Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

ClutchDJ

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You may want everyone to sound like a boy scout and give every interview like "oh boy I'm just happy to be here" or do JJ Watts ****ty Captain America impression, but Baker's comments are entertaining. Maybe not to you, but to people.

And no, answering a question honestly is not pathetic.

I didnt say anything about him sounding like a boy scout. I have issues with 2 things. Him talking about Duke Johnsons money and this.

I dont see any issues with anything else he has done. He is allowed to have an ego. He is completely different from someone like Manziel who had an ego and was just plain stupid. He is a smart kid with good talent but likes to talk cuz of his ego and that's okay. But at the same time, you can go too far and for me, this does.

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If I read it correctly, he wasn't asked a question. He said this unprompted because he saw it on TV.

That doesn't change what I'm getting at. People are losing their mind over Baker giving his honest opinion. Not even because they disagree with it (there's some of that, to be fair), but because they think he shouldn't be giving it. And that makes no sense. Why are we acting like we want an athlete-media culture where we get these nothing robot 'oh i'm just happy to be here' answers.

His actual take, which is using college wins as a draftable stat, is dumb as hell. But I love that he actually said something honest.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That doesn't change what I'm getting at. People are losing their mind over Baker giving his honest opinion. Not even because they disagree with it (there's some of that, to be fair), but because they think he shouldn't be giving it. And that makes no sense. Why are we acting like we want an athlete-media culture where we get these nothing robot 'oh i'm just happy to be here' answers.

His actual take, which is using college wins as a draftable stat, is dumb as hell. But I love that he actually said something honest.

You can be honest and still choose your words better than this, though. 

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’d be 100% cool with it if it was a division rival. However, Jones isn’t even in the same conference as us. Somebody else mentioned it, but go after Lamar.

Not just that, another quarterback.

I'm all for Richard Sherman talking trash about Tom Brady, Jalen Ramsey talking trash about Josh Allen, etc. Because they're actually competitors. But Baker Mayfield and Daniel Jones don't compete with one another at any level. Mayfield has no way to put his money where his mouth is, and Jones has no way to get back at him. It's bush league. 

Hell, the Giants don't even play the Browns. Not only is he talking sh*t about a guy he never has to answer to, he's talking sh*t about a guy whose TEAM he never has to answer to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I didnt say anything about him sounding like a boy scout. I have issues with 2 things. Him talking about Duke Johnsons money and this.

I dont see any issues with anything else he has done. He is allowed to have an ego. He is completely different from someone like Manziel who had an ego and was just plain stupid. He is a smart kid with good talent but likes to talk cuz of his ego and that's okay. But at the same time, you can go too far and for me, this does.

What that he couldn't believe that the Giants drafted a guy at 6 who the entire world, including literally every single poster on this forum, thought was a huge reach at 6? 

Maybe that's unusual for the robo-answers we just expect every QB to spout out over and over again because the NFL media culture is about as interesting as a boiled ham, but that's not controversial at all in the real world.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You can be honest and still choose your words better than this, though. 

Maybe. At some point, if people are answering honestly, word choice isn't going to be perfect. I'd rather have a real stream of consciousness type answer that represents what someone is actually thinking than some PR'd running for office "I sincerely regret my actions" type statement.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why does it have to be one or the other?  

Nobody is saying they want all players to fall in line and follow the status quo.  I'd much rather have Newton and Mayfield types than Wilson types in the league.

We're just saying in this instance, it was a dumb thing to say.  Talking down about a player in another conference for no reason is dumb.  It isn't the worst thing in the world and I don't see people losing their minds, we're just acknowledging it was a stupid comment.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Maybe. At some point, if people are answering honestly, word choice isn't going to be perfect. I'd rather have a real stream of consciousness type answer that represents what someone is actually thinking than some PR'd running for office "I sincerely regret my actions" type statement.

These are the comments that lead to PR "I sincerely regret my actions" statements though. 

• Like 1

Obviously Baker has not watched the Giants preseason games, Daniel Jones looks more than solid.  And really who cares, flip Lawrence with Jones in terms of where they were picked and no one has a problem with it.

26 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Why does it have to be one or the other?  

Nobody is saying they want all players to fall in line and follow the status quo.  I'd much rather have Newton and Mayfield types than Wilson types in the league.

We're just saying in this instance, it was a dumb thing to say.  Talking down about a player in another conference for no reason is dumb.  It isn't the worst thing in the world and I don't see people losing their minds, we're just acknowledging it was a stupid comment.  

It shouldn't have to be one or the other, but it is.

There are plenty of comments that are saying, in general, NFL players shouldn't ever talk about other teams. There are plenty more echoing the "do your job" Patriots rhetoric. And pretty much any time a player says absolutely anything that doesn't follow the script, and that includes guys like Cam Newton, people freak out.

Athletes follow those stupid non answer scripts because the rest of the viewing audiences punishes anyone who doesn't. 

And as far as this being exceptionally out of line, he said that he didn't understand a draft pick that no one else understood at the time it was made. He could have said Jones will bust, or this was a joke, or a thousand other more inflammatory things, but we're treating this as controversial as Kyrie Irving saying he thinks the earth is flat. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99