DAL signs RB Ezekiel Elliott to 6-year 90M extension 50M guaranteed

Ty21

I hate the idea of paying RBs any significant money, but this is way better than I had anticipated. Zeke gets his top guaranteed $ and Dallas gets an easy out in 4 years. 

About as perfect as I could have hoped for.

The only real hangup, and it's a pretty big one tbh, is if Zeke is smart enough to steer clear of drama.

Edited by WizardHawk

13 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I hate the idea of paying RBs any significant money, but this is way better than I had anticipated. Zeke gets his top guaranteed $ and Dallas gets an easy out in 4 years. 

About as perfect as I could have hoped for.

The only real hangup, and it's a pretty big one tbh, is if Zeke is smart enough to steer clear of drama.

But if the Cowboys were willing to give Zeke his top guaranteed money, then why did they wait 3 days before the season starts to do it?  They could have done this months and months ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, showtime said:

But if the Cowboys were willing to give Zeke his top guaranteed money, then why did they wait 3 days before the season starts to do it?  They could have done this months and months ago.

Zeke didn't want to go to training camp and organization wasn't concerned about him getting acclimated to Moore's scheme. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Zeke didn't want to go to training camp and organization wasn't concerned about him getting acclimated to Moore's scheme. 

I see.  So you're saying this deal was done behind the scenes for a while and Zeke was doing this because he didn't want to go to training camp?

50 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

No no no, we need to wait until March 2020 before we know the full details of this deal and whether Zeke got a record setting contract.

Look at the details. Zeke was on a 2 year deal fully gtd, now a 4yr $50m deal for all intents and purposes. 

So it's dramatically different than the initial reports.

21 minutes ago, showtime said:

Same with Dak, you should not wait. Make your deal first, or don't make them at all. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I don't really have a problem with this contract.

4 year, $50m, $12.5m/yr with  basically a bunch of one year team options after that. 

41 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Same with Dak, you should not wait. Make your deal first, or don't make them at all. 

We killed it with that contract compared to what I was expecting. So waiting didnt hurt us at all. 

I guess Zeke #Caved

Edit: Allegedly we still have $21m this year in cap space and $65m next year. For a rollover total of $86m.

Edited by Matts4313

I guess this deal is all about the guaranteed money and getting a little cheddar a few years early.

His 7.5 million to sign is great, except you take away the 3.1 million they dropped off of his 2019 salary.

So in the next year he gets about 4.4 million in new money and he gets another 10.7 in 2020 (13 with 2.3 dropped off his 2020 salary)

Its really 28 million guaranteed with 50 guaranteed for injury but its poison pill enough that it would hurt for the Cowboys to walk away after this year or after 2020.

Zeke also go the Gurley hook ups of 2021 and 2022 becoming guaranteed a year ahead in 2020 and 2021.

It looks like the Cowboys have taken 6.2 million out of the next 2 years and converted it as part of the 6 year 90 deal So it's really 6 years 83.8 million. (13.996 per year)

They can also dump him in 4 seasons with Zeke having made 12.5 per year from 2019-2022. (but 4.1 of that was his original signing bonus)

This worst case for Zeke still gets him a huge raise in 2019 and 2020. (and about 46 million in new money)

The Rams did the same thing with Gurley's contract so I have no idea who the highest paid guy is. (it probably will be Zeke at some point)

I also have no idea what the 'Zeke is in jail' provision is for any of this.

This would be a good one for match class.

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

lmao

You dont even know the structure of the deal. And if we come back paying Dak/Cooper top money - then who do we value? Silly take. 

Are you honestly going to try and justify this deal right after you crapped on the Rams for giving a better HB the same sort of deal?

• Like 1