Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

28 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah you know me and my hatred of stats, especially for qbs. I also thought he played better than his stats. He didn’t play great either by any means. But based on everything I’ve seen of him I’m still pretty convinced he’s a franchise guy. And no I’m not looking at sand right now 🙂

Agreed.

One thing I really wish he’d do though is just shut up. He needs to tone his media game down. I hate that he feels like he needs to be edgy. He’ll learn we really don’t give a crap about him winning press conferences if he’s winning games. 

Yeah, just stop talking.

The “I’m just being me” stuff is what kids say who don’t know how to behave.  Just shut up.

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

On a scale of 1-10 how dumb was it for Baker to call out the training staff?

id put 8.5. He’s doing some really stupid stuff 

Unless he’s a physician it’s a full 10.  Unnecessary, probably untrue, uninformed, etc.  doesn’t get much dumber.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

That is who he is though, id rather have 14 games of obj full go than 14 games of obj with normal agility.

But can he come out and just dogged the staff. 

like that’s a badddddd look like they are the ones try to make sure yo loud talking *** is healthy and you just throw them under the bus like that. Idk man his leadership this year has been so rocky 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

On a scale of 1-10 how dumb was it for Baker to call out the training staff?

id put 8.5. He’s doing some really stupid stuff 

Honestly put me into fire Freddie territory because the cultural problem is too obvious and there's no way he's going to change that.

And I recognize it's not rational that this would be what would make me want to fire Freddie, but the amount of dysfunction that must exist in that locker room to call out your training staff after you won a game over some crap Baker isn't even involved in is unbelievable.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Honestly put me into fire Freddie territory because the cultural problem is too obvious and there's no way he's going to change that.

And I recognize it's not rational that this would be what would make me want to fire Freddie, but the amount of dysfunction that must exist in that locker room to call out your training staff after you won a game over some crap Baker isn't even involved in is unbelievable.

It goes higher than Freddie though.

Dorsey clearly gives no shts about culture or how Baker is acting or he’d have muzzled him by now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It goes higher than Freddie though.

Dorsey clearly gives no shts about culture or how Baker is acting or he’d have muzzled him by now.

I agree, I wouldn't be opposed to giving both the boot but I know Dorsey is going to get another hack at hiring a HC.

OBJ trade was a major mistake on multiple levels.  Changed the entire dynamic of our locker room and made us a weaker team.

I don't really have an opinion about Baker's training staff comments. Obviously he is speaking for OBJ there and trying to defend his teammate in a sense on why he doesn't look like he used to when he would blow past people and have unreal ball tracking abilities.

I don't know if the training staff would be upset about it. I imagine it was a collective decision and OBJ signed off on it but now has regrets and wishes he wouldn't have leaned the way he did at the staff's discretion but I don't think it would cause any turmoil or anything.

Well, some fans may get really upset and media members but Baker is the leader and will speak for his teammates and he didn't say anything that was outrageous, at least imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I agree, I wouldn't be opposed to giving both the boot but I know Dorsey is going to get another hack at hiring a HC.

OBJ trade was a major mistake on multiple levels.  Changed the entire dynamic of our locker room and made us a weaker team.

We have not beat Pittsburgh in how many years

we have not beat the ravens in there house in how many centuries 

of course we could have beat the bills if you did not have obj

Point obj and Landry are going to be the most productive wide receiver tandem

in there first year together then any other Browns duo.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't really have an opinion about Baker's training staff comments. Obviously he is speaking for OBJ there and trying to defend his teammate in a sense on why he doesn't look like he used to when he would blow past people and have unreal ball tracking abilities.

I don't know if the training staff would be upset about it. I imagine it was a collective decision and OBJ signed off on it but now has regrets and wishes he wouldn't have leaned the way he did at the staff's discretion but I don't think it would cause any turmoil or anything.

Well, some fans may get really upset and media members but Baker is the leader and will speak for his teammates and he didn't say anything that was outrageous, at least imo.

Question the training staff’s competence with how they dealt with another player’s injury is asinine.

I know you’ll defend Baker to the death, but he was out of line on that one and he knew it, that’s why he walked it back.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Question the training staff’s competence with how they dealt with another player’s injury is asinine.

I know you’ll defend Baker to the death, but he was out of line on that one and he knew it, that’s why he walked it back.

So if he says he made a bad throw he is questioning his own competence? Mistakes get made it doesn't mean you are bad at what you do. He said it was hindsight, I think we all agree that we would be better off had if OBJ had the procedure early and just missed a couple weeks in the beginning rather than watching him without the explosiveness that he showed in the past.

