College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'm preparing to start digging in on CFB prospects for December.

IMO to get to the next level this team needs the following:

1.) Premium Speed Boundary WR that commands defensive attention and gravity

2.) An all everything speed, physical force, ball-hawking Hybrid Safety, 

3.) LT/RT/RG (I think Forbes is going to be our RG of the future),

4.) An Impact Blocking-Receiving TE (I still believe in Njoku and RSJ looked good in limited opportunities; Baker thrives in offenses with big play TEs,)

5.) A starting quality CB prospect in the even that Greedy and/or Denzel Ward continue to struggle with injury issues.

---------

Anyone have a few TEs, Safeties, or WRs that have caught your eye this season?? (I'm not referring to the Big names like Albert O or whoever unless those players have even elevated their play.. in that case I 'll check them out again too.

Mind, feel free to disagree.

I think Freddie secretly just wants a huge tight end that can run block. My only reference is the Cardinals and what Bruce Arians has historically ran. I don’t think we need a dynamic tight end. Just a consistent guy who blocks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Mind, feel free to disagree.

I think Freddie secretly just wants a huge tight end that can run block. My only reference is the Cardinals and what Bruce Arians has historically ran. I don’t think we need a dynamic tight end. Just a consistent guy who blocks.

I completely agree that an impact blocking-receiving TE would be far more valuable and functional in Freddie's offense than a receiving-blocking TE and I don't see much use at all in our offense for a pure receiving TE at all.

The use of Pharoah Brown as a pulling blocker and gap sealer has been key on crucial runs and 1st down rhythm pass calls.  Freddie loves calling those return action fake blocking calls where the TE appears to be down blocking in the way the defense has seen all game to only then be caught by surprise when off of the same look the TE run free in the seam or in the screen space.

Interestingly, Freddie has called those type of plays a fair amount of times but Pharoah lacks the athleticism to get open, or we just aren't looking his way or a penalty blows the play dead. Harris isn't the blocker our offense desires.

Will be interesting to see if there are prospects great at both dimensions much like the TJ Hockenson's or George Kittle's of the world. Likely not.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:21 AM, Kiwibrown said:

I wouldnt mind bringing danny shelton back next year if he hits free agency, we missed a space eater today 

I've been saying this for a while now, we could have gotten him for cheap before he went to the Pats, I'm afraid that we are going to wear these guys down by the end of the season.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, NateDawg said:

Chase Young and Jeff Okudah are going to be the next OSU rookie monsters in 2020.  We won't pick high enough for either one of them.  Just saying, since I know lots of Buckeye fans are also Brownies.  I think Young could be better than both Bosas and Okudah is going to do the same type of stuff as Denzel and Marshon. 

We could be in play for guys like:

Jordan Fuller

Malik Harrison

Davon Hamilton (Who I love)

KJ Hill

Also in terms of Chase Young, the elephant in the room might be that he might be the best Buckeye prospect ever. Its not that he is a freak athlete, we all know that but his snap anticipation, technique,football I.Q., and motor. The kid is playing to his absolute potential and we all need to enjoy watching him in a Buckeye uniform while we can still watch him

On 9/30/2019 at 3:16 AM, Mind Character said:

Will be interesting to see if there are prospects great at both dimensions much like the TJ Hockenson's or George Kittle's of the world. Likely not.

Not next year there aren't. It'd be great, but I don't see those guys available. At least within the first few rounds. There are always late round blocking TE's that can catch passes, but I haven't evaluated a TE that can do all of those things at a high level for the 2020 class.

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:
On 9/30/2019 at 3:21 AM, Kiwibrown said:

I wouldnt mind bringing danny shelton back next year if he hits free agency, we missed a space eater today 

I've been saying this for a while now, we could have gotten him for cheap before he went to the Pats, I'm afraid that we are going to wear these guys down by the end of the season.

how so? No DLineman is putting up usage numbers like last year. Right now the highest snap count is 80% by Vernon. The Browns are playing 4 DEs and and 4 DTs. More so than they have done in years past.

Hell last year they mainly played 3 DEs and 2 DTs

This season they have  8 lineman with at least playing 20% of the snap counts. Last season, they only had 5.

I do not know about you guys but does this draft set up fantastically for the browns weaknesses.

The safety class looks talented and deep ,excellent speed at wr, with maybe deepest lineman class in a long time.

Free agency wise we can can afford to resign Russell,Schobert,and Robinson with room to do a obj trade.

This off season maybe better than last off season.