2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

32 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Money for Schobert isn’t worth it. Going after a lineman is tho

Again, what linemen are available that are worth paying top dollar to? Castonzo and Bulaga are probably the best ones. Both are in their 30s though, and I doubt Indianapolis lets Castonzo go. Scherff might be a good signing, but our interior OL isn't nearly as big of a problem as our tackles. Plus, we could easily sign a guard like Scherff and resign Schobert.

If Schobert is gonna be paid Mosley like money, then I might agree that he's not worth it. But he's still worth paying big bucks too.

• Like 2

Don’t tell me this FO is going to just let JoeSho walk and plug Taki into the lineup so he can start, as one of our draft picks. Letting him walk without investing in keeping him around is so insane. This organization really doesn’t deserve a winner when they make moves like that. Hoping this is just misinformation.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Don’t tell me this FO is going to just let JoeSho walk and plug Taki into the lineup so he can start, as one of our draft picks. Letting him walk without investing in keeping him around is so insane. This organization really doesn’t deserve a winner when they make moves like that. Hoping this is just misinformation.

The situation isn’t  as dire as the media is reporting. 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

You also don’t really win investing top tier money into a 2nd tier Players.. joe is good but we’re making him out to be like he is one of the best ILBs in the league. Which he isn’t. Solid linebacker but not a true difference maker. We have had a questionable run defense the past few years and he has been a common variable in that equation. He is a jack of all trades, master of none. Nothing about his game is elite. I’m fine keeping or letting him walk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You also don’t really win investing top tier money into a 2nd tier Players.. joe is good but we’re making him out to be like he is one of the best ILBs in the league. Which he isn’t. Solid linebacker but not a true difference maker. We have had a questionable run defense the past few years and he has been a common variable in that equation. He is a jack of all trades, master of none. Nothing about his game is elite. I’m fine keeping or letting him walk

I’ll just leave this here...

Scobert to C.J. Mosley first 3 years starting
More Sacks
Same FR
More FF
Same INT

Schobert 3yrs to Myles Jack 4yrs starting
More INT
More FF
More PD
More FR
More Sacks
More TFL
More Sacks

Shortened Career with Injury/Off Field but in his first two season Reuben Foster never created a single turnover. 0 INT, 0 FF, 0 FR as well as 0 Sacks and only 2 PD

Luke Kuechly and Joe Schobert first 3 years starting
More FF
1 Less FR
1 Less INT
More Sacks
More Hits

Scobert to Lavonte David first 3yr starting
Same INT
More FF
More FR
1 less sack

Schobert to Bobby Wagner first 3yr starting
More INT
More PD
More FF
More FR
1 Less Sack
More Hits

Schobert to Deion Jones first 3 yrs starting
More FF
More FR
1 less INT
More Sacks
2 less TFL
More Hits

Props to @trd for the info 
  • Like 3

What we SHOULD do:

1. Draft Tua in the middle of the 1st this year, redshirt him in 2020

2. Trade Baker on draft day and take whatever you can get for him

3. Load up the OL, DL, and acquire a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick in free agency to start in 2020

Start over in 2021

What WILL HAPPEN:

1. Our organization will "stand by/stay committed to Baker"

2. Tua will get drafted by the Steelers, who trade back into Round 1 to take him, letting him sit behind Ben for a full season

3. The Steelers, armed with a Franchise QB and one of the best defenses in the NFL, to go with the most stable ownership and FO in the business, dominate the AFC for 15 years

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe we're giving up Njoku at 23 years old knowing how insanely raw he was coming out of college, as well as how difficult the Tight End position is in terms of development. Analytics suggest that Tight End is the top or top 2 depending on how you look at it hardest developmental position to achieve significant quality impact.

The accountability structure of this team has been completely off. If Dorsey likes you and you make mistakes, then Freddie likes you and you get a pass and don't get benched (Antonio Callaway; Chris Hubbard). If Dorsey doesn't like you as a player, then Freddie doesn't and will bench you for mistakes (Greg Robinson; David Njoku).

People bring up how Njoku looked in practice and the drop/fumble/interception that wasn't and was actually a catch, but all season other players have been far worse.

I know everyone likes to worship at the altar of Stephen Carlson because of a handful of plays, but I've watched every snap of his and RSJ and you can't tell me that Njoku is worse even if hobbled some.

Njoku had surgery and battled back early to contribute to the team and Dorsey/Freddie had already moved on.

Like Ogbah, we'll be lucky if we get even a 6th for him when we inevitably trade him for peanuts this off-season.

I personally haven't studied this draft eligible TEs yet, but I asked someone I trust who has where Njoku would fall amongst the class right now. He said, at 23 years old compared to the TEs coming out in the draft this year, Njoku is arguably a top 3 prospect even considering his issues/mistakes.

That bag of crushed up doritos dorsey is going to get in return is going to delight so many browns fans who have become addicted to trashing young players after 2 years if they aren't immediate superstars. To me, I saw enough development last year that would suggest that Njoku would likely always have low-points in his career and mistakes but his high points would grow more consistent and truly be a high quality contributor towards winning.

What a shame.

Dorsey has a habit of holding on to players he shouldn't too long while flushing one's he should give more chances too soon.

Edited by Mind Character