Official 2020 TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

5 hours ago, D82 said:

I feel like we haven't had a strong TE class in a while now...

Really?  This last draft 2019 was pretty strong I thought, two selected in the top 20 is hard to do.  Then in 2017 was a solid group overall as well.  Sure this 2020 group is kind of weak but that could change if some RS SOPH guys come out.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, D82 said:

I feel like we haven't had a strong TE class in a while now...

As far as prospects go, that's not necessarily true.

2015 wasn't great. You had guys like Clive Walford, Maxx Williams (who screamed bust with some bad interviews and a mediocre 40), and Nick O'Leary (who also screamed bust to me with that 40). CJ Uzomah was an athletic project-type TE.

2016 was pretty weak. Not many prospects of note. Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper, with Jerrell Adams being an intriguing-looking pick later.

2017 was legendary. You had three first-rounders in OJ Howard, Evan Engram, and David Njoku. Two second-rounders in Gerald Everett and Adam Shaheen, with some rumblings of Everett being worth a late first. Shaheen was a project but had great athleticism and a pretty high ceiling. Jonnu Smith was a 3rd-rounder as a very well-regarded H-back type a la Charles Clay or Delanie Walker. A lot of well-regarded mid-rounders with Toledo's Michael Roberts (well-regarded as a great blocker, but if I remember correctly basically everyone thought he'd be a sixth-rounder or so - reminds me of Drew Sample), Michigan's Jake Butt (who, injury aside, likely would have been a second-rounder), Iowa's George Kittle (who was well-regarded as a potential boom prospect), Clemson's Jordan Leggett (who was overrated with zero willingness to block), Arkansas' Jeremy Sprinkle (whom I thought would be a second-day pick), and a project-type tight end in Virginia Tech's Bucky Hodges. 

2018 was a little above average. Hayden Hurst had a wart with his age, but otherwise reminded me a lot of Hunter Henry. Mike Gesicki (Ozzy touched on him already), Dallas Goedert (who some people had pegged as a first-rounder), and Mark Andrews were quality prospects. Ian Thomas and Chris Herndon were well-regarded as potential starters. Also a very intriguing project in Jordan Thomas, whom I was a little bullish on before the draft due to his WR background and impressive size.

2019 was nice. TJ Hockenson was worth that top-10 pick. Noah Fant was pretty crazy athletic. Irv Smith Jr I thought was worth a late first. Drew Sample was overdrafted but well-regarded during the process as a great blocker who could contribute a bit as a pass catcher. Josh Oliver, Jace Sternberger, Kahale Warring, and Dawson Knox were all pretty athletic day 2 prospects with nice receiving skills and 3-down starter potential. I think Trevon Wesco could be a starter for some teams as a big blocker with the athleticism to potentially be a tower-type field-stretcher down the seam. Kaden Smith and Isaac Nauta are good blockers with great hands. I love Caleb Wilson's value as Mr. Irrelevant with that speed and production at UCLA. Thought he'd be a third-rounder or so.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Ozzy Anything on Breeland at all? Strengths, weaknesses and will he be drafted (if so when)? 

He has been ok over his career but this year he has been playing the best of his career no doubt.  Had a great game against Stanford, showed the ability to go up and get the football, is a good looking athlete he could easily be a mid round pick or late round at the worst especially if he keeps playing this well.  Was surprised to see his listed weight at 6-5 250, he looks more 6-3 in terms of height, is not super long either but maybe it is the number he wears.  Decent player and totally has a chance at the next level and a chance to be drafted.  He could work out well at the combine, seems to have some good wheels for a big TE.

The real TE I am excited about is Cole Kmet JR from Notre Dame.  Best game of his career easily against Georgia.  Kid is massive, can run well and is a big athletic target.  Could be a super star if he can keep up this level of production, look like a beast out there and was very hard to handle, played a little slot WR as well and did well getting open and using his massive frame.  With Kmet there is zero question he is 6-5+, with Breeland I question that height a little bit.  

Edited by Ozzy

He's not eligible in 2020, but Kyle Pitts is a future first round pick and star. He reminds me of prime Jimmy Graham. Long, very athletic, physical, and outstanding hands/body control. His blocking isn't good at this point, but he's an insane talent as a receiver. Has run over CBs covering him each of the past two weeks while running his routes (and I mean flattened them, but in a legal way). However, he's not just physical while running routes. He's athletic and can separate with his routes. He's sure-handed. And he's physical after the catch. I desperately hope this kid stays healthy. UF has been splitting him out at WR quite a bit, and he looks like a natural there. He's a match-up nightmare.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

Cheyenne O'grady(Arkansas) looked good vs A&M last wk. Also Matt Bushman from BYU...has some decent speed to stretch the field.

