2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers was awful against Arizona.  Making any other claim is simply inaccurate.  He was awful regardless of what the receivers were doing.

Rodgers played like a coward last year. Wouldn't make a risky throw. Wouldn't stand in and take a hit to deliver a ball. 

Dude, you should be ashamed of yourself... I just realized, you don't get it all. Your stuff is worthless. 

For someone anonymously typing behind a keyboard to reference Aaron Rodgers as a coward is simply obscene, and as hypocritical as anything ever typed in this forum.

I wont even get into what it takes to play QB in the NFL, other than it's literally impossible to be a "coward" and play QB in the NFL. What I'll point out is the first game of last year. What Aaron Rodgers did that game my be the bravest thing I've ever seen in sports. Then, dealing with the aftermath of what happened to him in that game was almost as impressive.

Even throwing that games out, there's the 2017 Panther game. It was insane he played that game with that collar bone. That game could even top the first game from last year... Then there was the 2014 playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Dude, you should be ashamed of yourself... I just realized, you don't get it all. Your stuff is worthless. 

For someone anonymously typing behind a keyboard to reference Aaron Rodgers as a coward is simply obscene, and as hypocritical as anything ever typed in this forum.

I wont even get into what it takes to play QB in the NFL, other than it's literally impossible to be a "coward" and play QB in the NFL. What I'll point out is the first game of last year. What Aaron Rodgers did that game my be the bravest thing I've ever seen in sports. Then, dealing with the aftermath of what happened to him in that game was almost as impressive.

Even throwing that games out, there's the 2017 Panther game. It was insane he played that game with that collar bone. That game could even top the first game from last year... Then there was the 2014 playoffs.

I didn't say Rodgers the human being is a coward, I didn't even say Rodgers the football player is a coward. But he played this year extraordinarily risk adverse. He threw the ball away a million times per game. He played afraid to throw a pick, and afraid to get hit. That's chicken **** football.

"The bravest thing you've ever seen in sports?" he was cleared by doctors to play. An indent probably wouldn't even show up on a normal x-ray and his sprain was low grade. Philip Rivers played a playoff game on a torn ACL. God knows Favre probably played through a dozen more significant injuries.

He came back for the Panthers after 7 weeks off, well within the normal expected recovery time for a collarbone injury. Quit lionizing the dude for normal things.

14 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it's really a lack of talent so much. I see two questions with our WR core. First, we are depending on some unproven talent (which is one of the reasons why I'm 100% behind keeping Kumerow on this roster as I think he helps us in 2019). This was especially the case last year when Allison (and Cobb) were gone for significant parts of the year and it was basically Adams plus the rookies for a while. Second, I think our receiving core consists of a true No. 1 and then a large group of players who I'd call true No. 3-4 guys. I've felt the last few years this team was missing a true No. 2 guy to pair with Adams, but MVS probably has the best chance to push that envelope this year given his skill-set. 

Third, you have to hope that a more creative offense is going to help these guys as well versus that "scheme" MM was trying to run. 

You mention relying on unproven talent, but then you're supporting keeping Kumerow and his career 8 career receptions.  He's closer to J'Mon Moore than he is Geronimo Allison.

13 hours ago, SSG said:

We'll agree to disagree.  You can't just close your eyes and heave the ball up to a WR who's not where he's supposed to be (especially in the old offense).  Outside of Adams the WRs were really inconsistent last year.  Also there were plenty of drops.  They couldn't catch a cold against Arizona for example.  

How many good offenses in the league last year needed 20 starts from a 5th round rookie,  a 6th round rookie and a 4 year practice squad player who'd never registered a NFL catch?  You talk like it's a bad QB that is our problem when the reality is there isn't an offense in the NFL that had success featuring that sort of talent at WR.  It's certainly one of the least talented groups of WRs that Mike McCarthy had ever featured.

QBs will throw it out of bounds when your WRs can't get open.  If a WR is incapable of being where he's supposed to be when Rodgers is going through his progressions it doesn't matter how free he his 4, 5 or 6 second into the play.  While he certainly missed some guys the idea that our WRs were running free every route and he decided to throw football games is far too far fetched for me.  I didn't see a QB who was trying to lose like you are describing.  

If a terrible QB is suddenly our problem then our offense has much bigger issues than WR.  I don't see AR12 being the QB for an offense that has the WRs doing what ever they want.  He's not the Jamis Winston type of QB who's just gonna close his eyes and heave the ball down the field not caring about turnovers.  IMO that's exactly the caliber of QB you are describing.  

