A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

More about planning ahead and feeling like Tanny has a limited number of prime years. Lol 

I don't think Tanny is good enough to keep us from drafting a QB of the future. 

Many, if not everyone in here, thought he wasn't good enough to be any upgrade over Mariota. And yet they were dead wrong. While that might have more to do with Marcus than himself, I do believe he has it in him to turn it all around and be a very reliable starter for the 2nd half of his career. With the roster being what it is, and hopefully getting even better, that might be all we need. I've argued this much for a long time before we finally replaced Marcus.

And at this point, I don't know how you could not pay him. 

• Like 2

I've mentioned it half jokingly for the past few weeks that everything we've been looking for in a QB for all these years has been standing right in front of us with Tannehill, but I've always genuinely believed he was capable of this level of play with a good team around him. I mentioned it a few days ago that for whatever reason a lot of people haven't wanted to give him his due, but at a certain point his level of play is undeniable even from his biggest critics. I feel like he's playing like a guy that got his starting job taken away from him once and never wants that to happen to him again. He's been the perfect fit for us, and I'm ready to commit to him as our guy going forward. Yeah it's an unconventional path to finding a starting QB, but so what? We're an unconventional team, and I think he helps our team play with a much needed chip on their shoulder. I'm enjoying the ride with Tanny, and I hope it continues for as long as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Is there a scenario where if Tannehill keeps this up he actually becomes too expensive for us to keep?

For real.  I set my imaginary budget for him and Henry at 25M AAV.  I still think we have to be cautious about overpaying for Henry... still don't see him as the elite every down back in line with Gurley, Barkley, McCaffrey, etc.  But that man's earned his paycheck.  

And Tannehill... with every passing week, he's making himself more and more money.  I started optimistically thinking maybe $10M... then $15M, then $17M... and I think he's creeping into $20M territory right now.  Still 5 games to go... I've said before based on his previous efficiency stats, it doesn't seem sustainable... but I hope he continues this current streak, gets him into the playoffs, and makes it difficult for us not to resign him.  It's what I wanted out of Mariota, and it's what Tannehill is giving us.  I really like Tannehill out of A&M, and he had some early Stafford-like success early on (good stats that didn't necessarily translate to wins).  I just thought that he was pretty much done after the injury issues he went through the past few seasons... but here he is, playing better than ever at 31.  This level may not be sustainable... but if he can continue being efficient with the ball, and Henry has another run like he had to end the season last year, we could very well be playoff bound with momentum on our side.  

• Like 1

One thing I’ve noticed is the team has seemed a lot more fired up since Tanny as taken over. I know a lot of ppl have said it but I think the team had taken on Mariotas laid back personality. Seems like Tanny is a lot more fiery then Mariota and it’s showing. Outside of Lewan the offense had a lot of laid back players Henry, Davis, and Mariota. With the personalities of AJ and Tanny added it just seems different.

• Like 2

If Tannehill leads this team to an AFC South title, then sign him long term. If he leads this team to a WC, sign him to a short term deal(no longer than 2 maybe 3 years) but still draft a QB somewhat high(2nd round). If he doesn’t lead the team to the playoffs, I think long and hard about giving him a significant amount of money. Plus this assuming he stays healthy all season which he’s had trouble with

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 2

This is the offense we all thought we could be with the addition of the weapons. 

Scoring wise at least. I think I'd like to see more explosive plays in the passing game more consistently. But we are getting those plays nonetheless. 

Tanny has been the QB that Marcus was in 2016 and should have been from then on.

Radio said it best. I think it was Blaine Bishop. 

Said with Marcus we all felt the need to make it a passing offense. He was #2 pick so we need to throw it. When in reality he should been on the track to be what Tanny is now. 

The switch to Tanny gave the fans mainly an acceptance of being the run first team. Instead of putting the ball in the hands of our "#2" pick. 

It makes sense to me.  No longer is the expectation that the QB should throw for 200-300 yards. 

It is acceptable for 20 passes 189 yards and 2 TDs. 

With Marcus it was "he didn't do anything or Enough" if he had those numbers.