Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

12 hours ago, Jeezla said:

ok, but what he does he do better, besides combine events?

Johnson probably runs a 4.56 40 if he ran it, compared to Jeffersons 4.43. Jefferson will be able to separate on a consistent basis in the NFL. Johnson, not so much. 4.56 is fine is you a physical WR and can fight for the ball, alas DeAndre Hopkins. 

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're still waiting on him to admit that Josh Dobbs was a nobody. 

If that's all you want then okay.  Josh Dobbs is a nobody (as of now).  But then again, Aaron Rodgers was also a nobody 3 years into his NFL career.  So it doesn't really mean much of anything.  With that said, I still believe Dobbs has the talent to be a star QB in the NFL when he gets his opportunity.  

5 minutes ago, VanS said:

If that's all you want then okay.  Josh Dobbs is a nobody (as of now).  But then again, Aaron Rodgers was also a nobody 3 years into his NFL career.  So it doesn't really mean much of anything.  With that said, I still believe Dobbs has the talent to be a star QB in the NFL when he gets his opportunity.  

That's very true, it's well-known that Dobbs is on the same career trajectory as a future Hall of Fame QB. 

• Like 3

IMO most of the WRs projected to go in the 1st round look like they could be busts.  Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, and Henry Ruggs simply don't impress me.  One guy who does is Brandon Aiyuk.  He's the most impressive WR I've seen getting projected in the 1st round.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:00 PM, VanS said:

We'll see.  As of the last few years nobody in the media has been better when it comes to projecting players than Chris Simms.  He was the only guy in the media that had Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen as the top QBs in the 2018 draft ahead of Sam Darnold.  Thus far his take there looks genius.  Before that in 2017 he had Patrick Mahomes as the top QB in that draft ahead of Trubisky and Watson.  He was very vocal about Mahomes all-time great ability.  At the time he was comparing him to Aaron Rodgers which I thought was insane.  Nowadays it looks to be on point. 

Lol. Would you like to add some real proof? Listing two times Simms got something right about a completely different position does not make him the best at projecting players or even competent at projecting WRs.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Lol. Would you like to add some real proof? Listing two times Simms got something right about a completely different position does not make him the best at projecting players or even competent at projecting WRs.

Last year Simms had as his top 5:
1) DK Metcalf 
2) Parris Campbell 
3) Marquis Brown
4) Deebo 
5) AJ Brown

• Like 1

1) DK Metcalf 
2) Parris Campbell 
3) Marquis Brown
4) Deebo 
5) AJ Brown

That's actually quite impressive, but I still don't buy his Jeudy take. He is Greg Jennings 2.0, which is worth a top-20 pick. Until his injury Greg was a full 3 zones WR. 16 YPC average until the injury killed his career, and his attitude with it. 

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

1) DK Metcalf 
2) Parris Campbell 
3) Marquis Brown
4) Deebo 
5) AJ Brown

WalterFootball's list was nearly identical. They had A.J. at 4 and Deebo at 5.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Listing two times Simms got something right about a completely different position does not make him the best at projecting players or even competent at projecting WRs.

I think his listing dealt with the point above. Not to say that he is the only one out there but he is pretty good and I personally prefer his take over any other guy this time of the year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

I think his listing dealt with the point above. Not to say that he is the only one out there but he is pretty good and I personally prefer his take over any other guy this time of the year.  

I think he's a hack. Putting out a generic top 5 list doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see past successes that were unexpected at the position. Nobody will be impressed if you think Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, and CeeDee Lamb will pan out (as an example). What's impressive is finding gems and avoiding busts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think he's a hack. Putting out a generic top 5 list doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see past successes that were unexpected at the position. Nobody will be impressed if you think Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, and CeeDee Lamb will pan out (as an example). What's impressive is finding gems and avoiding busts.

Charlie Campbell does a segment on WF called draft position review where he breaks down the top eight prospects in each class for each position.

It's one of my favorite reads in the draft season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think that was the initial point by Vans that he was talking up Mahomes and Jackson before others were. 

I find his ranking this year interesting less for the fact that he doesn't have Jeudy but more for the fact he has Hamler and Higgins in the top 5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I think that was the initial point by Vans that he was talking up Mahomes and Jackson before others were. 

I find his ranking this year interesting less for the fact that he doesn't have Jeudy but more for the fact he has Hamler and Higgins in the top 5.

Which doesn't address the WR position, ignores that both were first round picks, and doesn't show anything beyond him being right about two players. I could make myself sound like the GOAT draft analyst if I only noted a handful of my successful evaluations and left everything else out. That's why I asked Van for some proof to back his assertion.

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Charlie Campbell does a segment on WF called draft review where he breaks down the top eight prospects in each class for each position.

It's one of my favorite reads in the draft season.

The draft position reviews on WF are excellent. Overall, Charlie Campbell is an excellent analyst. His track record is consistently squeaky clean with his bust projections, where people are getting taken, where the value is, people who could be good contributors, and overall breakdowns. He's been one of the best mock drafters for several years. I think he had the best one in the media two years ago.

I was talking to Charlie about Marlon Davidson LAST YEAR after his second blocked punt in a row and he posted about him on the website. 

Anyways, he's seemed to do a very good job at evaluating WRs. He had AJ as his top guy almost every week last year pre-draft. He wasn't a fan of Corey Davis or John Ross, but liked Mike Williams and Cooper Kupp. Overall, he's a very credible as both an analyst and reporter.