Packers & Bears Postgame

DocHolliday

On 9/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, packfanfb said:

Not sure how a "coverage grade" is measured by PFF, but: 

Glass half-full: this means that Chicago was simply that good at covering our guys all night because they have a special defense and things should get easier/better moving forward. 

Glass half-empty: Bears had the highest grade because while they are pretty good, we were also the easiest group in Week 1 to cover -- meaning the Bears just provided the blue print for other defenses to repeat moving forward. 

I just watched the offense on the All-22. I was sorta trying to see why Allison got shut out. There were just so little time for Rodgers all night, the receivers never could really complete their routes. You could count on one hand the number of snaps where they did. So, this grade means almost nothing. Allowing that completion to Davis from the shadow of our goal line was unforgivable. He was wide snatching open and didn’t really do anything special to get that way.

I know someone posted Allison’s snap count and they seemed reasonable , but he really wasn’t used much at all—maybe those counts were helped by being on punt teams.  I’d have to say MVS was #2 if there is such a thing.  Rodgers missed MVS wide open on the Jimmy Graham PI play.

Rodgers had a few head scratchers but the worst was after that PI call, he was going to throw an RPO to no one.  He went to throw the ball and no receiver had ever been on that side of the formation.  Hopefully, that’s just him learning the new offense, but I was still surprised to see it.  

Overall, the offense wasn’t as bad as it seemed after the 1st quarter.  The first quarter was as bad as it seemed.

Edited by mikebpackfan

I think the offence was bad but it did a few nice things. Past the 1st quarter they would tend to move the ball at least a little bit on almost every drive giving the defense a little time to rest and keeping field position in the Packers favor. They were not good but they did just enough to not be a complete hinderance either. 

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I think the offence was bad but it did a few nice things. Past the 1st quarter they would tend to move the ball at least a little bit on almost every drive giving the defense a little time to rest and keeping field position in the Packers favor. They were not good but they did just enough to not be a complete hinderance either. 

LaFleur at least kind of stuck with the run game and was able to generate some play action passing.  Rodgers too often passed up easy check-downs for big plays that weren't there.  That gets frustrating .. lots of yardage lost and unnecessary hits to the QB.

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Haven't seen this anywhere else, but looks like Rodgers caught them for a free play on the Graham TD.

I thought it was just a ballsy trust throw, but this makes more sense.

They didn’t say anything during the tv play but when I rewatched the condensed version it was clear. They did rush to the line caught them with 2 many men. 

29%: Packers' rate of defensive disruption (ranking eighth for Week 1). Next Gen Stats show that in last Thursday's win over the Bears, the Packers pressured Chicago quarterback Mitchell Trubisky on 38% of dropbacks, up from 13.2% in the teams' two games last season. Further, my computer vision tracks 13 times where the Packers got into a 5-foot halo in Trubisky's field of vision (what I count as defensive disruption, compared to NGS' definition of disruption as occurring when a player is within 2 yards of the QB when he throws the ball) for a rate of 29%. For context, think of about a 16% disruption rate as being very good.

This shouldn't be a free site.  Gold.

Edit - wouldn't a backside bootleg with the QB and a TE running to the flats sell this to the point where Mack would be completely out of the play and Jones would have one man to beat?  It seems like the backside TE trying to make that block is a key for the safety to read and fill. And, I just dont think any of our TE's are going to execute a 1 on 1 block with Mack - like ever.

Edited by Cheech
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, vegas492 said:

As you watch it, please report on the following...

-What happened with GMO?  Who was on him, why no catches?

-That last incompletion that Fuller almost snagged...to MVS.... was it a run call?  Did the lineman fire off or was it really a pass call?  To me it looked like Rodgers gave a little look to MVS and MVS clearly didn't "get" it.  

-Seemed like they targetted Crazy Tony when he was on Robinson.  Did this happen when King was on the sideline getting a breather?  Or did Chicago just motion into a bad matchup on our end?

-Savage.  Overall, how was his play?  He certainly popped a lot, but when the ball wasn't going his way, how did he look?

Huge thank you in advance!  ...always dig your write ups!

