College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Just now, bruceb said:

Sorry, should have said eventually.

That only look a year though 

you got Conklin for 3 years at least. And he’s paid we’re not going to cut him

so you’ve got the number 10 pick playing RG for 3 years at least

i don’t think that’s the best way we can use the number 10 pick 

This is (thankfully) not an idea that has gained a lot of traction. However, I’ve read people suggesting that the Browns need to focus on drafting to stop Lamar Jackson. That is the definition of short sighted and stupid. 

Lamar is going to be out of football in 7 years when he’s broken in half and still can’t throw a football.

The Seahawks didn’t draft to stop Colin Kaepernick and they went to back-to-back Super Bowls.

Edited by candyman93

33 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Read “somewhere” it’s 

1. Thomas 

2. Wirfs

Trade down

3. Josh Jones

4. Ezra Cleveland

in the first round. Read between the lines for the ranking.

Many Teams Grade Ezra Cleveland on Day 3

Updated March 17, 2020
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

One of the workout warriors from the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine was Boise State offensive tackle Ezra Cleveland. He had an excellent workout in Indianapolis, putting up a blazing fast 40-yard dash time of 4.93 seconds. That caused many in the media to elevate their projection of where Cleveland will go in the 2020 NFL Draft, and some have had him going in the first round. While Cleveland could go in the early rounds, many teams across the league grade him much later. In surveying six different teams, none of them had Cleveland graded as a first- or second-round pick. The teams were split, with three grading him in the fifth round and three grading him in the fourth round.

"I think someone in the league will overdraft him in the second or third round because of the speed, but he has no power," said an area scout who covers Boise State. "I wouldn't take him there. He's a fifth-round pick, at best, for me."

Cleveland plays a premium position and having his shocking speed could cause a team to fall in love. All six sources said that while their teams graded Cleveland on Day 3, they thought the team that liked him enough to draft him could do so earlier.

"Ezra, we have in the fourth round," said one director of college scouting. "But I could see a team taking him late in the third [round] after he ran well at the combine. Even though he's fast, he's not a unique moving athlete."

If Cleveland does slide into the fourth or fifth round, many teams around the league will view that as where he belongs. They will also think that it would be a reach for him to go on Day 2, but that's where they expect another team to pull the trigger and draft Cleveland.

10 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

Updated March 17, 2020

One of the workout warriors from the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine was Boise State offensive tackle Ezra Cleveland. He had an excellent workout in Indianapolis, putting up a blazing fast 40-yard dash time of 4.93 seconds. That caused many in the media to elevate their projection of where Cleveland will go in the 2020 NFL Draft, and some have had him going in the first round. While Cleveland could go in the early rounds, many teams across the league grade him much later. In surveying six different teams, none of them had Cleveland graded as a first- or second-round pick. The teams were split, with three grading him in the fifth round and three grading him in the fourth round.

"I think someone in the league will overdraft him in the second or third round because of the speed, but he has no power," said an area scout who covers Boise State. "I wouldn't take him there. He's a fifth-round pick, at best, for me."

Cleveland plays a premium position and having his shocking speed could cause a team to fall in love. All six sources said that while their teams graded Cleveland on Day 3, they thought the team that liked him enough to draft him could do so earlier.

"Ezra, we have in the fourth round," said one director of college scouting. "But I could see a team taking him late in the third [round] after he ran well at the combine. Even though he's fast, he's not a unique moving athlete."

If Cleveland does slide into the fourth or fifth round, many teams around the league will view that as where he belongs. They will also think that it would be a reach for him to go on Day 2, but that's where they expect another team to pull the trigger and draft Cleveland.

I don’t disagree. I hate the thought of him being their pick at tackle. I don’t think theirs any way they take him in the first if they do pick him. Kind of like a last resort.

https://www.brownsnation.com/tracking-the-cleveland-browns-2020-draft-interests-updated-list/

Some well known names on this list as well as some names that I've never heard of.  

TCU defensive tackle Ross Blacklock told NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport on the reporter’s podcast he had a pre-draft visit scheduled with the Browns for April 6.

Wyoming LB Logan Wilson (6’2 1/8, 236) was the headliner at today’s pro day. An underrated prospect, there were 22 teams in attendance, including the #Browns, #Giants, #Panthers, and #Chargers among many others.

Doug Costin Miami Ohio, who was graded as a priority free agent by scouts before the 2019 season, is a three-technique who measured 6-2 1/2 inches and 291 pounds. He completed 24 reps on the bench and timed 5.20 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 4.51 seconds in the short shuttle, and 7.30 seconds in the three-cone.

The Los Angeles Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers all spent time with Costin.

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I used to be obsessed with the NFL draft and now I know nothing

It’s because a lot of these guys are all similar and put up the same stats / measurements.

There’s no point in trying to know and analyze all of these guys because a lot of them will end up being out of the league.

Just watch college games and look at a guy that stands out. Chase Young and Joe Burrow are the 2 “holy ****” prospects, but everybody else looks like prospects from (insert draft class).

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This is (thankfully) not an idea that has gained a lot of traction. However, I’ve read people suggesting that the Browns need to focus on drafting to stop Lamar Jackson. That is the definition of short sighted and stupid. 

Lamar is going to be out of football in 7 years when he’s broken in half and still can’t throw a football.

The Seahawks didn’t draft to stop Colin Kaepernick and they went to back-to-back Super Bowls.

There’s a lot of truth to this. I’m still not afraid of Lamar. He’s an above average runner, very average passer. Defenses will catch up. Defenses needs to learn when he runs he’s a running back, you can hit the crap out of him. Uhh well hit the mfer. I’m of the mindset to draft so people have to keep up with us. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

There’s a lot of truth to this. I’m still not afraid of Lamar. He’s an above average runner, very average passer. Defenses will catch up. Defenses needs to learn when he runs he’s a running back, you can hit the crap out of him. Uhh well hit the mfer. I’m of the mindset to draft so people have to keep up with us. 

I think you need good corners to play man and sell out to stop the run.

Right now they’ve shown they can run on almost anyone and take advantage of that in the passing game.

You have to make Lamar beat you with his arm.

That said, he was the MVP for a reason and I’m not scoffing at that ability right now tbh.

• Like 1

I'd more or less understand that we are completely unable to stop the run, and have been for over 20 years. We need to beef up our DL, find a true MLB, and have some type of SLB/S that can actually run the alley and/or set the edge, preferably both. We need a ballhawking FS, a SS or hybrid slot of some sort (scheme dependent) and another DT. In conclusion, we need:

FS

SS/Hybrid

SLB

MLB

DT

DE after Vernon goes in 2021, plus depth.

...and that's regardless of who we play. I would scheme to win the division, and Baltimore and Pittsburgh are going to try to assert their will with their interior OL, running game, and deep vertical passing attacks. Throw in KC, with their TE and deep vertical passing attack, and having to get pressure on Mahomes and other QBs like him with a 4 man rush.

11 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Updated March 17, 2020

Walter football is a garbage site for news. That guy has been consistently wrong about many things and often edits his predictions once events occur to seem right. 

• Like 1