2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Why?

1.) Because the great leader of men within commands that he lead on twitter and tv shows as well.

2.) Because he has it all figured out.

3.) Because the utility bill and upkeep costs of his stadium house in the progressive commercials is astronomical and he and his wife need the money just to make ends meet and prevent dipping into their savings.

4.) Because Hulu Live Sports added a zero to the large number on the check.

the worst worst

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Nothing good will come out of it. I honestly don’t think Rex will be that hard on him. Rex will kinda poke fun at you, but stop.

Marcus Spears is just another Stephen A. Over emotional clown who will just try to cut you off. He’s talked more trash about Baker than Cowherd. At least Colin talks positive about Bakers accuracy. Marcus just talks ****.

Definitely agree that nothing good can come from it... nothing good at all.

All those shows are trash who's sole purpose is to generate polarized engagement with their show.

It's going to be a sh*t show, and I don't know why he'd seek such an appearance out...

I just wish he'd lay low and grind and shut everyone up on the field.

Though all of those guys are entertainers and carnival barkers, Marcus Spears' takes relative to Stephen A's and Rex Ryan's have had more nuance and substance than the sensationalized Stephen A. or Rex Ryan takes (though that's an extremely low bar).

I don't think Marcus Spears has proven to be all that combative, confrontational type with guests like that so I highly doubt he'd be cutting him off like that unless Baker starts getting combative than it might get wild.

The critiques I've heard Spears give are indeed hater-entertainment, but a lot are right or we'd agree with if one of us posed the critique.

His main critiques I've seen are that 1.) That Bake never had the ability to be considered a top QB (wrong), 2.) Baker isn't the leader he was cracked up to be in college and is too emotionally volatile to lead men in the NFL through times of adversity (a lot of us are hopeful this isn't the case as he can grow but there's some kernels of truth there thus far),  3.) That Baker criticizing Daniel Jones was unfounded and showed poor character and Daniel Jones was better than Baker (Spears was wrong because it turns out that Baker may not have actually said such things), 4.) that Baker's leader of men act is a sham and is a try-hard act to mask insecurity (he might be more right than any of us want to believe),  5.) Baker runs his mouth out of turn and too much (a lot of us might agree with that generally in the case of Duke Johnson and the medical staff critique).

A lot of those things Baker can't really pushed back against. I hope he just owns his issues and looks forward instead of going on a show just to be defensive.

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Why is Baker doing this?

I get the “it’s the offseason..... guys aren’t just football players..... “ whatever arguments, but goddam I wish he’d just sit down and shut up for a while.

I’d be surprised if he comes out of this looking good. His brash attitude works ok when he’s successful but it comes off as clownish after the season he just had.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get the “it’s the offseason..... guys aren’t just football players..... “ whatever arguments, but goddam I wish he’d just sit down and shut up for a while.

I’d be surprised if he comes out of this looking good. His brash attitude works ok when he’s successful but it comes off as clownish after the season he just had.

Baker looks like he's getting into good offseason shape...

... he's got it all figured out...

... and by it ... I mean fast-food menus ...

f3d48f975efb41a78a34624a422b247b_md.jpg

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

Yeah.. I'm not worried about his physique at the moment. I think he did come into camp a little out of shape (or maybe purposely gained weight, idk) and it detracted from his scrambling ability slightly. But, I think that problem was mostly solved by season's end honestly.

1 minute ago, braylon said:

Yeah.. I'm not worried about his physique at the moment. I think he did come into camp a little out of shape (or maybe purposely gained weight, idk) and it detracted from his scrambling ability slightly. But, I think that problem was mostly solved by season's end honestly.

Yeah his issues had nothing to do with his weight tbh.

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

FNP_EW_0010306.jpg 

eli-and-peyton-manning-2013-088a0fc0ef83 

ak-party.jpg

Yeah... you definitely can’t be a decent QB if you’re not ripped. :/

Baker doesn’t need to be diced up, he needs to know where and when to throw the football and what the defense is doing.

Weight is symbolic of other performance and investment issues.

It's not about weight per se, but with Baker it's a trend of something more.

Baker does not have the margin of error to work with that other QBs have because of their natural athletic/size gifts.

Totally different scenarios then those guys you posted later in their careers..

TB12 and the total insane commitment to sports performance of Brady that started early on in his career even before TB12 showed a QB that had a different level of commitment to greatness than we've seen thus far in young Baker Mayfield's career.