I agree O'Grady is one to watch as the year goes on, really though he is just a slot WR for that team, does not play a lot of TE in terms of blocking in line but is a pass catching threat and a very natural pass catcher.  Could be a sleeper prospect come draft time no doubt.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:45 AM, jrry32 said:

He's not eligible in 2020, but Kyle Pitts is a future first round pick and star. He reminds me of prime Jimmy Graham. Long, very athletic, physical, and outstanding hands/body control. His blocking isn't good at this point, but he's an insane talent as a receiver. Has run over CBs covering him each of the past two weeks while running his routes (and I mean flattened them, but in a legal way). However, he's not just physical while running routes. He's athletic and can separate with his routes. He's sure-handed. And he's physical after the catch. I desperately hope this kid stays healthy. UF has been splitting him out at WR quite a bit, and he looks like a natural there. He's a match-up nightmare.

I agree down the road as a true SOPH Pitts could become a fine prospect as a TE.  Long and athletic and has been quite explosive this year and should get even better in time, is a big key to that offense I feel, is very hard to handle.  Sure they will split him out in the slot just for blocking and miss matches but he is a TE all the way at the next level.  Kentucky does the same thing with Ahmad Wagner, split him actually out wide not even in the slot, but for then next level I feel Wagner is a TE/HB all the way.  

Cole Kmet though is the one to watch at TE, has arguably been as impressive as any TE in the country especially the last two games.  I think Jake Ferguson RS SOPH, Pat Freiermuth Prep school SOPH and Cade Otton RS SOPH have been some what all disappointing this year.  Expected more out of all of them especially Freiermuth.  

I've never been impressed as a Mizzou fan with Albert O as most draft pundits are. I wouldn't take him in the top 50. He beats up on horrible teams and then disappears in the big games. He still will need a ton of work with route running and blocking. I see the only real use he'd bring immediately is in the redzone. He also seems to be perpetually hurt with something.

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I've never been impressed as a Mizzou fan with Albert O as most draft pundits are. I wouldn't take him in the top 50. He beats up on horrible teams and then disappears in the big games. He still will need a ton of work with route running and blocking. I see the only real use he'd bring immediately is in the redzone. He also seems to be perpetually hurt with something.

I agree this year he has kind of been disappointing, I had him as a late 1st rounder but changed it now to more 2nd round guy.  Upside with him is huge, is a very natural pass catcher and the kid has a huge wingspan.  I love his upside and potential but without Lock at QB his production might take a dip this year, still does not mean the right team could draft him and develop him into a super star TE.  He has the size and athletic ability to be a great pass catching talent and is easily one of the more talented TEs in the up coming draft.  As a RS FR TE he had amazing potential, has kind of leveled off some what since then but kid is still a really talented overall prospect.

Guys like Dissly and Knox were not greatly productive at all in college and in the right situations they are both doing very well in the pros and are arguably more productive and better players overall or at least have looked like it.  I think that could happen with Albert in the right system, he would rip it up on the Patriots if he got the chance and would be a heck of a red zone target and miss match with his massive size and athletic ability.  I need to see more of Harrison Bryant, he has a ton of upside and potential as well as a big TE.

Edited by Ozzy

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree this year he has kind of been disappointing, I had him as a late 1st rounder but changed it now to more 2nd round guy.  Upside with him is huge, is a very natural pass catcher and the kid has a huge wingspan.  I love his upside and potential but without Lock at QB his production might take a dip this year, still does not mean the right team could draft him and develop him into a super star TE.  He has the size and athletic ability to be a great pass catching talent and is easily one of the more talented TEs in the up coming draft.  As a RS FR TE he had amazing potential, has kind of leveled off some what since then but kid is still a really talented overall prospect.

Guys like Dissly and Knox were not greatly productive at all in college and in the right situations they are both doing very well in the pros and are arguably more productive and better players overall or at least have looked like it.  I think that could happen with Albert in the right system, he would rip it up on the Patriots if he got the chance and would be a heck of a red zone target and miss match with his massive size and athletic ability.  I need to see more of Harrison Bryant, he has a ton of upside and potential as well as a big TE.

Yeah, the upside is huge because his frame is ideal and he could be a double digit TD guy if he reaches his potential. I just have a lot of doubts that he will ever do that. I realize Bryant is a big drop off from Lock, but I also didn't love how Albert O played last year either. 

He's only a sophomore but I like Mizzou's other TE (Daniel Parker) better. He's a much better blocker and he competes much better every snap and runs angry when he gets the ball. He still has a lot to polish in the receiving game but he is going to get a shot whenever he is done at Mizzou.

• 4 weeks later...