just assume you don’t respond to the rest of the post because you can’t. 

Truth. He's a hot take machine who spews bad analysis.

• Like 1

Chris Simms should be on NFLN because I do find him highly entertaining. But his analysis is just hot takes/for view clicks. Which is perfect for TV like NFLN/ESPN. It’s just “entertainment”. 

For more quality stuff, 

NFL has made the Official NFL Channel on SiriusXM free until May 15th because of coronavirus. Just download the app to your phone. 

They have great stuff every day. Good mix of analysis, entertainment, personalities, prospect and player interviews, etc. It’s absolutely nothing like ESPN and NFLN and media garbage you see on TV. Been listening for 4 years now. My favorite is Movin the Chains with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller. The Channel for NFL is 88. Alright NFL... where’s my check?

Also, there’s lots of great independent stuff on Twitter and Youtube.