What are your thoughts to the controversial end to the Denver Chicago game?

patriotsheatyan

Did time run out?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Did time run out?

• No
    • Yes

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

What are your thoughts on the clock at the end?

My thoughts are Robinson was down with 1 second left and Bears called a timeout simultaneously. Don't know why that is so controversial. 

You can talk about the roughing the passer call earlier in that drive being a very weak call but the officiating was like that the whole game and the Bears defense also got called for 2 very questionable unnecessary roughness calls, one of which continued a drive for for the Broncos that saw them get 3 points.

I understand some Denver fans may feel gutted and cheated by that outcome...but you can't say the Bears were gifted a W by the refs when they were the better team for the majority of that game.

16 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

By putting all the facts I’ve read in this thread. A play happened where the time should’ve run out?

Broncos score with 30 seconds left in the game. They went for 2 to get the win and got it. The Bears had 30 seconds to get into FG range. Bradley Chubb made a perfectly legitimate hit on Trubisky when he was releasing the ball and the refs threw a 15 yards roughness penalty.

The penalty pushed the Bears into a range that they only needed 15 yards of offense to kick a game winning FG. They completed a pass to get in FG range and by the time the runner was down there was only 1 second left and the clock went to 0:00. Everybody celebrated like the game was over but the refs put 1 second back on the clock because they believe that somehow the Bears were able to call a timeout in the 1 second that the WRs knee hit the ground and the clock hit 0. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

One of the crazier endings to a game I have seen. Leonard Floyd dropping the game-ending INT. Delay of game on the 2pt conversion. Then the missed XP but the Bears were offsides. Then the 2pt conversion that was converted. Then the lame RTP call. Then a 4th and 15 conversion and TO with 1 second left. Then the dude makes the 53-yarder or whatever it was! Insane.

At full speed I thought that time ran out. On instant replay I thought that it was at least possible that they called TO. So really, as a neutral fan, I was fine with whatever they ended up deciding.

51 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I thought the Bears were lucky.

You dont immediately get a timeout when a player is down. You get it when the ref sees the timeout called and he blows the whistle. 

I would love to see if there is video of a bears player or coach calling a timeout after his knee hits the ground and the referee recognizing it in that split 1 second.

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would love to see if there is video of a bears player or coach calling a timeout after his knee hits the ground and the referee recognizing it in that split 1 second.

There is likely both who started signaling for TO before the receiver was even down and did it constantly as he went down.

Yeah I really don't care about the calls at all. The defense gave up a 4th and 15 conversion with the game in their hands after playing a phenomenal fourth quarter. You have to close the game on that play and deserve to lose if you don't. We've also been pretty lucky in recent history with opposing teams missing FGs late in close games in Denver, so we were due for a no-doubter like that walk-off. Really tough loss. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

What is the point of out of bounds vs on the field?

How does the clock hit 1 second while the player is still falling to the ground but you can wrap the play up and acknowledge a timeout in 0.0 seconds.

Its making up a rule on the fly and its not what refs are supposed to do.

They looked at the time the play ended and gave them a free instantaneous timeout.

That is not a thing!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SkippyX said:

How does the clock hit 1 second while the player is still falling to the ground but you can wrap the play up and acknowledge a timeout in 0.0 seconds.

They looked at the time the play ended and gave them a free instantaneous timeout.

That is not a thing!

That's my only gripe with it, seems like there was a whole lot of benefit of the doubt being given regardless if the official actually saw/recognized/called this apparent time out with 1 second ticking off the clock.

Oh well, bad beat. Bad bad beat.

14 hours ago, SkippyX said:

That is not a thing!

Hilariously crap call #4,239 of the young season. 

• Like 1

Is there such a thing as simultaneously calling a TO as the receiver's knee is down? If so....then it's fair I guess. It looks wrong though, IMO. There's usually a natural delay between a play being dead and a TO being called. In this situation, it was instant....what's the law?

Edited by Hunter2_1