College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Disagree.

If by steady you mean the head and shoulders above the rest best with a clear All-Pro by year 2 trajectory, then yeah "he's steady."

His athleticism is overrated. And I don’t see this mean run blocker like other people do. He has elite footwork and can anchor with ease in pass pro. But I think Thomas is the top guy. He’s just as talented in pass pro plus a mean run blocker. Becton is the superfreak. Upside to the moon. Wirfs is the best scheme fit. 

So no, I don’t see the urgency to land Wills, TBH. 

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If all the tackles are gone it will give us a prime position to trade down, someone will want, ceedee or okuda, simmons, or whatever qb remains. 

If 3 tackles go, 2 qbs, chase, then someone decent will be left over. We need 2020 picks, and more this year. 

The browns don’t need 2021 picks this draft, we need legit all pro caliber potential players. I’m not passing up on the chance of Okuda or Simmons.

• Like 1

IMO Wills will be a fine OT, and I'm very high on the "Big Three" in Wirfs, Thomas, and Wills (in that order).

Wirfs IMO is the total package and most versatile.

Thomas is the strongest and arguably packs the biggest punch with amazing upside and youth combined with experience.

Wills is the "safest" and has the smallest ceiling of the three. He's not nearly as athletic as the other two, but his footwork and hand usage is clearly the most polished, and he's an instant Day 1 above average starter in the NFL. He may never be an All Pro, but he's going to be solid for a long time. I'd be great getting him, but I'm not trading up for him unless the other two are already off of the board.

The one that I'm the most scared of is Becton. That weight scares me against edge rushers, and I will not be convinced otherwise unless I see it myself in 1-1 situations, and I don't care what his 40 time was.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The one that I'm the most scared of is Becton. That weight scares me against edge rushers, and I will not be convinced otherwise unless I see it myself in 1-1 situations, and I don't care what his 40 time was.

He has shown the ability to easily mirror speed rushers though. It's a small sample size, but it's not like he's getting roasted by speed rushers when they ask him to take traditional pass sets. He's a good pass blocker. The weight would only be a long-term injury concern for me. It's hard carrying around that much mass on your bones and joints.

I'm not sure he has a lot of weight to lose though. He's not a tub of goo.

People are acting like Becton is shredded or something.  Dude isn’t Danny Shelton, but he’s not exactly trim either.

Joe Thomas is an inch shorter and played at an all time elite level at 60 pounds lighter, so it’s not like you need to carry all that weight to be effective.

Joe Thomas also wasn’t some bloated turd when he was 300+, but he was able to drop 50+ pounds of fat almost immediately.

Im not sure what Marvel universe some of y’all are living in, but there aren’t 360 pound rocked up natty dudes who can’t stand to lose 30-40 pounds.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He has shown the ability to easily mirror speed rushers though. It's a small sample size,

That's more or less my point/concern, and the talent that he's faced/hasn't faced on the edge is a major question mark for me.

but it's not like he's getting roasted by speed rushers when they ask him to take traditional pass sets. He's a good pass blocker. The weight would only be a long-term injury concern for me. It's hard carrying around that much mass on your bones and joints.

I think that he's a poor man's Mount McKinney, minus the Sam Smoot boat.

I'm not sure he has a lot of weight to lose though. He's not a tub of goo.

I'm not saying that he does either, but with that high cut build at almost 6'9 and 365, that's a major knee/nagging ankle injuries waiting to happen IMO.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I think he's better than McKinney. He's a much smoother athlete at that size.

McKinney was a lot more proven against the competition that he faced coming out of college than Becton though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It was FRED Smoot.

You guys just don’t know how to party ...

I used to always use the Redskins in Madden when Smoot was over there. And anytime he made a play, I would mimic "Drop It Like It's Hot" and go:
"Boom...ba boom...ba boom...ba boom....SSSSSMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'm burning our second 3rd round pick for the ability to trade up and take Jedrick Wills Jr.

We may hit on a player in the 3rd round or we may trade it for future draft capital, but at this point it's far more important to get a foundational Tackle rather than staying put so we can keep a later 3rd round pick.

Giving up a 3rd round pick to get the clear best Tackle in the draft is a no brainer.

What about using the second 3rd to take Trent Williams and use our first third and a 2021 2nd to move up for Chase Young, hell, if we are trading up might as well do it for someone worthwhile

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What about using the second 3rd to take Trent Williams and use our first third and a 2021 2nd to move up for Chase Young, hell, if we are trading up might as well do it for someone worthwhile

Shiiiiiitttttttttt.....

... a 3rd rounder to go from 10 to number 2 for Chase Young? I'd trade both 3rds to do so, but it likely would take a future 1st or 2, 2nds to make such a move that would push Washington down so many spots.

Let's say Washington wants a 2nd round pick this year, a 3rd round pick this year, and a 2nd round pick next year do you make the trade?

49 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Shiiiiiitttttttttt.....

... a 3rd rounder to go from 10 to number 2 for Chase Young? I'd trade both 3rds to do so, but it likely would take a future 1st or 2, 2nds to make such a move that would push Washington down so many spots.

Let's say Washington wants a 2nd round pick this year, a 3rd round pick this year, and a 2nd round pick next year do you make the trade?

Fasho

• Like 2