Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

For sure, just saying it's going to probably take one of those 1sts with 5 I imagine to get him. MAYBE there 2nd in place of Houston 1st but...

Yeah, agreed.  I'd want the Redskins to trade back only if we were offered a greater haul than the RGIII trade, which isn't going to happen.

32 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And then Tua will have what appears to be a finally broken out Devante Parker, Big target emerging Mike Gesicki and a high potential Preston Williams to throw to. Just need to get that running game going and some protection. 

I'd be shocked if MIA didn't spend a Rd1 pick on RB.  It's a waste of draft value, but when teams draft a franchise QB, they usually want a RB to help support the run game.  

Frankly, MIA should be investing in OL & RB on O in this draft, there's a huge mine of talent.   They could really improve with Fitz as the tutor for 2020 even more than they did this year.  GM Grier gets it.  And I say the above still worried about Tua's injury risk (it's well beyond "he could get hurt" here).

35 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Miami's going to have to trade up if they want Tua.

No doubt CAR and LAC will be trying.

I actually don't think it will be needed at all.

Young, Thomas and Okudah are seen as elite guys.    The real Q IMO is in which order they fall.   Tua's medical flag is going to still be massive.

And keep in mind - Gettleman NEVER trades back.  GM Elway tried to move up from 1.5 to 1.2 to get Darnold - Gettleman wouldn't return his phone calls.    WAS isn't moving back to 1.5, that's a huge dropoff in talent.    

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I actually don't think it will be needed at all.

Young, Thomas and Okudah are seen as elite guys.    The real Q IMO is in which order they fall.   Tua's medical flag is going to still be massive.

And keep in mind - Gettleman NEVER trades back.  GM Elway tried to move up from 1.5 to 1.2 to get Darnold - Gettleman wouldn't return his phone calls.    WAS isn't moving back to 1.5, that's a huge dropoff in talent.    

I'm not talking about WAS. I'm talking about Detroit.

The point is, 3 teams need QBs. If all 3 love Tua theres a bidding war.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'm of the belief LAC goes vet QB, and goes Wirfs at T.  Win-now team doesn't win in 2020 with Tua.

I mean that's fine if you think that, I'm not sure I agree. Even in case of going with a vet it doesn't mean if a franchise QB is a possibility you steer clear.

Carolina also needs a guy as well. With Rhule/Stefanski potentially coming, they'll want "their guy" too.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Miami's going to have to trade up if they want Tua.

No doubt CAR and LAC will be trying.

I think the bigger question is how far does Detroit want to trade down.  Assuming the 'Fins and Lions swap picks so that Miami can select Tua, that means either Jeffery Okudah or Andrew Thomas are guaranteed to be available since only the Giants pick between 3 and 5.  If they move down to 6 (with LAC) or 7 (with CAR), they're not guaranteed either of those two.  And I think those two are guys that Detroit is going to look heavily at.  The cost to move up from 5 should be quite a bit lower than 6/7 because you're guaranteed to get one of Okudah/Thomas assuming you view them in that next tier after Burrow/Young.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I think the bigger question is how far does Detroit want to trade down.  Assuming the 'Fins and Lions swap picks so that Miami can select Tua, that means either Jeffery Okudah or Andrew Thomas are guaranteed to be available since only the Giants pick between 3 and 5.  If they move down to 6 (with LAC) or 7 (with CAR), they're not guaranteed either of those two.  And I think those two are guys that Detroit is going to look heavily at.  The cost to move up from 5 should be quite a bit lower than 6/7 because you're guaranteed to get one of Okudah/Thomas assuming you view them in that next tier after Burrow/Young.

Are we sure that Okudah/Brown/Thomas/Simmons aren't all in a similar tier? Not sure where Jeudy or Lamb fit in all this but both seem to be viewed as the only clear cut #1 types in the draft as well.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Are we sure that Okudah/Brown/Thomas/Simmons aren't all in a similar tier? Not sure where Jeudy or Lamb fit in all this but both seem to be viewed as the only clear cut #1 types in the draft as well.

Can't envision a scenario in which Detroit wants to grab a WR with their FRP.  Nothing concrete, but just doesn't seem like the PR look the Lions would want.  We've got 4 years of history with Bob Quinn as GM of the Lions.  Of their four FRPs, they've taken Taylor Decker (OT), Jarrad Davis (LB), Frank Ragnow (IOL), and TJ Hockenson (TE).  Clearly, Quinn doesn't really have a huge premium on positional value, otherwise they probably wouldn't have taken Jarrad Davis or TJ Hockenson.  On Day 2, the Lions have taken A'Shawn Robinson (DT), Graham Glasgow (IOL), Teez Tabor (CB), Kenny Golloday (WR), Kerryon Johnson (RB), Tracy Walker (S), Jahlani Tavai (LB), and Will Harris (S).  3 high picks of LBs in the last four years seems like overkill.

At the end of the day, does Miami need Tua?  I don't think so.  I think they're content rolling into the '21 draft with a core in place and look to find their QB there rather than going with a talented, but flawed QB in '20.

If I'm the Dolphins (and I love Tua and his medicals check out) I'd be nervous about moving up to #3.  What if someone offers a haul for #2?  I'd secure my guy by first trading up to #3 then trading up to #2, which is similar to what the Eagles did to get Wentz.  It'd be cheaper than the asking price for #2, because the Redskins would ask for a lot to miss out on Young.  But if the Dolphins had #3, the Redskins wouldn't need much to trade back because they'd still be guaranteed Young.

Wishful thinking from a Redskins fan, I know.  I guess it all depends how much the Dolphins think other teams covet Tua.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I'd be shocked if MIA didn't spend a Rd1 pick on RB.  It's a waste of draft value, but when teams draft a franchise QB, they usually want a RB to help support the run game.  

Frankly, MIA should be investing in OL & RB on O in this draft, there's a huge mine of talent.   They could really improve with Fitz as the tutor for 2020 even more than they did this year.  GM Grier gets it.  And I say the above still worried about Tua's injury risk (it's well beyond "he could get hurt" here).

I would be shocked if they draft a RB in Round 1. Especially given how deep this class is at RB. They can take one in the 2nd if they're really so inclined.