Sign in to follow this  
CalhounLambeau

Official 2020 TE Thread

I feel like we haven't had a strong TE class in a while now...

5 hours ago, D82 said:

Really?  This last draft 2019 was pretty strong I thought, two selected in the top 20 is hard to do.  Then in 2017 was a solid group overall as well.  Sure this 2020 group is kind of weak but that could change if some RS SOPH guys come out.  

5 hours ago, D82 said:

As far as prospects go, that's not necessarily true.

2015 wasn't great. You had guys like Clive Walford, Maxx Williams (who screamed bust with some bad interviews and a mediocre 40), and Nick O'Leary (who also screamed bust to me with that 40). CJ Uzomah was an athletic project-type TE.

2016 was pretty weak. Not many prospects of note. Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper, with Jerrell Adams being an intriguing-looking pick later.

2017 was legendary. You had three first-rounders in OJ Howard, Evan Engram, and David Njoku. Two second-rounders in Gerald Everett and Adam Shaheen, with some rumblings of Everett being worth a late first. Shaheen was a project but had great athleticism and a pretty high ceiling. Jonnu Smith was a 3rd-rounder as a very well-regarded H-back type a la Charles Clay or Delanie Walker. A lot of well-regarded mid-rounders with Toledo's Michael Roberts (well-regarded as a great blocker, but if I remember correctly basically everyone thought he'd be a sixth-rounder or so - reminds me of Drew Sample), Michigan's Jake Butt (who, injury aside, likely would have been a second-rounder), Iowa's George Kittle (who was well-regarded as a potential boom prospect), Clemson's Jordan Leggett (who was overrated with zero willingness to block), Arkansas' Jeremy Sprinkle (whom I thought would be a second-day pick), and a project-type tight end in Virginia Tech's Bucky Hodges. 

2018 was a little above average. Hayden Hurst had a wart with his age, but otherwise reminded me a lot of Hunter Henry. Mike Gesicki (Ozzy touched on him already), Dallas Goedert (who some people had pegged as a first-rounder), and Mark Andrews were quality prospects. Ian Thomas and Chris Herndon were well-regarded as potential starters. Also a very intriguing project in Jordan Thomas, whom I was a little bullish on before the draft due to his WR background and impressive size.

2019 was nice. TJ Hockenson was worth that top-10 pick. Noah Fant was pretty crazy athletic. Irv Smith Jr I thought was worth a late first. Drew Sample was overdrafted but well-regarded during the process as a great blocker who could contribute a bit as a pass catcher. Josh Oliver, Jace Sternberger, Kahale Warring, and Dawson Knox were all pretty athletic day 2 prospects with nice receiving skills and 3-down starter potential. I think Trevon Wesco could be a starter for some teams as a big blocker with the athleticism to potentially be a tower-type field-stretcher down the seam. Kaden Smith and Isaac Nauta are good blockers with great hands. I love Caleb Wilson's value as Mr. Irrelevant with that speed and production at UCLA. Thought he'd be a third-rounder or so.