DAL signs RB Ezekiel Elliott to 6-year 90M extension 50M guaranteed

Ty21

I'm not against paying runningbacks provided they are awesome. Elliot is that, I dont think he will be effective into the later part of his contract unless they drop his carries, he is a punishing runner and they dont have long careers. 

I'd be more comfortable giving a back like kamara or saquon 18 million per year over 6 years than Zeke or say nick chubb 12 million per year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

One contract is an albatross, according to you. The other you are defending. The albatross is slightly cheaper than the one you are defending. And the guy who got the albatross is the slightly better player.

Gurley is more likely to lock in his guarantees through injury while Zeke is more likely to void them through suspension, is the difference I guess.

They're both bad deals.

If the Cowboys now sign Prescott, Cooper and Jones I think it is officially time to stop stressing about the salary cap.

You may stress that your team may not resign a good player because they don't want to pay him that much and they may not, money isn't infinite and teams still want to turn a large profit, but starting to doubt failure to sign a player is cap related.

It seems if a team wants to keep a guy they will keep him and pay him what he wants.  It seems there are many avenues to keep money from hurting the cap (to a point).

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

If the Cowboys now sign Prescott, Cooper and Jones I think it is officially time to stop stressing about the salary cap.

You may stress that your team may not resign a good player because they don't want to pay him that much and they may not, money isn't infinite and teams still want to turn a large profit, but starting to doubt failure to sign a player is cap related.

It seems if a team wants to keep a guy they will keep him and pay him what he wants.  It seems there are many avenues to keep money from hurting the cap (to a point).

You've always been able to keep your stars, the Seahawks did for a while as well... but depth will be sacrificed, and ultimately lead to your downfall.

• Like 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

You've always been able to keep your stars, the Seahawks did for a while as well... but depth will be sacrificed, and ultimately lead to your downfall.

I think the Seahawks just didn't want to pay declining players top dollar after a certain point.  They could have if they wanted to. 

It seems if you keep spreading it you can always keep cap hit relatively low.  It's not infinite, but if you want to keep a guy you can (again to a point).  

If he is UFA and someone wants to give him moon then he is probably gone.

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Any veteran contract you can’t get out of until after four years is a trash-fire, even before getting into the RB value debate.

I don't know.  They can get out when he is 27.  Presumably right in his prime which is 27-29 for most athletes.   He has been very durable.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know.  They can get out when he is 27.  Presumably right in his prime which is 27-29 for most athletes.   He has been very durable.

12.4 million in 2022 for a top RB/Receiver probably will be a bargain.  Heck he may hold out again that or following year.  

Maybe by the time we get a new CBA agreement, QB contracts will be a separate entity and worries like this will be a thing of the past. The NFL/Teams make money hand over fist, if a player is deserving to get paid then they should get paid. 

Edited by Jaytrajik

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Gurley and Zeke were both entering their age-24 seasons at that point.

You would be really hard pressed to find any other second contracts with no outs until four years after the signing date outside of the QB position. That is so unbelievably player friendly.