2020 Draft Thread

Forge

50 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm in favour of taking a OT at 13, trading down from 31 (maybe multiple times), and stocking up on WR/CB/DT on day 2. Then focusing on IOL, DE, TE, RB, LB, S, QB depth in day 3/UDFA. 

Depending on who's available, of course.

From everything I have read, I will now go down and say it will be WR or CB at #13 and we will trade back from #31.

The only reason I don't see a OL at #13 is Lynch's comment that they want someone to come in and make an impact right away. Yes, if a top OL falls, he could come in and play Guard and transition to Tackle, that would be considered making an impact. But i think the impact of a WR or CB (Okudah), would be more impactful because I think the Niners like what they are rolling into the season with on the OL.

....and to top it off, I think that WR will be Ruggs, considering the speed to take the top off the defense that Lamb, Juedy cannot. Im not saying I prefer Ruggs, just saying that his skillset seems to fit what I would think Shanny wants.

Thats my final draft statement (until I change it in an hour)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Breer's final mock had us taking Ruggs at 13 and trading out of 31 with the Chargers. 

Ruggs seems to be our guy just listening to the national writers. Granted, I don't know who was available at the time of the pick, but there's a lot of smoke there....And it makes sense as that is one thing this offense is certainly missing. I said over a month ago he could be what Goodwin was for us in 2017 but on steroids and I stick by it. His game matches up well with Jimmy's as he is not scared to go across the middle of the field and his speed will open up a bunch of intermediate throws for Jimmy that he loves to throw. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ruggs seems to be our guy just listening to the national writers. Granted, I don't know who was available at the time of the pick, but there's a lot of smoke there....And it makes sense as that is one thing this offense is certainly missing. I said over a month ago he could be what Goodwin was for us in 2017 but on steroids and I stick by it. His game matches up well with Jimmy's as he is not scared to go across the middle of the field and his speed will open up a bunch of intermediate throws for Jimmy that he loves to throw. 

Half his game maybe. Jimmy still doesn't throw well deep. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Half his game maybe. Jimmy still doesn't throw well deep. 

Not as important as just having a deep threat that opens up areas of the field that Jimmy thrives at. Ruggs also will make a killing on crossers off the bootleg. As for the deep ball? Jimmy simply doesn't throw it enough which is true, but not many deep shots called either. And that obviously goes hand in hand with that not being Jimmy's strength, but I don't see it as a huge weakness either. Threw plenty of nice balls 20+ yards down the field, including in the SB to Kittle.....Then had a terrible miss to Sanders. The pure deep ball is not what I'm all that concerned about. Having a THREAT that can take the top of the defense is what leads to this being a great fit. Goodwin was on a pace to get damn near 1,200 or 1,300 yards in 2017 with Jimmy, and it wasn't because of the deep ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

He probably could have got under that pass in the Super Bowl.

The funny thing is that I think he's really bad about underthrowing balls when he goes deep. Kind of funny in that moment that he overthrew it. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not as important as just having a deep threat that opens up areas of the field that Jimmy thrives at. Ruggs also will make a killing on crossers off the bootleg. As for the deep ball? Jimmy simply doesn't throw it enough which is true, but not many deep shots called either. And that obviously goes hand in hand with that not being Jimmy's strength, but I don't see it as a huge weakness either. Threw plenty of nice balls 20+ yards down the field, including in the SB to Kittle.....Then had a terrible miss to Sanders. The pure deep ball is not what I'm all that concerned about. Having a THREAT that can take the top of the defense is what leads to this being a great fit. Goodwin was on a pace to get damn near 1,200 or 1,300 yards in 2017 with Jimmy, and it wasn't because of the deep ball. 

Yep, the offense was fine last year with him throwing deep less than any other quarterback in football..and when he did (passes over 20 yards), I'm pretty sure he had the lowest depth of target lol. But those 20-25 yard passes are bread and butter territory for him, so I'll take that all day. I'd like to see a few more shots deep (I think we all would), but I don't think it's a make or break situation. 

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

From everything I have read, I will now go down and say it will be WR or CB at #13 and we will trade back from #31.

The only reason I don't see a OL at #13 is Lynch's comment that they want someone to come in and make an impact right away. Yes, if a top OL falls, he could come in and play Guard and transition to Tackle, that would be considered making an impact. But i think the impact of a WR or CB (Okudah), would be more impactful because I think the Niners like what they are rolling into the season with on the OL.

....and to top it off, I think that WR will be Ruggs, considering the speed to take the top off the defense that Lamb, Juedy cannot. Im not saying I prefer Ruggs, just saying that his skillset seems to fit what I would think Shanny wants.

Thats my final draft statement (until I change it in an hour)

I don't know how that would be... the niners were in the bottom 1/3 of time allowed before pressure last season

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I don't know how that would be... the niners were in the bottom 1/3 of time allowed before pressure last season

True, I just think they are happy with the lineup enough to focus on areas that have a greater need at this time. McGlinchey, Staley, Tomlinson, Richburg, and Brunskill (exit Person) is still solid. Could we use an upgrade at Guard or a LT that sits in waiting,? Yes, but how much will they play when they have, in all probability, a shorter time to learn a complex offense.

I think they are happier with their current O-line situation than they are their current WR group. Even in a shortened off-season, a talented rookie WR could step in for certain plays with limited knowledge and be a difference maker.

Edited by P_locniners

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Shanny wants his guy on offense, he gets him. 

Sometimes you get a Kittle, McGlinchey, or Samuel...or you get a Pettis, Beathard, or Joe Williams.....

Hopefully Ruggs is more like Samuel (in terms of being a draft hit). IDK anything about the top 3 receivers to differentiate between who's better

Edited by 49ersfan

57 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Seems like we prioritize tackle (McGlinchey, Staley extension, smoke around drafting a 1st round OT this year) and C (big $ to Richburg) but not so much OG (5th round pick for Tomlinson, Brunskill signed from the AAF, Compton/Person signed similar $3M a year deals) 

It works well, our run blocking/scheme is amazing. But that interior pressure the Chiefs got on us in the SB...

We should be able to find a good G in the mid rounds though. I'm also confident in Brunskill.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

I just want some actual OL talent brought in. Doesn't have to be the 1st round. Having Compton compete for a spot at Guard isn't an improvement over Person. 

WR is deep and for that I am grateful, especially if we trade down or go another route other than WR at 13 (please not CB that high! I really don't think there will be any available at that spot who are worth it! Those that might have been will be gone already.).

Edited by Chrissooner49er