College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I would resign him for cohesion sake but I also have seen teams go the rotation route where they get a really good 2 down guy and substitute him for a good coverage guy on 3rd down too for half the price

Exactly where I come out on it. I'd try like hell to keep him, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep if he weren't retained.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

We have a way now.

1.) Andrew Berry laid out his philosophy on placing a premium on players that effect the passing game (on both sides of the ball).

2.) Smart, tough, and accountable football players is the stated cultural ethos and player acquisition philosophy of Berry and Stefanski.

Taking both those things into account, I think it suggests that the Browns may be valuing certain players over others in the draft.

Pass rushers, Pass defenders, Pass Blockers, and Pass Receivers.

That lens/filter on the prospects we've all talked about will be interesting as we approach the draft.

I have a strange feeling that Jeffrey Okudah will be the highest player on the Browns board as he'll shine in personality tests, intelligence tests, what analytics say about his elite athleticism and size, as well as his ability to be an elite pass defender.

If the Lions don't take Okudah, I wonder how far he falls.

Wills and Okudah will be at the top of the Browns draft board, and it would be unexpectedly amazing if one should fall to us.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Pass rushers, Pass defenders, Pass Blockers, and Pass Receivers.

That lens/filter on the prospects we've all talked about will be interesting as we approach the draft.

I have a strange feeling that Jeffrey Okudah will be the highest player on the Browns board as he'll shine in personality tests, intelligence tests, what analytics say about his elite athleticism and size, as well as his ability to be an elite pass defender.

If the Lions don't take Okudah, I wonder how far he falls.

Wills and Okudah will be at the top of the Browns draft board, and it would be unexpectedly amazing if one should fall to us.

I agree with all of this.

I can't see any way that Okudah falls to us, but it's at least possible that Wills does.  We would have to hope that the teams in front of us prefer Becton/Wirfs/Thomas and take them instead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If we are placing a priority on stopping opposing passing attacks, why would Chase Young not be ahead of Okudah?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If we are placing a priority on stopping opposing passing attacks, why would Chase Young not be ahead of Okudah?

Yeah, my point meant the "highest player on the Browns board that there's at least some realistic shot at getting."

I've crossed off Chase Young off the Browns board because he doesn't exist as even a remote possibility as he's going 2 guaranteed.

There's a chance Okudah could be acquired; thus, why I think he could be the highest on their board for the prior reasons specified in that regard.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

Just now, Mind Character said:

There's a chance Okudah could be acquired; thus, why I think he could be the highest on their board for the prior reasons specified in that regard.

There is a 0% chance Okudah is there at #10 unless he murders a school bus full of children.

Too many teams need a CB, too many teams could use a CB, and it's a position of importance. And Okudah is excellent.

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

There is a 0% chance Okudah is there at #10 unless he murders a school bus full of children.

Too many teams need a CB, too many teams could use a CB, and it's a position of importance. And Okudah is excellent.

Yeah, but if Detroit passes on him, NYG often makes dumb draft decisions, MIA needs a QB, LAC needs a QB, so there is a possibility we could get him with a minimal trade up. Young there's just 0% chance whatsoever that he gets past 3 (even IF WASH moves out for someone to come get Tua). I think that's Mind's point. Not that either will be at 10, but that there is legitimately no possible situation in which we get a shot at even trading for Young.

• Like 2

I think the only way Detroit passes on him is if they decide they eventually want to move on from Stafford, so they draft Tua and have him sit for a year. But with their front office and coaching staff likely being on the hot seat, I think they'll take Okudah as they'll need a player who can make an impact from day one.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, but if Detroit passes on him, NYG often makes dumb draft decisions, MIA needs a QB, LAC needs a QB, so there is a possibility we could get him with a minimal trade up. Young there's just 0% chance whatsoever that he gets past 3 (even IF WASH moves out for someone to come get Tua). I think that's Mind's point. Not that either will be at 10, but that there is legitimately no possible situation in which we get a shot at even trading for Young.

I am all for drafting the best player available if he is better than everyone else on the board, but I would be hard pressed to spend our top 10 selection on a corner with what we currently have on the team.

We have greater needs and players who fit those needs also at the top of the draft board as far as talent goes.

There needs to be a mesh of need, draft value, and positional value, and I don't think he would fit that blend.

Just now, CBrownsman said:

I am all for drafting the best player available if he is better than everyone else on the board, but I would be hard pressed to spend our top 10 selection on a corner with what we currently have on the team.

We have greater needs and players who fit those needs also at the top of the draft board as far as talent goes.

There needs to be a mesh of need, draft value, and positional value, and I don't think he would fit that blend.

For sure. But OT is deep as heck this year. If we can get Okudah, with the new analytics stuff that corner might be even more important than pass rusher for shutting down the pass... man that would be tempting. Especially with Ward's injury history.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure. But OT is deep as heck this year. If we can get Okudah, with the new analytics stuff that corner might be even more important than pass rusher for shutting down the pass... man that would be tempting. Especially with Ward's injury history.

Image result for intrigued afraid gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don’t even think there’s a question of what we should do at that point. Third best offensive tackle versus a cornerback that you are not going to find in every draft? Give me Jeff Okudah all day if he falls to 10. He is going to be an all pro type of player. Definitely a Marshon Lattimore type of longshot for him to be there that late, but I guess you never know. We need good players at a lot of positions, you can’t just draft for the biggest need when a guy like that falls.

• Like 2