**TCMD** - Keeper Discussion Thread

ny92mike

The system I'm using to simulate the standings is something I've used over the years to project the outcome of a game based on the season ending stats collected from NFL.com   With this system I used team stats to get an accuracy of about 70-77% depending on the year.  This year the numbers landed in the middle at 74.7% with a correlation value of 85.9% to the IRL standings and it gets wicked accurate if I remove games where the projected point differential is greater than or equal to 10.  Meaning if I remove games that would be considered close games the accuracy jumps from mid 70's to mid 90's.  The mid 70% range is calculating all the games played 253 down to only 78 but 74 of those 78 is picks the right team.  So I know the system works when the stats are known, now it isn't as accurate as the numbers listed above when collecting stat data in the middle of the season vs the end, but I'll be using this years stat collection to see if I can't refine it, so know that this is a work in progress and will continue to be a work in progress even after we've established this sim.  Just like with any other tcmd mock, I'm always looking for ways to improve it and this project get a lot of attention each year as I look to make it better.

Because I know that the team stats method works, I'm taking the sum of individual stats to create the team stat to use for this system.  However, making a couple changes rather than calculate all the stats for this I'm taking the leaders so for example quarterbacks using Eagles as an example.

Carson Wentz PHI QB 279 401 69.6 36.5 3,074 7.7 279.5 21.0 7.0 159.0 39.7 58.0 37.0 5.0 31.0 102.2
Nick Foles PHI QB 141 195 72.3 39 1,413 7.2 282.6 7.0 4.0 60.0 30.8 83.0 14.0 4.0 9.0 96
Nate Sudfeld PHI QB 1 2 50 1 22.0 11.0 11.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 50.0 22.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 129.2

Now Nate may turn out to be a great player but if someone were to use him as their starting quarterback under this system, he'd be an all star, which we can't have that mainly because it's Pete's team but players with minimal stats will not be included even if he's your only qb listed.  You're basically playing without a qb under this system.  This system doesn't generate stats but manipulates them so if on the passing slider you set him up to throw for 600 attempts for the year but IRL he's only attempted 2 passes and while that two attempts looked good it just wouldn't be fair, because the manipulation is just adjusting his overall stats as if he passed for 600 times so his touchdowns and passer rating would be off the charts.

I'll get the qualifying numbers for each position posted this week so that you'll know in advance.  Also, since we don't have this years stats to run off of, we'll be using the 2018 stats, so basically when you start building your team look for talent that put up middle of the road attempts or better with solid stats to back them up, basically what you'd look for in a player if you were building your irl team.  Because this is just a test run, you may want to rethink how important the younger talent is if the numbers aren't there yet.

Hope this helps...Please if you have questions about this are anything related to this simulator fire away.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I am on vacation starting tomorrow though next friday.  Fine to start whenever, but will likely miss some picks. 

Understand....The time slots for each pick will be the same each day, which should help out with those members on vacation.  Also, if you need too I'll be around to take big boards.

Could someone help me out and look up this list of names and let me know if these guys have retired or are no longer in the game please.  I'm matching OTC names with NFL names and I'm not coming up with a match.

Player Team Pos
Chris Long PHI DE
Julius Peppers CAR DE
L.T. Walton PIT DE
Damontre Moore OAK DE
Dexter McDougle PHI CB
Andre Hal HOU DB
Leonard Johnson ARI DB
Maurice Alexander SEA DB
Adam Jones DEN DB
Keith Tandy ATL DB
Derrick Johnson OAK LB