Maybe it wasn't his place but I think he was trying to have his teammate's back while stating the obvious, in hindsight.

I won't defend Baker on everything. Certainly not his play on the field but what I like about Baker and Freddie is that they don't spew PC BS all of the time. Sure feelings are going to get hurt from time to time but as long as it isn't malicious or inaccurate then you take the criticism and try to be better. That said I worked alongside a Marine for about 8 years and he was that way. 80% of the people at work didn't like him because of his brutal honesty but they all (well, most) went to him when they wanted to know the truth. So I have been desensitized a bit. I cut out telling partial truths and just owning whatever happened. I do not do the brutally honest thing with others though because most can't take it or any criticism because most people try to give the illusion of being flawless even though we all know that no one actually is.

So I have no problem with his commercials, his wedding, his training staff comments etc... I do have a problem with his sporadic inaccuracies of throwing behind receivers on crossing routes. I also don't like him locking on to receivers as often as he does but he doesn't trust his pocket and that's what QBs do when they don't trust their pocket. Hopefully we see him start feeling more comfortable if Hubbard stays out of the games. He hasn't been as bad as his 15 TD 16 INT or whatever it is but he hasn't been as good as last year or met expectations.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

So if he says he made a bad throw he is questioning his own competence? Mistakes get made it doesn't mean you are bad at what you do. He said it was hindsight, I think we all agree that we would be better off had if OBJ had the procedure early and just missed a couple weeks in the beginning rather than watching him without the explosiveness that he showed in the past.

Maybe it wasn't his place but I think he was trying to have his teammate's back while stating the obvious, in hindsight.

I won't defend Baker on everything. Certainly not his play on the field but what I like about Baker and Freddie is that they don't spew PC BS all of the time. Sure feelings are going to get hurt from time to time but as long as it isn't malicious or inaccurate then you take the criticism and try to be better. That said I worked alongside a Marine for about 8 years and he was that way. 80% of the people at work didn't like him because of his brutal honesty but they all (well, most) went to him when they wanted to know the truth. So I have been desensitized a bit. I cut out telling partial truths and just owning whatever happened. I do not do the brutally honest thing with others though because most can't take it or any criticism because most people try to give the illusion of being flawless even though we all know that no one actually is.

So I have no problem with his commercials, his wedding, his training staff comments etc... I do have a problem with his sporadic inaccuracies of throwing behind receivers on crossing routes. I also don't like him locking on to receivers as often as he does but he doesn't trust his pocket and that's what QBs do when they don't trust their pocket. Hopefully we see him start feeling more comfortable if Hubbard stays out of the games. He hasn't been as bad as his 15 TD 16 INT or whatever it is but he hasn't been as good as last year or met expectations.

I don't know man. "Inaccurate" is the key word here. The BS can also be the excuses people make up to explain the truth. Brutal honesty only works if you're actually right.

OBJ has been open on many occasions and the ball not thrown or poorly placed to him. He's gotten behind defenses and regularly made guys miss in the open field when he has caught it. Just a few weeks ago he was complaining that he can't get the ball to save his life. But now the terrible chemistry and sub par production between him and the QB is because he's been playing hurt all year. That's pretty f'ing convenient for everyone. Sounds an awful lot like an out to me, not honesty.

At this point I’m just tired of seeing or hearing anyone on this team in the media for any reason beyond individual ownership of a failed season. Don’t care the mitigating factors. Been a long season and fanhood in general. Commit the offseason to improving and not personal branding and kindling the hype machine. I will let myself get excited again when the talent translates to winning football. Fool me once. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It has nothing to do with being PC or brutally honest.  It's about having the self restraint not to say every single thing that comes into your head.  Especially when those things are ill informed, unprompted, and totally out of the realm of your expertise.  Nobody is going to respect you for "telling it how it is" when you're obviously full of s*** and everybody except you knows it.

And besides all that brutal honesty and good leadership aren't necessarily compatible with each other.  You aren't going to motivate anybody to perform better by telling them they are doing a terrible job.  Especially when you're a 24 year old performing poorly and acting like a moron.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It has nothing to do with being PC or brutally honest.  It's about having the self restraint not to say every single thing that comes into your head.  Especially when those things are ill informed, unprompted, and totally out of the realm of your expertise.  Nobody is going to respect you for "telling it how it is" when you're obviously full of s*** and everybody except you knows it.

And besides all that brutal honesty and good leadership aren't necessarily compatible with each other.  You aren't going to motivate anybody to perform better by telling them they are doing a terrible job.  Especially when you're a 24 year old performing poorly and acting like a moron.

My thoughts more or less verbatim.