Chiefs @ Packers "The Camp Body Bowl"

Leader

Dexter Williams is a hell of good runner. 

Deshon Kizer (shows more upside with mobility)

Chandon Sullivan (was given safety, nickel and dime tonight. I don’t know what his assignments were, but he didn’t give up any plays really. If he can handle all of the complexity of the defense plus he made plays all preseason, pretty sure he made the squad)

Pretty sure Lazard has done enough to make the team. He plays on all special teams, he blocks, he’s big and has upside. At least till EQ gets back anyway 

Keke flashes every time he gets a chance. 

Hollman physical, fast and competitive. Lacks ball skills and ball awareness but good in every other way. Definitely a serviceable cover guy. Hoping King is back soon tho. 

8 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

I'm gonna miss the preseason, but it's on to the good stuff.

It’s interesting to root as unfamiliar numbers and names play the game.

The strike year was awesome. This whole unfamiliar team dropped from the sky and started playing as the Green Bay Packers. Green Bay had a better strike team than most others. We were sad to see the old team come back at the end. 

37 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I thought it was kind if stupid, personally, until it was explained to me that the rule evens the match between teams that have a lot of injuries and teams that have none or few. Think of it as a playing roster of 46 for everybody with 7 injured/uninjured players in reserve. 

That makes sense and I figured it was something like that. I guess it just sucks when healthy guys don't even have a chance to play. 

6 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

The story actually begins in 1946 with the All-American Football Conference. The Cleveland Browns to be exact. Paul Brown kept a group of players that were not on his roster, and they were employed by the Taxi Cab company owned by the team's owner, Arthur "Mickey" McBride. Those players became known as the "Taxi Squad".

The practice was officially recognized and sanctioned by the NFL in 1965. By 1968, it was limited to just seven players(out of fairness, I presume). Those inactive spots were molded into a larger active roster in the late 70's. The Practice Squad was revived in 1993.

He means the 7 have day inactives, not the PS

8 hours ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

How in this world does Sternberger earn any meaningful snaps? He’s not strong enough and Bob Tonyan spoon feeds him protein powder right now. 

I don't expect Sternberger to get many opportunities this year. He'll be on the 53 but mostly inactive on game day, I think. Next year is another thing entirely.

What did we learn from this game? Not much. I learned this morning that just before the game, Matt LaFleur said that Lane Taylor won the starting job at left guard. Just when I was thinking Jenkins was going to get it. I like this arrangement best anyway, with Jenkins as a backup who can take over for Taylor next year. 

I think the fact that Tim Boyle played first again means that Boyle had already won the starting QB job. Neither he nor Kizer had a chance to do much. Kizer made more good plays than Boyle, I thought, but he also threw an interception. J'Mon Moore slowed down on his route just as Kizer threw the ball, but the throw still looked too high to me, which is a Kizer trademark. Manny Wilkins had a nice scramble and hurdled a tackler. You don't see QBs do that often. He looks like a good practice squad candidate. I think the big question at QB right now is whether Kizer is kept on the roster as the #3 QB or is cut. 

Darius Sheppard didn't do much on offense (one catch for 3 yards) and fumbled away a kickoff return. I've been wondering if he is really a good option for backup kick returner anyway, or if he is just another guy they would throw in there if Trevor Davis gets hurt again. Allen Lazard had a better night, because he was hurt and didn't play. J'Mon Moore caught one pass for a 7 yard gain. It was an easy catch. Teo Redding, oddly enough, was targeted several times by Kizer and had 4 catches for 49 yards. Could he make the practice squad? Probably not. 

Chandon Sullivan played safety instead of cornerback, and he seemed to do okay, so maybe they will squeeze him onto the roster as a hybrid. 

I was hoping we would see something from Randy Ramsey, who has a chance to make the roster, especially now that Reggie Gilbert is gone. He had a quiet night. Four tackles, but no plays that stood out. Markus Jones, on the other hand, had the best night of anyone, hitting the QB to force an interception that Ty Summers returned for a TD, and then recovering a fumble later.

Kingsley Keke looked good again, snuffing out the Chiefs' first  drive with a sack and knocking down a pass later. I liked the shot of his face on TV,  just before a play. He looked so focused and intense. 

Tra Carson actually looked good on his first run of the game. He got around the edge for 12 yards or so. I didn't see much from him after that. Dexter Williams had a nice run after the catch on a screen pass. I would still go with Williams over Carson, although Carson is the safer pick in the short run because he is more assignment-sure. 

Mason Crosby missed one of his two PATs, wide left, while Sam Ficken made both of his. I still think Crosby will keep his job, but it's close. 

Other thoughts? I'm sure I missed plenty. 

7 hours ago, boratt said:

Dexter Williams is a hell of good runner. 

Deshon Kizer (shows more upside with mobility)

Chandon Sullivan (was given safety, nickel and dime tonight. I don’t know what his assignments were, but he didn’t give up any plays really. If he can handle all of the complexity of the defense plus he made plays all preseason, pretty sure he made the squad)

Pretty sure Lazard has done enough to make the team. He plays on all special teams, he blocks, he’s big and has upside. At least till EQ gets back anyway 

Keke flashes every time he gets a chance. 

Hollman physical, fast and competitive. Lacks ball skills and ball awareness but good in every other way. Definitely a serviceable cover guy. Hoping King is back soon tho. 

Did you watch Boyles feet. He was more sound and a similar foot plant as Favre which prevents injury. Running QBs are more likely to get injured.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

JMon says he got the short end of the stick. 

This is laughable.

I think it is quite telling that our 2nd/3rd string QB's wont even look his way.  2 targets and he played the whole game, no?

****, 88 showed more tonight, and he's like our tenth WR.

Archived