2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Just now, Forge said:

No. Don't think it has any real bearing right now

It's a solid point by Dominick. I don't know who the candidates to entering the supplemental draft would be, but I would try to get an additional 2021 3rd or 4th rounder just in case. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's a solid point by Dominick. I don't know who the candidates to entering the supplemental draft would be, but I would try to get an additional 2021 3rd or 4th rounder just in case. 

I don't mind getting an extra if the opportunity presents itself, I just wouldn't strategize around it. Too much unknown right now to formulate any sort of plan

• Like 1

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina: Lower-body injuries are always concerning with big men such as Kinlaw (6-foot-5 1/8, 324 pounds), a first-team Associated Press All-American in 2019 who previously had a labrum repaired in one of his hips, as well as a past back injury and two knees that multiple teams have flagged as at risk of arthritis. "Wear and tear" is the term most used following Kinlaw's combine MRIs; no team is known to have failed him on a physical. Several teams -- including a few picking high -- say they have no issue with Kinlaw's medical, making it unlikely a top-20 talent falls out of the first round.

I can't say that I love that talk...and I've said for years that I get super concerned with leg and back injuries on the defensive front. The fact that everyone passed him is a good sign though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Thank god. I'm not sure if we will stick at 13, but if we do, I want at least one more QB off the board before our pick other than Burrow. 

Three will be gone by our pick. 

Question is, who slips between Brown and Simmons? I think one of them ends up falling out of the top 11. 

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mortenson said talking to GMs around the league, they think Ruggs is Shanny's guy but if they want to maximize their mid-round picks, will have to move out from #13. But who trades up to our spot and for what position? 

All options are on the table, really. Depends on how it falls. 

If 2 of the receivers are gone, and one remains, you could absolutely see Denver, Philly, or Minnesota jump up to secure a receiver. 

If the draft falls in such a way that one of the 4 tackles remains there, a team who needs a tackle could definitely jump up to #13 to get ahead of tampa. That could be Miami (assuming that they take Tua first) at 18, Minnesota with one of their first rounders. 

Lets say Derrick Brown goes at 3 but Jax passes on Kinlaw at 9. Well, if Kinlaw makes it to 13, I could see them jump up to grab him for sure. 

If CJ Henderson makes it to 13, Dallas has to be in play to make that jump

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Three will be gone by our pick. 

Question is, who slips between Brown and Simmons? I think one of them ends up falling out of the top 11. 

I definitely don't think Herbert goes. 

Simmons won't get past Carolina in my opinion, and there's talk Detroit could take Brown at 3. 

Just now, Forge said:

I definitely don't think Herbert goes. 

Simmons won't get past Carolina in my opinion, and there's talk Detroit could take Brown at 3. 

Some team will take Herbert, either LAC or someone. If Dolphins go Tua, who are the Chargers taking?

I think Carolina may take either Brown or Simmons. The one they don't take can drop a bit. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Some team will take Herbert, either LAC or someone. If Dolphins go Tua, who are the Chargers taking?

I think Carolina may take either Brown or Simmons. The one they don't take can drop a bit. 

The talk is that the Chargers are going Tackle. Which makes sense. Tyrod is a good bridge quarterback, and honestly, they could easily get back up to take Jordan Love later on down the line in my opinion. Jalen Hurts is also an option. 

4 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

After reading the hundred+ articles on the 49ers draft, I have now read all the reasons we should/shouldn't take WR,OL,CB,DT in the first round. I am now convinced we will take everyone and no one in the first round.

I'm in favour of taking a OT at 13, trading down from 31 (maybe multiple times), and stocking up on WR/CB/DT on day 2. Then focusing on IOL, DE, TE, RB, LB, S, QB depth in day 3/UDFA. 

Depending on who's available, of course.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, StevenK said:

Could this mean we are interested in Henderson or McKinney more than one of the possible receivers?  

A selection in the secondary really depends on how we want to draft this year, which is something I can't answer. I think that the 49ers are happy with the corners we have. Spoon is up and down, but from a top 4 perspective, we could be much worse and plenty of teams are. 

Safety seems very unlikely in the early rounds to me if only because the only way I see a rookie safety playing is injury. Even if we ran out a 3 safety, quarters style look, I have to imagine that third safety is Moore. So a rookie safety gets very little playing time in my opinion. 

Corner is a little different because a truly gifted corner can probably beat out Spoon or Moseley for a spot, though I wouldn't count on it. With all the guys at the end of their contract, drafting a corner makes sense, but this is more of a down the line concept still, even though someone like Henderson could possibly beat out what we have. We have immediate needs. If you asked anyone what needed an upgrade first for the immediate season, corner or wr / 3t / OG, I think that the answer is likely one of the latter three. So if the team is comfortable looking a year down the line even if they don't get an immediate impact from a corner, then it makes all the sense in the world. If they want someone who can contribute immediately to a possible super bowl run this season, I simply don't see corner in the cards. They'd have to feel damn good about that guy winning out a position, or they will have to trade one of the existing corners on the team.