What Should The Cowboys Do?

TakeTheBallDeep

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

Fromm might go really early. NFL execs are drooling over his tools and potential

He's pretty underwhelming from both of those standpoints. He doesn't have superb athletic ability. He has good mechanics, not great, and plays with an immense amount of talent around him.

Fromm strikes me as the classic "Most NFL ready prospect"

And those basically never work out well.

Not a fan of either Dak or Cooper. I personally let both walk, can't see either worth top 5 money. Elliot is an elite player but he seems to come with so much baggage and he's a RB. Conventional wisdom says to walk away from Elliot but i think that may be much harder than Dak and Cooper.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, Dallas has their hands tied.  They're too talented to bottom out to get a chance at a true franchise QB, but they're not good enough to be true Super Bowl contenders.  Legitimately in QB purgatory.

Agree with everything here except the bold.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:46 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Does anyone think trading Zeke would be a good idea before next season? They could probably get a good haul for him 

They absolutely should try to trade him. But I disagree that they'd get a good haul for him. Nobody wants to pay RB's elite money and additionally, Zeke is a moron off the field.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, Danger said:

Fromm strikes me as the classic "Most NFL ready prospect"

His physical skill set isn't amazing, but it's extremely underrated. He isn't Colt McCoy. The dude is accurate as hell, gets the ball out quickly, and can deliver it to every level of the field on time. He is most certainly the "Most NFL ready prospect," but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Not sure what QB's you're thinking of that were labeled that and were terrible. Maybe Rosen? But he's played 1 year. That's literally the only QB I can think of that got that label (for a top half of R1) and didn't do at least solid.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

His physical skill set isn't amazing, but it's extremely underrated. He isn't Colt McCoy. The dude is accurate as hell, gets the ball out quickly, and can deliver it to every level of the field on time. He is most certainly the "Most NFL ready prospect," but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Not sure what QB's you're thinking of that were labeled that and were terrible. Maybe Rosen? But he's played 1 year. That's literally the only QB I can think of that got that label (for a top half of R1) and didn't do at least solid.

What I'm saying is. He doesn't strike me as someone with very high potential. Could see him as a back end first rounder or early 2nd.

Sign Dak

Sign Cooper

Jaylon Smith is a Restricted free agent (1st rd tender) Then sign 2021

I believe Robert Quinn and Randall Cobb will have a great year (Resign)

Byron Jones TBD

Let Collins walk

Trade  Zeke (Ex: Lamaar Miller 2020 1st and 4th 2021 3rd)

Cutting Allen Hurns and or Tyrone Crawford now saves huge money 

Cowboys have more than enough cap space and players that can be  restructured to sign all players.

No matter what happens Superbowl or 6-10 I believe Garrett gets remover from Head Coach into a front office position and Kris Richard becomes head coach next season.

This thread is like blood in the water for uninformed sharks. 

On 7/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

What will the Cowboys do?

Probably extend Zeke along with everyone else, because its not nearly as hard to do as people make it out to be.

What should the Cowboys do?

Prioritize:

1. Dak

2. Cooper/Jaylon Smith

3a. Byron Jones (depending on cost)

3b. Zeke (depending on cost)

The pro-Zeke/anti-Dak comments in this thread are quite ridiculous. Need I remind you all that Dak has more good games than Wentz or Goff have games played. Dak gets discredited for a 10 game stretch where his WR core was ranked *DEAD LAST* in the NFL at getting open AND his OL was ranked 28th in the NFL in passblocking. He was surrounded by the trashiest of trash. Outside of that time frame he is a top 10 (top 5ish) QB.

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1090794435615617024/photo/1

As for Zeke and his importance, I point you to the following:

We know — and the Cowboys should, too — that rushing is not nearly as important to winning in the NFL as passing. But rushing is still a part of the game, and situational running is still critical. A back who excels in high-leverage spots can be quite valuable. It could be the case that Dallas believes it has an advantage in crucial moments with Zeke on the field that helps justify re-signing him.

--------------------------------------------------------

Situationally, Zeke is profoundly average, but some perspective here is probably needed. Situational running, while important, is relatively rare. Around 5 percent of Elliott’s carries came in the red zone in 2018. Fifteen percent came in situations when the Cowboys were trying to close out the game, and 14 percent came on short-yardage runs in the open field. The majority of Zeke’s carries — about 65 percent — occurred in other situations. The problem is that those other situations turn out to be awful times to run the football.

----------------------------------------------------------

It sounds strange, but commanding bad rushing volume is really the only aspect of Elliott’s game that is truly elite. The Cowboys could believe that they have a generational talent at the running back position, and because of this faith, they overuse him.

It’s that overuse that’s the problem. Extending Elliott is the manifestation of an objectively poor offensive strategy. It isn’t just a terrible idea because the valuable portion of Elliott’s production — the situational part — is easily replaced by nearly any back talented enough to make a Week 1 NFL roster. And an early extension isn’t just poor risk management because between 20 to 33 percent of high-volume running backs will incur a serious injury in a given year, though that is also certainly true.6

The primary reason an investment in an overpriced, risky asset is truly awful is because it can impact play calling in the worst possible way. In an attempt to justify the overspend at the position, a team may be encouraged to run more and pass less. It’s the worst kind of curse, and the Cowboys seem eager to cast the hex on themselves.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

• Like 1

What the Cowboys should do is less of an issue than what they must do. The first mandatory order of business is to sign Dak. If he is allowed to walk Jerry must find a replacement who is at least as effective as Dak at is at avoiding blunders that cause the team to lose more games than they already do. That replacement doesn't exist. If Jerry rolls the dice on some cheaper QB the locker room will inevitably explode like what happened in Houston in 1993. Now Dak is no Tom Brady but he is no Andy Dalton either. Dak is in the upper level of second tier or perhaps at the bottom of the first tier of QBs when at his best. To keep him at that higher level requires surrounding him with Dak friendly players like Amari Cooper. Therefore resigning Cooper and keeping the Great Wall together are equally important and must happen before Jerry even tries to resign any others players. Because the Cowboys are stuck with a  QB who is clearly less than elite they must rely heavily on defense to win the Super Bowl. That requires resigning Jones and Smith. Keeping those players will put the Cowboys right up against the cap. That leaves Zeke as the odd man out. Letting him walk is no great loss. AS has been proved the running game is way over rated. Yes he does run for a lot of yards but he does so behind that line. He is also one blunder away from being suspended for an entire season. Too much risk and too easy to replace in the Draft. There are several other players in the same boat.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:24 PM, Fl0nkerton said:

Blow it up Madden-style.

Get a king's ransom for Zeke, see what you get for Dak / Amari.

OL and DL / LB will be solid for a while yet

Draft a QB early and add some weapons in the draft / offseason.

Recipe for a pretty quick rebuild.

Kings Ransom for Zeke? He wouldn't fetch that much. Positional value is low and he cant stay out of trouble