Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

Just now, brownie man said:

So underrated 

I think he’s going to be a Carl Nicks type pickup. To where all the talent is clearly there and teams are just stupid and pass on him. He’s going to be a ten year starter multiple pro bowler 

Underrated?  He was what the top #1 rated player at his position coming out of high school, was all SEC 2nd team as a freshman and was First team All SEC this season as a junior.

If people underrated him in terms of the next level it is because of the health concerns.  It is a massive issue potentially.  

"Large or multiple blood clots can be fatal.  The blockage can be life-threatening.  According to the Mayo Clinic, it results in the death of one-third of the people who go undiagnosed or untreated. " 

"Doctors have found no genetic cause for Smith’s blood clot issue, but it is one that, once it appears, carries a high risk of returning later on, which is what happened with Smith.  Blood clots are potentially fatal issues that have forced multiple athletes into retirement in order to save their lives. No one’s putting such a prognosis on Smith at this juncture, but it certainly seems like all options are on the table."

And Trey Smith has had blood clots in his lungs twice while at Tennessee.   Hope the best for him but if he is underrated it is because of those health concerns not only for his football career but his life.  

Also in terms of football specifically, in pass pro he gets off balance a lot, plays wild at times and overly aggressive.  Is best moving forward and attacking, not the best always going backward but that can be improved of course. 

10 minutes ago, brownie man said:

So underrated 

I think he’s going to be a Carl Nicks type pickup. To where all the talent is clearly there and teams are just stupid and pass on him. He’s going to be a ten year starter multiple pro bowler 

Well, he might be like Nicks in more than one way. Nicks only lasted 4.5 years in the NFL due to a health issue (of course, his wasn't foreseeable). You can't blame teams if they're worried about the blood clots.

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

What's your take on him @goldfishwars?  I was significantly higher on him coming into this season than I am coming out of it.  Still think he can come good and be a viable starter in the right system, but I tend to knock guys who come in carrying a good deal of hype and then underwhelm on lines filled out with a bunch of other upperclassmen.

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, he might be like Nicks in more than one way. Nicks only lasted 4.5 years in the NFL due to a health issue (of course, his wasn't foreseeable). You can't blame teams if they're worried about the blood clots.

Maybe not underrated but undervalued. 

idk man I’d draft Smith in the 2nd if he’s still there. In the first I’ll take one of the other guys, but he could be a blue chip in the 2nd round 

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Maybe not underrated but undervalued. 

idk man I’d draft Smith in the 2nd if he’s still there. In the first I’ll take one of the other guys, but he could be a blue chip in the 2nd round 

I don't think he is either.  I believe most people consider him a top 15, maybe top 10, level talent.  

However, blood clots are about as severe an injury concern as a player could have.  

There is massive risk and massive reward...so how soon do you roll that dice?

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I don't think he is either.  I believe most people consider him a top 15, maybe top 10, level talent.  

However, blood clots are about as severe an injury concern as a player could have.  

There is massive risk and massive reward...so how soon do you roll that dice?

Tell us Berlin how soon do you?

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

What's your take on him @goldfishwars?  I was significantly higher on him coming into this season than I am coming out of it.  Still think he can come good and be a viable starter in the right system, but I tend to knock guys who come in carrying a good deal of hype and then underwhelm on lines filled out with a bunch of other upperclassmen.

Yeah, I think you still take a chance on the athleticism - but he's been sloppy this past year. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Excited to get a closer look at some of the guys in the Senior Bowl who it's difficult to find tape on, but are coming in with some pretty insane PFF grades. There could be a bunch of guys here who end up being 1st and 2nd day picks. 

And who are these guys?  Because honestly outside of Biadasz there are no real guards who deserve a 1st round pick now that Alaric Jackson and Alex Leatherwood are out.  

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma has late 1st round value if he comes out but might not, maybe Jonah Jackson possibly.  I could see those OTs all being 1st round guys but you take Austin Jackson and Trey Smith out things change fast.  Unless one thinks those guys on the Oregon line are high 1st rounders which I do not, same with the seniors on the Auburn OL.  And if Kraemer returns to school like Eichenberg it hurts the depth on the OG/OT spot as well.

OT
Tristian Wirfs Iowa JR
Andrew Thomas Georgia JR
Jedrick Willis Alabama JR
Trey Adams Washington RS
Austin Jackson USC JR
Mekhi Becton Louisville JR

OG
Trey Smith Tennessee JR
Jonah Jackson Ohio State GS*
Deonte Brown Alabama RS JR
John Simpson Clemson