Training Camp 2019 News & Updates

TwoUpTwoDown

54 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Just read something today that said Jones and Maddox were flipping between the slot and the outside at the end of last week. Hopefully this isn't any indication against Darby being ready for the regular season.

12:48 p.m. — Sidney Jones takes snaps as the slot cornerback in the nickel package. Jones spent most of last summer in the slot and has been on the outside most of this summer. I’d keep him on the outside and try to maximize his skill set. The coaches have rotated Jones and Avonte Maddox at times this summer, including during this practice. Of course, they like to have different combinations prepared. Rasul Douglas, though, stays on the outside.

Outside of the big names Josh Hawkins is getting a lot of recognition as well for splash plays.

Edited by Hockey5djh

Ostman is done for the year in case anyone was wondering. Shame, it seemed like there was some real potential to get in the rotation this year. 

They signed some 30 year old scrub. I wonder if Howie is looking to deal for a DE now. With the uncertainty of Sweat still, it seems we’re pretty thin. 

19 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Ostman is done for the year in case anyone was wondering. Shame, it seemed like there was some real potential to get in the rotation this year. 

They signed some 30 year old scrub. I wonder if Howie is looking to deal for a DE now. With the uncertainty of Sweat still, it seems we’re pretty thin. 

I think they're going to go into the season with Curry and Sweat as the rotational guys. We'll see how Howie feels about it around the trade deadline. Wouldn't expect anything until then though, after seeing how things pan out.

3 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Greg Ward probably has the inside track on the #5 job if Hollins can't get healthy.

I've been seeing his name pop up as well as Agudosi...6'6 would be nice.  

Notables I haven't seen once thus far

Braxton Miller

Gibson (phantom injury) 

Thompkins

Michel 

Maybe the beat writers writing/tweeting about camp aren't hanging around for the 3rd team guys aside from the QB. 

I think you have to see if Hall and Sweat are able to provide anything in live preseason situations. That's 6 DEs...find another camp body to keep guys them top 4/5 fresh. 

avg 70 snaps 

BG 60

Barnett 45 (until he's fully recovered)

Curry 20 

Sweat 10

Hall 5 

Miller inactive on game days

The more reps Sweat and Hall get this preseason I think they'll show they have enough juice to provide some snaps. 

Without Ostman makes the potential of going heavy inside greater

Fletch, Malik, Timmy were locks

But Hector, Hester and Ridgeway have apparently all looked pretty good

6 DTs seem crazy, but if DTs will be in more on passing downs this year it makes more sense.

Keep Fletcher and Malik fresh so they can kill teams throughout the game and season.

But along with CB, a spot we could be trading a guy from too

3 hours ago, Danger said:
3 hours ago, Danger said:

I think we reached on him big time.

SIncerely,

A Penn State Fan and Alum

I had him graded as a late 5th - mid 6th

Doesn't sound like from what beat reporters have said that he'll be ready to contribute much at all this year.

The early returns on the Thorson pick are looking pretty bad as well. He had his best practice recently but other than that he's been garbage.

Gotta give them at least till next year and hope we can develop them.

Think I'd be okay cutting Thorson and trying to get him on the practice squad though.

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Doesn't sound like from what beat reporters have said that he'll be ready to contribute much at all this year.

The early returns on the Thorson pick are looking pretty bad as well. He had his best practice recently but other than that he's been garbage.

Gotta give them at least till next year and hope we can develop them.

Think I'd be okay cutting Thorson and trying to get him on the practice squad though.

they both seemed like reaches on career depth guys, which isn't a great practice to be in.

Yeah I'd hope they would cut bait with Thorson if he continues to suck

We have too many solid players we are going to have to cut or trade to have him be a waste of space.

But he is a young guy, lets see how he looks in the preseason...he'll be out there with some talent because of our depth.
So it should look at least competent, you'd hope

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

they both seemed like reaches on career depth guys, which isn't a great practice to be in.

Yeah I'd hope they would cut bait with Thorson if he continues to suck

We have too many solid players we are going to have to cut or trade to have him be a waste of space.

But he is a young guy, lets see how he looks in the preseason...he'll be out there with some talent because of our depth.
So it should look at least competent, you'd hope

It's a good thing our high round picks are all looking good thus far.