Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

Here's what's wrong with Baker:

*He's skittish and afraid to take a hit.

*His abysmal footwork and off platform throws that worked in the Big XII aren't going to work in the NFL

*His technique, inconsistent arm slots, and inability to navigate the pocket or keep his eyes downfield are detrimental

*He's a slow processor that can't see/process more than 1/2 the field presnap

*He had a horrific offseason

*His attitude is awful. He's mopey, angry when things don't go his way, and he's developed an entitled attitude. 2019 he's a completely different person than 2013-2018 Baker, which is the reason we drafted him

*His turnovers, especially in the Red Zone, are consistent backbreakers

*His accuracy downfield is a joke

*His refusal to hit checkdowns are infuriating

He lacks poise, his nonverbal body language is poor, his technique is horrendous, and he's literally the worst QB in the NFL this year.

I'd expect 2020 to be more of the same unless he has a severe attitude/work ethic overhaul, and even then I'm skeptical of what he can do going forward. He's 30 games into his career...he may be whatever he is at this point.

• Like 1

I can't think that Baker has no chance of being a franchise QB. He broke the passing TD record for rookies. He's in elite company there with Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson. And he did it in fewer games than they did. It would be the Brownsiest thing ever for him to do that and then all of a sudden actually be terrible.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

I can't think that Baker has no chance of being a franchise QB. He broke the passing TD record for rookies. He's in elite company there with Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson. And he did it in fewer games than they did. It would be the Brownsiest thing ever for him to do that and then all of a sudden actually be terrible.

Yeah he may not be the next Brady or A-A-Ron, but I think he’s at least a capable starter for a long time.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he may not be the next Brady or A-A-Ron, but I think he’s at least a capable starter for a long time.

In my opinion,  if your the #1 overall pick in the draft as a QB, I don't want a "capable starter", I want a franchise QB that can carry a team on his back with his passing if need be.  If Baker becomes just a "capable starter" then he would be a total bust in my eyes.

Peace!!!

1 minute ago, cortes02 said:

In my opinion,  if your the #1 overall pick in the draft as a QB, I don't want a "capable starter", I want a franchise QB that can carry a team on his back with his passing if need be.  If Baker becomes just a "capable starter" then he would be a total bust in my eyes.

Peace!!!

I mean, cool?

Everyone wants Tom Brady, not many people are anywhere near a franchise QB, even top picks.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, cool?

Everyone wants Tom Brady, not many people are anywhere near a franchise QB, even top picks.

So true. The elite generational QBs are rare. Most QBs are somewhere between meh and very good. A good solid QB is good enough to win it all (just ask Eli)

• Like 1

There is one tom brady every 100 years of the nfl. 

Its not like there are 10 guys out there with 6 superbowls and more appearances out there. 

Baker was clearly the guy afyer year 1, he was awesome. Year 2 has been very shaky, but, i hope it is the kick in the teeth he needs. 

He can be great, 

I find myself subconsciously giving Baker the benefit of the doubt for his shortcomings this season. That's not to say that I'm unaware of his regression this year, as he straight up looks uncomfortable in the pocket...all the time. My hope is that an upgrade in the O-line this offseason will help him return to his old form. In the instances in which he appears rattled, his accuracy and decision-making are off-point. Obviously bolstering the line with above average talent is not the end all solution, but it will undoubtedly give him a consistently better pocket. I believe an offensive coaching staff that can adapt it's philosophy to Baker's skillset, his longer drop-backs, and inspire discipline to the point where WR's know where they're lining up, the play call is in with over :15 on the play clock, etc... can make Baker an incredibly successful QB who is capable of making all the throws more consistently.

Draft/Sign above average LT/RT/RG, getchu a top tier TE in them there drafts, maybe a long speedy versatile wideout in this deep-*** clizzass, and babam OBJ be like "Yoo we might win s'more games this yurr and I won't have to leave no mo!"

Edited by MistaBohmbastic
Good fake name idea: Remy Plibbins
  • Like 1

Right now I'd take a "capable starter" over the product on the field this season, not to mention there are currently 2 1st Round QBs in his own draft who have outperformed the #1 overall pick.

Total collaborative effort. Mayfield looks awful, Freddie has done an awful job, Monken is trash, and Dorsey ignored the OL/other glaring holes to add sizzle instead of meat and potatoes, while allowing a brash 23 year old to handpick his own coach. 

• Like 1

With Baker, I have two simple words......Soph Slump.....did we think our rookie record breaker would somehow be exempt from said possible Condition?

Soph slumps are real, they happen randomly to players. Baker didnt help himself, he did all those commercials, got married, had a passing camp in addition to training camp.....maybe he too Bit Off More Than He Could Chew also.....He should have kept Head down and Grind Stoned it out....

Baker has the same type of mentality as Freddie Kitchens.....these people come from NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING......and built themselves up to be in the positions where they are now, Whether its walking on to a D 1 Program twice, or taking a job on the First African American headed football staff in SEC history...they have always taken the Hard Road....those type of folks may get attitudes when things don't go right...but its more of an internal drive....not all of a sudden they develop a sense of entitlement??? That dosent make any type of sense to me......he's been looked down on, had to the hard road, defied the odds for 23 1/2 years....NOW all of a Sudden he's got a Johhny Manziel sense of entitlement developed in 6 month????

raw

Sounds pretty ridiculous to me......that would be the same as saying, Myles Garret who's been mr. poetry and dinosaurs all these years, is now Vontz Burffet because of the mason Rudolph incident.....1 period in time/1 incident, does not a life pattern make....

I mean does that make sense to anyone else?

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 4