The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

Why is this being brought up now? This news is like a month old, well at least speculation wise. Can't see anything making it super duper official as of recently either way. I don't think it negatively impacts Simmons tbh. Curses are overrated, much like the Sonics' history.

They've probably been talking for a while, which would explain Ben Simmons subpar play against the Celtics.  Expect that to be the norm :P

I'm just kidding.

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Apparently there's strong reports that the Sixers will be acquiring Pau Gasol from the Spurs, presumably as part of getting Kawhi.

Not likely to happen...Pau Gasol and Kawhi Leonard make a combined ~$36.1M, which mean the Sixers would have to send out about $28.8M in salary.  They can't combine Wilson Chandler in a trade with other players since he was recently acquired, and they can't deal JJ Redick until Decemberish.  I suppose in theory if the Sixers in theory could make it two simultaneous trades where you get a Chandler/Gasol swap, and then a separate deal for Kawhi.  You include Robert Covington, Jerryd Bayless, and all their salary fillers, it puts the Sixers with enough outgoing salary to land Kawhi.  There's still the issue that the Spurs aren't getting any of their primary assets they are asking for.  If they're asking the Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, 2 FRP and the option to swap picks, there's no way a Sixers deal gets done without Markelle Fultz.

Kawhi

Gasol

for

RoCo

Dario

Fultz

Bayless

FRPs

It would work on paper. I don't want to give up Fultz without a verbal agreement to resign tho. Talking about trading Gasol for Bayless, basically, is really cutting hairs. Does it really matter to either team? 

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not likely to happen...Pau Gasol and Kawhi Leonard make a combined ~$36.1M, which mean the Sixers would have to send out about $28.8M in salary.  They can't combine Wilson Chandler in a trade with other players since he was recently acquired, and they can't deal JJ Redick until Decemberish.  I suppose in theory if the Sixers in theory could make it two simultaneous trades where you get a Chandler/Gasol swap, and then a separate deal for Kawhi.  You include Robert Covington, Jerryd Bayless, and all their salary fillers, it puts the Sixers with enough outgoing salary to land Kawhi.  There's still the issue that the Spurs aren't getting any of their primary assets they are asking for.  If they're asking the Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, 2 FRP and the option to swap picks, there's no way a Sixers deal gets done without Markelle Fultz.

Chandler can be traded since he was acquired with cap space. 

If I'm the 76ers, I just stand pat. Getting Kawai doesn't get you guys over Boston if they're healthy, nor does it get you anywhere close to beating the Warriors. Just wait out this Warrior dynasty and attack titles in 2-3 seasons. I don't think Kawai would stay in the long-term. The needle would need to move sooo much for the 76ers to compete with Golden State and it'd likely cost them their young nucleus. I'm not a 76ers fan, but what you would likely have to give up wouldn't be worth the short-term investment IMO.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Getting Kawai doesn't get you guys over Boston if they're healthy

I would have to disagree with that statement, very much so depending on the details of a potential deal that would be made.

27 minutes ago, Danger said:

I would have to disagree with that statement, very much so depending on the details of a potential deal that would be made.

I'm assuming you'd have to essentially gut your roster with the exception of Simmons & Embiid. You'd have a big 3 of Kawai/Simmons/Embiid, but next to nothing else. That'd be my guess as to what it'd take to get Kawai. You'd be losing Covington, Fultz, and Saric almost assuredly.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I'm assuming you'd have to essentially gut your roster with the exception of Simmons & Embiid. You'd have a big 3 of Kawai/Simmons/Embiid, but next to nothing else. That'd be my guess as to what it'd take to get Kawai. You'd be losing Covington, Fultz, and Saric almost assuredly.

There's zero chance we'd give up all three. Keep in mind other assets we have. Zhaire Smith, and the future Miami FRP which will likely be pretty high since they're a team on the decline.

Edited by Danger

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I doubt Fultz would go, but even if he did the Sixers wouldn't be completely gutted.

Simmons // McConnell

Redick // Smith

Kawhi // Anderson

Chandler // Bjelica

Embiid // Johnson

That's good depth and that rotation would likely exclude Johnson in the playoffs and possibly Bjelica.

EDIT: Gasol as part of the return would push Chandler to the bench

Edited by utley4568

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

I doubt Fultz would go, but even if he did the Sixers wouldn't be completely gutted.

Simmons // McConnell

Redick // Smith

Kawhi // Anderson

Chandler // Bjelica

Embiid // Johnson

That's good depth and that rotation would likely exclude Johnson in the playoffs and possibly Bjelica.

EDIT: Gasol as part of the return would push Chandler to the bench

Yeah that's not a bad squad by any stretch, but I think Boston would beat this squad. That being said, I'm not sure who Boston gained or lost this off-season. I know they're likely to lose Marcus Smart, but aside from him, I think their core is in-tact. Plus they gain two superstars in their prime in Kyrie and Gordon. If both squads stay healthy (big if), I'm taking Boston.