College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Todd McShay's first mock has us taking Tee Higgins and I gotta say you guys this did not upset me at all.

...then again y'all know I'm a sucker for a good wideout

That would be OK so long as we are operating under the assumption that one or both of our receivers is going to get traded. If fences are mended though, I think we have a lot of other needs.

Edited by NateDawg

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What if the draft rolls around and AJ Epenesa is staring at us? Also I think we need to be looking at a guy like Marvin Wilson in the 2nd to add much needed toughness and beef inside, just a thought

You do that i a heartbeat unless the board has Andrew Thomas, Grant Delpit, or Chase Young falling to us.

• Like 1

oThis off-season is going to be crazy! We could have unforeseen glaring holes on this roster depending on what happens with the following players:

1. OBJ/Landry

2. Schobert

3. Vernon

4. Randall

I'd like to retain all of them (with Vernon being the one guy I'm on the fence about), but I could see us moving on from at least 1-2 of those guys.

That changes everything in terms of our drafting plan. We couldn't go into next season without addressing those spots.

Until then, we need to bolster this OL and the ancillary blockers (TE, FB) and build a team predicated on running the football and deep play action shots. Kill the RPO and let's grind teams down with Chubb and Hunt.

39 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

oThis off-season is going to be crazy! We could have unforeseen glaring holes on this roster depending on what happens with the following players:

1. OBJ/Landry

Provided neither ask to be traded, I bring them back.  Let’s see what a offseason and perhaps being healthy can do for OBJ.

2. Schobert

Should be a no brained for me, he’s your second best defensive player.

3. Vernon

I’d love to keep him, but for about 1/3 of what he makes.  No way he’s back at 15 million.  Chad Thomas has outplayed him this year.

4. Randall

Eh... malcontent in GB hoping new scenery would help.  Benched a game this year for missing practice....while we were still in the playoff hunt.

Dude is talented but I wouldn’t play him big money, and I’d have be comfortable with where his head’s at.

Until then, we need to bolster this OL and the ancillary blockers (TE, FB) and build a team predicated on running the football and deep play action shots. Kill the RPO and let's grind teams down with Chubb and Hunt.

This needs to be the focus for sure.

I think if Baker has time to throw, he can be very, very good.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1. OBJ/Landry

2. Schobert

3. Vernon

4. Randall

I'd like to retain all of them (with Vernon being the one guy I'm on the fence about), but I could see us moving on from at least 1-2 of those guys.

That changes everything in terms of our drafting plan. We couldn't go into next season without addressing those spots.

randall isnt comin back.  like no way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Where are we going to spend money in free agency?

are we even going to try?

if we won’t resign Schobert 

And we traded Zeitler because of money so we don’t want to spend it on o line

where exactly are we going to try to spend money this year?

1. we sign free agents every year, and spend every year
2. we spent money on bitonio, tretter and robinson, so its not about not spending it on the o line
3. its about spending money commensurate to your production/relative importance on the team.

depends on whos out on the market

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, NateDawg said:

That would be OK so long as we are operating under the assumption that one or both of our receivers is going to get traded. If fences are mended though, I think we have a lot of other needs.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:37 AM, MWil23 said:

LOL McShay...

If this regime is dumb enough to draft a WR in the 1st with all of the holes we have up front on both sides of the ball, not to mention others like Safety and TE, then we deserve to be awful again in 2020.

I think Tee Higgins makes sense. Just because he's a wide receiver doesn't mean he can't bring anything to the table if the Browns were to keep OBJ. He's 6'4" and with massive contested catch and acrobatic ability. Dude's a stud. You're seriously gonna tell me they couldn't have used his skillset this year? Losing Njoku highlighted how much this team could truly use more length for the goal line offense, and he can be everything that many hoped Hollywood could be, and then some. If they have a plan to address the line, and all of the best OT's are off the board at our pick, I think it makes total sense. That being said, I don't see it happening in reality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I think Tee Higgins makes sense. Just because he's a wide receiver doesn't mean he can't bring anything to the table if the Browns were to keep OBJ. He's 6'4" and with massive contested catch and acrobatic ability. Dude's a stud. You're seriously gonna tell me they couldn't have used his skillset this year? Losing Njoku highlighted how much this team could truly use more length for the goal line offense, and he can be everything that many hoped Hollywood could be, and then some. If they have a plan to address the line, and all of the best OT's are off the board at our pick, I think it makes total sense. That being said, I don't see it happening in reality.

You're not wrong on any of that, but with our JOKE of an OL situation, our awful interior DL situation, our subpar S situation, WR is a luxury at this point. Throw in that I have Higgins as about my 4th/5th best WR option (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, maybe even Smith/Shenault), and I don't like that one bit.

Having another Red Zone threat isn't going to give Baker more time, it's not going to stop the run, it's not going to rush the passer, it's not going to tackle/force turnovers, and he'd come in and be about our 5th best receiving threat behind OBJ/Landry/Njoku and Hunt, not to mention probably Chubb as well.

JMHO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You're not wrong on any of that, but with our JOKE of an OL situation, our awful interior DL situation, our subpar S situation, WR is a luxury at this point. Throw in that I have Higgins as about my 4th/5th best WR option (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, maybe even Smith/Shenault), and I don't like that one bit.

Having another Red Zone threat isn't going to give Baker more time, it's not going to stop the run, it's not going to rush the passer, it's not going to tackle/force turnovers, and he'd come in and be about our 5th best receiving threat behind OBJ/Landry/Njoku and Hunt, not to mention probably Chubb as well.

JMHO

At the end of the day, this will come down to the BPA vs. Need debate. If you're looking at Alex Leatherwood or Tee Higgins, how is that decision even a question when we're considering the level of talent that is being weighed here? I agree that addressing the offensive line will be ESSENTIAL. It's a gaping need, but you gotta roll with the flow of the draft. If there isn't a lineman available who is at least considerably worthy of the pick, I don't think one should pull the trigger on him. That's just me. Hell, maybe they'd even draft a safety over a lineman. Delpit could be sitting there for the Browns to ****** up.

Secondly, It's not fair to list Higgins in the mix with 5 other receivers who are slam dunk 1st round talents, and then call him a bad pick. We have yet to experience the whole draft process with these guys, but right now I feel pretty comfortable with that value. Could even argue he brings a skillset that is more needed for this offense with his length. It may not give Baker more time, but it offers him more opportunity, and it can open things up quicker for the offense. Baker can then get rid of the ball sooner, and in Higgins' case, to a larger window; whether it be back shoulder, or a fade over the top of a defender, the possibilities a immense.