• GMo just didn't really get a chance to do much.  Didn't take many snaps, and wasn't really a lot of opportunity when he did due to the Bears front seven.  I think he'll be a nice fit in the slot actually when the stretch play is working and the line isn't being overwhelmed by a bunch of physical freaks.  Fingers crossed he gets some more snaps next week, because I think they're making a mistake playing Lewis/Vitale over GMo as much as they did.  
  • Was 100% a RPO that Rodgers chose pass on.  Everyone but Rodgers and MVS executing the run.  MVS actually was open, it was the right read, Rodgers just didn't put the ball on him.  However, I'm not sure if he was expecting a different route from MVS or it was just a bad throw.  Looked a lot like most of Rodgers's RPOs; a week or two away from being ready for primetime.
  • Pretty sure King was on a snap count.  They rotated him in and out for drives, replaced him with Crazy Tony as he seems to be the next man up on the boundary.  Honestly, I didn't think his coverage was bad on the catches Robinson made, but Trubs made a great throw on one and on the other Robinson is a legit stud at finding the ball and adjusting and Tony is not.  I like Tony overall and it's still nice that you can put your CB4 on the other team's #1 and not be totally concerned it's all about to explode.  This is just one of those things that can happen when you're playing your reserves.  
  • Savage is a freak.  I need to do a full watch of the secondary just to get a really dialed in look, but first blush impressions is he's 100% going to the Hall of Fame and will probably retire as the greatest defensive back of all time.  Failing that, he'll be a damn fine safety.  The game didn't look too big for him at all, his oft-mentioned intelligence and poise was on display.  Was twitchy and quick on his breaks in man coverage, blitzed pretty well, and can absolutely cover grass when he's playing deep.  Most importantly, he knows what he's looking for and if he gets it he'll make you pay.  He was sitting on that throw to Robinson before the ball was even snapped and was a few inches away from his first INT.  Now, this was a pretty perfect set up for him.  Trubs isn't an elite passing QB and was under siege all game, and the Bears don't have much for weapons offensively.  Next step for him will be to see how he handles teams that try to isolate and attack hiim specifically, ie whether he bites on PA/misdirection/double moves/etc.  But you gotta feel good about that game 1.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:
  • GMo just didn't really get a chance to do much.  Didn't take many snaps, and wasn't really a lot of opportunity when he did due to the Bears front seven.  I think he'll be a nice fit in the slot actually when the stretch play is working and the line isn't being overwhelmed by a bunch of physical freaks.  Fingers crossed he gets some more snaps next week, because I think they're making a mistake playing Lewis/Vitale over GMo as much as they did.  
  • Was 100% a RPO that Rodgers chose pass on.  Everyone but Rodgers and MVS executing the run.  MVS actually was open, it was the right read, Rodgers just didn't put the ball on him.  However, I'm not sure if he was expecting a different route from MVS or it was just a bad throw.  Looked a lot like most of Rodgers's RPOs; a week or two away from being ready for primetime.
  • Pretty sure King was on a snap count.  They rotated him in and out for drives, replaced him with Crazy Tony as he seems to be the next man up on the boundary.  Honestly, I didn't think his coverage was bad on the catches Robinson made, but Trubs made a great throw on one and on the other Robinson is a legit stud at finding the ball and adjusting and Tony is not.  I like Tony overall and it's still nice that you can put your CB4 on the other team's #1 and not be totally concerned it's all about to explode.  This is just one of those things that can happen when you're playing your reserves.  
  • Savage is a freak.  I need to do a full watch of the secondary just to get a really dialed in look, but first blush impressions is he's 100% going to the Hall of Fame and will probably retire as the greatest defensive back of all time.  Failing that, he'll be a damn fine safety.  The game didn't look too big for him at all, his oft-mentioned intelligence and poise was on display.  Was twitchy and quick on his breaks in man coverage, blitzed pretty well, and can absolutely cover grass when he's playing deep.  Most importantly, he knows what he's looking for and if he gets it he'll make you pay.  He was sitting on that throw to Robinson before the ball was even snapped and was a few inches away from his first INT.  Now, this was a pretty perfect set up for him.  Trubs isn't an elite passing QB and was under siege all game, and the Bears don't have much for weapons offensively.  Next step for him will be to see how he handles teams that try to isolate and attack hiim specifically, ie whether he bites on PA/misdirection/double moves/etc.  But you gotta feel good about that game 1.

Good feedback Bob. Week one in the books lets hope momentum and desire carry over to week two.