College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

This has been one of the most irritating seasons in all my born days. Can’t lie for once since ‘99 I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching college football. Why?  Because I didn’t need to watch it for potential Browns prospects. Hoooo boy, wrong again. Now I’m shooting blanks when it comes to giving any incite on these guys. 

Stoopid Browns. You gave me nothing. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the college season, you still managed to take something away. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

I barely watch college football anymore (mainly OSU-Michigan and a handful of other games throughout the season) so bear with me. Is Jedrick Wills a RT in the NFL? A LT? Or can he do both? He blocked on Tua's blindside, but he was on the right side of the line.

Probably a RT in the NFL. He lumbers a bit. He isn't bad in pass protection by any stretch, but facing speed rushers might prove to be a challenge to him in the NFL. People aren't typically that big and strong in the run game and don't sacrifice a little bit of foot speed for mirroring edge rushers.

6 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Is Austin Jackson from USC in our sights now with a top 12 pick?  Is he the 2nd best Tackle behind Thomas from Georgia?

I'm looking at him (Jackson), Epenesa, and Simmons from Clemson as candidates for our pick.

Spending our pick on a Safety would be the absolute worst thing and use of pick given where our OLine and DLine are. Simmons and Delpit are the true fools gold in this draft and aren't even on the level of Darnell Savage last year who went in the first.

IMO, we either have to spend our primary picks on getting either 1 of the top 7 Tackles, AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa, --OR-- one of top OGs (Netane Muti, Tristan Wirfs, Shane Lemieux). All other positions be they safety or wide-receiver should be further down our priorities list.

Austin Jackson's a good one. I think he falls anywhere from the 4th to 7th best Tackle in the draft.

The Top 10 Tackles:

1.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

2.) Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama

Drop-Off in Quality

3.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

4.) (Better at Guard)  Netane Muti, OG/OT-Swing Fresno State (#4 LT; #2 OG)

5.) (Light-years better at Guard) Tristan Wirfs, OG-Phenom/OT, Iowa (#5 OT; #1 OG)

6.) Austin Jackson, LT USC

7.) Prince Tega Wanogho, LT Auburn

8.) Alex Leatherwood, LT Alabama

Drop-Off in Quality

9.) Josh Jones, RT Houston

10.) Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech

Edited by Mind Character

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Mind Character who is the Steve Heiden ( 💕) TE/s in this class?

The giant, strong run blocker who can find a hole in a zone and has solid hands.

We need one of those.

Not mindcharacter, but there are several second tier guys that are not A+ blockers right now but could develop into the type of TE the browns need. 

Mitch Wilcox - SFU

Adam Trautman - Dayton

These guys are probably both day 3 guys. My favorite TEs that are a tier above those guys are Brycen Hopkins and Pinkney from Vanderbilt. Pinkney can block. Hopkins needs some work.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Mind Character who is the Steve Heiden ( 💕) TE/s in this class?

The giant, strong run blocker who can find a hole in a zone and has solid hands.

We need one of those.

I probably won't get into the TEs until early next month so unfortunately I don't have a clue as I've only watched 1 or 2games here or there of the big buzz names except for Albert O, Jared Pinkney, and Adam Trautman. Trautman's my guy for now.

You're absolutely right in that we have to find that core TE piece. The only problem is given our holes on OLine and at DE or other positions, I'm not sure we could justify spending our 1st to 3rd round picks on a TE. Now, are there TEs that can get the job done in the 4th and beyond? History says probably so, but I just don't know if that's true about this class yet. I hope it is.

The only thing I do know is that Jared Pinkney isn't the amazing or great player that the draftniks claim him to be and is more likely a late 2nd, early 3rd round talent which means he's a solid/good player.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Not mindcharacter, but there are several second tier guys that are not A+ blockers right now but could develop into the type of TE the browns need. 

Mitch Wilcox - SFU

Adam Trautman - Dayton

These guys are probably both day 3 guys. My favorite TEs that are a tier above those guys are Brycen Hopkins and Pinkney from Vanderbilt. Pinkney can block. Hopkins needs some work.

Good stuff, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I probably won't get into the TEs until early next month so unfortunately I don't have a clue as I've only watched 1 or 2games here or there of the big buzz names except for Albert O, Jared Pinkney, and Adam Trautman. Trautman's my guy for now.

You're absolutely right in that we have to find that core TE piece. The only problem is given our holes on OLine and at DE or other positions, I'm not sure we could justify spending our 1st to 3rd round picks on a TE. Now, are there TEs that can get the job done in the 4th and beyond? History says probably so, but I just don't know if that's true about this class yet. I hope it is.

The only thing I do know is that Jared Pinkney isn't the amazing or great player that the draftniks claim him to be and is more likely a late 2nd, early 3rd round talent which means he's a solid/good player.

Yeah I’m talking day 3, 4thish round.

Someone who can line up and maul some OL and get movement in the run game.  They don’t need to be great in the pass game, just able to catch passes that hit them in the hands.

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Probably a RT in the NFL. He lumbers a bit. He isn't bad in pass protection by any stretch, but facing speed rushers might prove to be a challenge to him in the NFL. People aren't typically that big and strong in the run game and don't sacrifice a little bit of foot speed for mirroring edge rushers.

Sounds like you described Wirfs too.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He lumbers a bit.

It's interesting where opinions and evaluations of Wills are at this point in the process. A lot differing evaluations a lot of places and I'd bet that disagreement will go up until the draft for many.  We see Wills completely different as I think he has some of the best, fluid, smooth, and quick feet of anyone in the draft. Most times there are a thing of beauty.

Now, I do agree that he might lumber a little bit when he has to get to the second level or in space moving down the line, but really he's fine there as well.

He lacks some power, but he has everything athletically and feet-wise to play Left Tackle.

The best feet in the draft are Netane Muti then it's probably Wills, Wirfs, and Jackson in some order.

Edited by Mind Character

58 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It's interesting where opinions and evaluations of Wills are at this point in the process. A lot differing evaluations a lot of places and I'd bet that disagreement will go up until the draft for many.  We see Wills completely different as I think he has some of the best, fluid, smooth, and quick feet of anyone in the draft. Most times there are a thing of beauty.

Now, I do agree that he might lumber a little bit when he has to get to the second level or in space moving down the line, but really he's fine there as well.

He lacks some power, but he has everything athletically and feet-wise to play Left Tackle.

The best feet in the draft are Netane Muti then it's probably Wills, Wirfs, and Jackson in some order.

here is what matt miller has to say about Wills.

For months, the top of the offensive tackle rankings have featured a mix of Andrew Thomas (Georgia) and Tristan Wirfs (Iowa), but a closer look at Alabama right tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. has him shooting up my board. With Thomas already declared and Wirfs' decision expected any day now, Wills is the junior offensive lineman with the most intrigue left on the undecided list.

The needs at offensive tackle will be huge in Round 1. The New York Jets, New York Giants, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars could all easily select a left tackle in the top 10 picks alone, and that creates a big need for viable starting tackles.

Wills—a massive tackle (6'5", 320 lbs) with the rare movement skills in the college game to handle speed-rushers and get upfield in the run game—might not have the name recognition of Thomas or Wirfs, but his tape is superior. If you're banking on a pro-ready offensive tackle in this class, you're waiting to hear about Wills' declaration.

• Like 1