Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We got a Ring of Honor QB as an undrafted free agent, then immediately transitioned to a 4th rounder who is about to have 4 winning records in 4 seasons. 

The fan based who went through Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testeverde, Drew Henson, and Drew Bledsoe has become spoiled at QB.

We all talk about the dark ages like they lasted forever, and rattle off a list of bum QBs like each one represents a lost year. Like we actually went 15 years or something without a win.

Truth is though, Most of those guys got a couple of starts each in 2001-2002.

That's it.

2000- Troy Aikmans last year

Beginning of Dark Ages:

2001 - Quincy Carter (8) / Anthony Wright (3) / Ryan Leaf (3) / Clint Stoerner (2)

2002 - Chad Hutchinson (9) / Quincy Carter (7)

End of Dark Ages:

2003 - Quincy Carter (16) 10-6 and made the Playoffs 

Return of Dark Ages:

2004 - Vinny Testaverde (15) / Drew Henson (1)

End of Dark Ages again:

2005 - Drew Bledsoe (16) (13th ranked offense, and started 7-3 before collapsing to 9-7)

2006 - beginning of Tony Romo (made the playoffs)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We got a Ring of Honor QB as an undrafted free agent, then immediately transitioned to a 4th rounder who is about to have 4 winning records in 4 seasons. 

The fan based who went through Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testeverde, Drew Henson, and Drew Bledsoe has become spoiled at QB.

Can you stop using such a logic on this illogical Forum please

Just now, DaBoys said:

We all talk about the dark ages like they lasted forever, and rattle off a list of bum QBs like each one represents a lost year. Like we actually went 15 years or something without a win.

Truth is though, Most of those guys got a couple of starts each in 2001-2002.

That's it.

You ever have a life threatening moment where your whole life flashes before your eyes? Thats the dark ages. 

PS - it didnt end until ~2005/2006 really.

4 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Ya know, I've been thinking about this. The NFL should really do something about the salary cap situation to allow teams to extend the players that they drafted so they have them on their rosters longer. I propose this:

The team that drafts a player should be allowed to sign that player to whatever amount they want. Only a percentage will count against the cap.

Reason- They took a chance on that player. The player may have come in raw or with a troubled past or a serious injury. The team that drafted him rolled the dice, spent time and resources developing said player and now he's a proven, worthwhile commodity in the league. So now said player commands a certain amount of money and if the team cannot afford him, another team scoops up the guy that the first team did all the work on??? Not fair.

Free agency should be the ONLY place where a player counts 100% against the cap. Think about it, some teams reshuffle the deck every year with other teams over priced, proven, developed players. Hell some teams give up high draft picks for these players because they KNOW they can be effective. They are NFL proven and ready. That is how they stay in contention every year.

This would help keep the concept of "team" in tact rather than a group of hired-guns or mercenaries who are on 1 year contracts so that they can go to a franchise that has the best chance to win a title. 

It would also make teams more competitive because, if the coaching staff is worth a damn, they have more time to invest into a player and don't have to worry about losing said player to FA.

Thoughts?

I also mentioned something along those lines not quite as much as you just did though but I do like that idea

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

You ever have a life threatening moment where your whole life flashes before your eyes? Thats the dark ages. 

PS - it didnt end until ~2005/2006 really.

Right but we made the playoffs in 2003. 

Started 7-3 in 2005, and made the playoffs in 2006.

So the the Dark ages were 2001, 2002, and 2004. 3 really bad years, that Cowboys fans call the dark ages. 

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Right but we made the playoffs in 2003. 

Started 7-3 in 2005, and made the playoffs in 2006.

So the the Dark ages were 2001, 2002, and 2004. 3 really bad years, that Cowboys fans call the dark ages. 

But even with Vinny and Q starting, it was dark because we had no hope and our QB did more coke than a Miami hooker on a Saturday night.

42 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

So is the argument that we should let Dak walk, because even if it sends us into the dark ages, that’ll only last like 6 years so nbd.

??

Not sure how you gathered that. My argument was that "The Dark ages," were only 3 bad non- consecutive years. The fact that we went to the playoffs once during that time and still call it the dark ages is what seems spoiled to me.

Where are you reading that we should let Dak walk? Most us "haters" wanted to tag him (maybe twice) when he was doing Linehan things. Now that Moore has brought our offense into the modern world, I think we are all mostly on board with keeping him at market rate. Assuming he doesn't immediately regress.

• Like 2

Got in a debate with jrry. Ended up pulling every game, including playoffs, between Dak/Goff from 2018-2019. Goff has 20 games, Dak 19:

Over the course of both seasons every game:

DAK: 423/623 - 68%, 4782 (+349 Rush), 28 tds (+8 Rush TD), 9 INTs, 100 QB Rating

GOFF: 446/706 - 63%, 5586 (+130 Rush), 34 TDs (+2 Rush TD), 15 INTs, 94 QB rating

^^ Even with our pre-cooper trash WRs. 

On 9/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, Calvert28 said:

24 years and counting. We're still in the dark ages as far I'm concerned. 

Thank you. Not being able to remember seeing the Cowboys in an NFC Championship Game is what I consider the Dark Ages 

Edited by Tony7188

Just now, Tony7188 said:

Thank you. Not being able to remember seeing the Cowboys in an NFC Championship Game is what I consider the Dark Ages 

I mean...being in the playoffs fairly consistently is nice after those early 2000s, but a trip to the NFC Championship Game or winning a few Super Bowls would be nice.