There isn't anything to disagree about.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-aaron-rodgers-set-to-shatter-throwaway-record

He was on pace to shatter that previous record, and even though I can't find an exact number for how many he finished.  You saw this throughout his games.  If Davante Adams wasn't being thrown to, he was probably the throwing the ball away.  He's incredibly risk-adverse and he's more likely to throw the ball away than trying to squeeze it in tight quarters.  If you can't watch that Arizona game and come away with the conclusion that Aaron Rodgers mailed it in, you're not trying to.

You mention how many offenses haven't had much success with lower drafted players, but let's look at last year.

Kansas City: Tyreek Hill (5th round pick), Sammy Watkins (1st round pick), Chris Conley (3rd round pick)
Los Angeles Rams: Brandin Cooks (1st round pick), Robert Woods (2nd round pick), Cooper Kupp (3rd round pick)
Los Angeles Chargers: Keenan Allen (2nd round pick), Mike Williams (1st round pick), Tyrell Wiliams (UDFA)
New Orleans: Michael Thomas (2nd round pick), Ted Ginn Jr. (1st round pick), Cameron Meredith (UDFA), Tre'Quan Smith (3rd round pick)
New England Patriots: Chris Hogan (UDFA), Philip Dorsett (1st round pick), Coradarelle Patterson (1st round pick)

All of those players who were drafted in the first round with the exception of Mike Williams were drafted by a different team.  And if their talent was as good as you think it was, they wouldn't have let them walk as FAs.  But what do they all have in common?  Exceptional QB play.  You've got Patrick Mahomes, Philip Rivers, Jared Goff, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.  That's some of the best QBs in the NFL last year.  That's the common denominator.  Not the WRs.  If you're argument against our WRs has to do with their draft status, you're not going to hold much weight because there's actual video evidence of Rodgers refusing to throw to young WRs when they were open.  If they weren't being thrown to when they were opening, they sure as hell weren't going to be thrown to when it was a contested throw.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

You mean behind Adams?

Yea. I also think fans overestimate what other teams have. As I've said numerous times, check out the WR corps of the recent Super Bowl teams. 

This goes back to the draft and the overwhelming need some fans had to draft a WR in the First Round as if there is room for two 100 catch guys

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

.....Exceptional QB play.  You've got Patrick Mahomes, Philip Rivers, Jared Goff, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.  That's some of the best QBs in the NFL last year.  That's the common denominator.  Not the WRs.  If you're argument against our WRs has to do with their draft status, you're not going to hold much weight because there's actual video evidence of Rodgers refusing to throw to young WRs when they were open.  .....

Going forward, if Rodgers is a bad QB who doesn't see or won't throw to open receivers, then the Packers aren't going to go far.  Excellent QB play is the common denominator for good offenses, and good offense is the norm for successful teams. 

Whatever else happens with the team, *if* Rodgers is bad, then things won't go great.  

Time will tell.  I'm hopeful that it will be a good story and that Rodgers will play at a much higher level, and throw with much better accuracy.  

I think this applies to multiple conversations going on now.

Last year 12 was hesitant to pull the trigger because he wasn't sure where his rookie receivers were going to be.  The rookie receivers had to think way too much about what was in front of them to actually play to their potential.

So, if my theory is correct, by midseason 12 will be back to himself and get the ball out of his hand.  1st read, 2nd read, dump off to Aaron Jones.  

And our receiving core is going to look like the Rams because they have the athletic ability and wont have to overthink their routes.  They will play fast and to their potential.

And Jake Kumerow will catch 6 TD's.

• Like 4

So sick of this, "We had crap receivers..." argument. 

Do people not remember the **** throws Rodgers had to MVS only to **** MVS out?  The Seattle game?  Missing him wide open literally 5 times?  The times he threw out of bounds 17 times when a receiver was open instead of hitting them in stride?

Rodgers had a crap season last year.  It was middle of the league at best.  MVS still had a top 30 season all-time for a rookie WR drafted after the 4th round. 

MVS literally ranks 172nd since the merger in receptions for a rookie receiver. 

172nd.  Since 1970. 

People need to quit acting like Rodgers had to rely on a rookie WR.  MVS was not like rookie receivers. 

MVS, since 1970, ranks 172nd in rookie receptions out of 2060 receivers. 
MVS, since 1970, ranks 154th in rookie yards out of 2060 receivers.

Rodgers did not "have to rely" on rookie receivers.  He had an elite rookie receiver since 1970 and he frequently missed him.  Wide open. 

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You talk big for not being the guy out there hurt man. That's not me, I'm going to give the hurt guys the benefit of the doubt for gritting it out. I'm sure that injury was immensely painful to play on for the first few weeks. You can call that "dramatic" all you want.

Except if you are Martellus Bennett;)

• Like 1