Style of play for a 6'5" monster arm impossible to get down slipper pocket boulder Big Ben is different. He's been blessed with more athletic gifting than Baker and is dealing with a different margin of error than a 6ft less gifted different style of player.

Peyton Manning was obsessive in the weight room, in-driliing, and receiving QB coaching... his lower body strength and year round fitness was totally different early on and in the prime of his career compared to late career Peyton that was pasted in that photo.

Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Wentz, Prescott, Murray, Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo, Stafford, and Goff.

Those are the QBs Baker is racing up the QB mountain. The Brees, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady types are on their final laps.

Most if not all of the QBs Baker is racing have already developed elite routines from nutrition, exercise/recovery, and/or skills/knowledge development. Baker has to find his or his talent will only take him so far.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

FNP_EW_0010306.jpg 

eli-and-peyton-manning-2013-088a0fc0ef83 

ak-party.jpg

Yeah... you definitely can’t be a decent QB if you’re not ripped. :/

Baker doesn’t need to be diced up, he needs to know where and when to throw the football and what the defense is doing.

This. I don’t want my qb anywhere near being jacked, see Brady Quinn. 

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Weight is symbolic of other performance and investment issues.

It's not about weight per se, but with Baker it's a trend of something more.

Baker does not have the margin of error to work with that other QBs have because of their natural athletic/size gifts.

Totally different scenarios then those guys you posted later in their careers..

TB12 and the total insane commitment to sports performance of Brady that started early on in his career even before TB12 showed a QB that had a different level of commitment to greatness than we've seen thus far in young Baker Mayfield's career.

Style of play for a 6'5" monster arm impossible to get down slipper pocket boulder Big Ben is different. He's been blessed with more athletic gifting than Baker and is dealing with a different margin of error than a 6ft less gifted different style of player.

Peyton Manning was obsessive in the weight room, in-driliing, and receiving QB coaching... his lower body strength and year round fitness was totally different early on and in the prime of his career compared to late career Peyton that was pasted in that photo.

Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Wentz, Prescott, Murray, Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo, Stafford, and Goff.

Those are the QBs Baker is racing up the QB mountain. The Brees, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady types are on their final laps.

Most if not all of the QBs Baker is racing have already developed elite routines from nutrition, exercise/recovery, and/or skills/knowledge development. Baker has to find his or his talent will only take him so far.

Your hatred for Baker knows no bounds, does it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Your hatred for Baker knows no bounds, does it?

He's the Browns Franchise QB and all Browns fandom sanity rests on his shoulders.

I don't hate him in the slightest bit.

I'm extremely worried that he won't ever reach his potential as his emotional volatility, love of fame, need to track & respond to trolls and Twitter, and his lack of awareness about not knowing what he doesn't know could very well stand in the way of him maximizing his gifts and ability.

I hope more than anything that the negatives we've seen thus far are not sings of future negative downward trends but instead lessons along the road toward growth and sustained success.

But there's some warning signs and there have always been along with positives.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

He's the Browns Franchise QB and all Browns fandom sanity rests on his shoulders.

I don't hate him in the slightest bit.

I'm extremely worried that he won't ever reach his potential as his emotional volatility, love of fame, need to track & respond to trolls and Twitter, and his lack of awareness about not knowing what he doesn't know could very well stand in the way of him maximizing his gifts and ability.

I hope more than anything that the negatives we've seen thus far are not sings of future negative downward trends but instead lessons along the road toward growth and sustained success.

But there's some warning signs and there have always been along with positives.

Based on your posts and how you reacted when we drafted him, yeah you hate him. 

#embraceYourHatred

I understand that Baker has money, this is the offseason, and I don't expect everyone to be wired like me, so this is just from my perspective:

If I had an extremely underwhelming/disappointing year after major expectations and had regressed in multiple areas, I would personally be putting in a lot of time at the gym, watching a lot of film, working out with a QB guru in the offseason (he's already said he's not), as opposed to making UFC appearances wearing a ridiculous hat, drinking down South while looking like a 45 year old dad, etc. For me personally, this is more of a "sum is greater than the parts" thought process. In a vacuum, there's nothing wrong with any of these things, but all together, they could be potential warning signs as far as his future projection goes.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a vacation, or wrong with him having fun early in the offseason, or wrong with going to UFC fights, etc. Like I said, I'll care in May-July.